ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIVE the mk2 ph1 clio

clio mk2 ph1
this is my first car and im looking to do subtle but nice mods to tidy (Clive) up abit :) i brought the car it had 3 wheels trims most of them damaged. i don't what it is but every clio i see its always the front driver side wheel trim missing :p. so first thing was take them of and discard of them but that left the rusty steel wheels behind i rocked around on these for a few weeks the only time it looked "okay" was at night when you couldn't see it. i don't have pictures of him at this time but im sure you can imagine. so i bought some Matt black paint and some shiny red and set about making the best of what ive got. the wheels where had bad deep rust so i took to them with an air grinder to clean as much as i could then the rest of the hard work by hand

file:///E:/dcim/100MEDIA/IMAG0092.jpg

this was the my finish and i dont think it looked to bad but as i live up a farm drive the seem to attract dust ! so plans changed to some alloys, idealy we would all like to afford some f1's for some 172 wheels but i feel my wallet and my insurance would not approve no matter how much i want them :p. i happened to be surfing the net and found these,

file:///E:/dcim/100MEDIA/IMAG0094.jpg

a few marks but for 30 quid i couldn't turn them down :p just needed two new tyres and with abit of fairy liquid and water they cleaned alot of dirty marks off.

i dont have a picture of the car with them wheels on but i will take one later and post on the thread

next on the list purchase some mk2 ph2 rear lights and some dual optic headlights
then find someone to tint the 3 rear windows :)

clio mk2 ph1
hi still think im having trouble figuring out this photo thing one quick question what spoiler do you think would suit my red ph1 ?

clio mk2 ph1
the painted steels ,
IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

and the alloys before a wash and Polish
since these pictures where taken i have taken a electric mop and t cut then a loving polish to it. looking nice and shiny
next on the list fit some ph2 lights and some dual optics if i can ever find some that arnt foggy :( .
also im thinking of tinting the rear 3 windows ? critisim is welcome :p

it sits so high but i cant afford the price the insurance would go up to lower it =/

clio mk2 ph1
but it seems like so much effort and im afraid i would completely mess it up plus dual optics look nicer :rasp:

want a spoiler so bad but not sure which one =/

clio mk2 ph1
i seem to gained an annoying whining what think alternator =/ are the hard to take out? i do have some mechanical knowledge but just wondering is it worth either swapping it or refurbing it? also is there much point putting a nice exhaust on a slow 1.2=/ i dont want anything chavvy that you cant hear yourself speak in the cab just something with a nice purrrrrrr :) hoping its a sunny day tomorrow give him a good clean and a polish and get some pictures .

clio mk2 ph1
update : been searching internet and insurance sites i have been quoted 3200 pounds for my 1.2 lowered and with some NICE alloys
thats bloody cheaper than what i pay now on it as standard ! i know what im doing when insurance renewal comes up =D

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Alternators are cheap just make sure you change the belt. Check the cambelt and Aux belt. As if they snap you'll have a nice big bill for the engine aha!

German V6
update : been searching internet and insurance sites i have been quoted 3200 pounds for my 1.2 lowered and with some NICE alloys
thats bloody cheaper than what i pay now on it as standard ! i know what im doing when insurance renewal comes up =D

You pay over 3000 for insurance !

clio mk2 ph1
You pay over 3000 for insurance !
yeap im 17 =/ thats the cheapest i could get on a silly slow 1.2 thats about the average insurance for my age group unless you go for something like a 998 mini but then its just rusty and bumpy as fook :p

clio mk2 ph1
Alternators are cheap just make sure you change the belt. Check the cambelt and Aux belt. As if they snap you'll have a nice big bill for the engine aha!

cool okay ill have a but of a poke around and diagnose the alternator make sure thats defiantly it.
then look at swapping it. also i think my belts will need doing soon had a quick gander in the service history cant see any knowledge of them being changed but think ill leave that to a mechanic don't wanna risk me moving something and being a tooth out then that heart doping moment when you hear your piston smash you valve and blow up =/ :p

German V6
yeap im 17 =/ thats the cheapest i could get on a silly slow 1.2 thats about the average insurance for my age group unless you go for something like a 998 mini but then its just rusty and bumpy as fook :p

I paid 1800 for my 1.2 when i passed at 17 is now 600 a year (i'm now 19 nearly 2years ncb)

Clio

i had my clio when i was 17, 1.2 and cost 600 own name fully comp, did go up when i passed but now 19 and its modified i pay 750ish. search about!

DCI100
Probably just you're alternator belt rubbing, easy to change if it snaps. plus you can get an alternator from the scrappy if needs be mate. If the cambelt as been done, recently or well within the last 5 years/ however many miles it is, then it'll be fine. snapped alternator belt/auxillary belt wont do any damage to the engine.

wheels look pretty cool

clio mk2 ph1
I paid 1800 for my 1.2 when i passed at 17 is now 600 a year (i'm now 19 nearly 2years ncb)
well i hunted everywhere and tried different set ups i.e my dad being main driver me named but in the end was cheaper for me to have my own insurance and have mum and dad as named drivers! stupid i know and a stupid amount of money =/

clio mk2 ph1
Probably just you're alternator belt rubbing, easy to change if it snaps. plus you can get an alternator from the scrappy if needs be mate. If the cambelt as been done, recently or well within the last 5 years/ however many miles it is, then it'll be fine. snapped alternator belt/auxillary belt wont do any damage to the engine.

wheels look pretty cool

yeah its not a squeak like a belt slipping its more of a whine so pretty sure its the alternator, would one way to tell be to take the belt of start it up and see if it still whines ? that shouldn't damage the engine just flatern the battery?

also on my small list of things get rid of the airbag service light ! by following the guide on here =)

DCI100
airbag service light is annoying..... and errr yeah that should work, run it first though and see if you can tell its the alternator just by listening.

maybe test the output with a multi meter if you can get your're hands on one. and if its damaged its a 20 min job to put a new one in max. at my local scrappy there's four clios. so parts are easy to get and cheap mate. by far you're best bet for an alternator

clio mk2 ph1
airbag service light is annoying..... and errr yeah that should work, run it first though and see if you can tell its the alternator just by listening.

maybe test the output with a multi meter if you can get your're hands on one. and if its damaged its a 20 min job to put a new one in max. at my local scrappy there's four clios. so parts are easy to get and cheap mate. by far you're best bet for an alternator

well ive got a week off work at the mo so i shall do some fault finding, ive got a multimeter but i dont see what doing that would tell me ? its charging my battery so it does work its just a whine like the top bearing in it is worn, i think ill swap it with one from the scrapy and probably have a tinker with the old one just to keep me occupied, whilst im at the scarpy ill get me some ph2 lights and wire them up.

DCI100
It may charge the battery but the output may not be as high as it should be for example..... being at the scrappy is fun, so many parts to be had

DCI100
Same, then you find something you didn't even realise you wanted! I'm now thinking of converting to electric mirrors and windows ! (never crosser my mind before today whilst at the scrappy )

DCI100
Agreed to buy them now ;), ahaha i like wiring, and electronic so will be a little fun :) electric window conversion is on the long long long list of things to do as well!

clio mk2 ph1
update on the whine slackened the belt of the alternator and got it out the way of the other pulleys in front of it, turned my engine over and the annoying whine had gone so of to the scrappy i go hopefully pic one up cheap. also if someone who knows abit about the ph1 1.2 engine could you pm your number as i have a few questions =D

clio mk2 ph1
went to the scrappy to get an alternator and some ph2 lights but my alternator seems to be different to every other car i saw. the red feed cable from the alternator is fine but the little white one mine is a round clip and every other one i saw is a long flat connector ? plus all the clio's there where stripped of lights =0 Evan quite a tidy ph2 van :rasp:

clio mk2 ph1
so picked up some new disc's and pads today and set about putting them on not to much trouble but the bottom sliding pin on the pad carrier was a right Bum but sprayed with wd40 got it in a vice and managed to get it free quick wet and dry to get the small amount of rust of and was good again =D one question will i need to bleed my brakes Evan tho i didnt dissconect any hose's?

few pics,
IMAG0098.jpg
IMAG0099.jpg
IMAG0100.jpg

clio mk2 ph1
nothing just a few pictures of my stoopidly high 4x4 clio
but my sisters boyfreind bought some new alloys but they dont fit his car so might be doing a swap :p i like his wheels more than mine

after a clean
IMAG0103.jpg
after a quick polish :) look how high it is ! but i dont plan to put any lowering kits on it as im buying a ph2 after my insurance runs out in november or something :p
IMAG0104.jpg