ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clonking new shocks & springs

Renault clio
Good evening all
I've just had new shocks and springs fitted to my 58 plate clio campus and there damn noisy.
The garage rechecked their work today and can see nothing amis but can hear the clonking too.
Would anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?
Thanks

Chris
IMG_20190916_164336.jpg

Are the top mounts just sticking out of the turrets and then dropping onto the turret face when the body is moving upwards and the surface is falling away, such as over a sharp bump?

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
That’s strange - it’s on the unload too, at the top - it’s not knocking on the way down.

Have you got new top mounts?

Renault clio
Evening,
White16valver: It's hard to see in the video but, as far as I could tell the top mount wasn't hitting the turret face.

Gez172: No new top mount that I'm aware of.

These were mot repairs and it's now passed. Both sides were done and both sides are the same.

Renault clio
Upon rewatching the video, I noticed an option called 'stabilise' which has shown up what the top mounts doing without the car body movement.

As mentioned above, is does indeed look like the top mount clashing against the turret.

When you look at that video, it looks like the struts are actually twisting within the hole?? (might just be my eyes, and if they are doing it, maybe they are meant to??)

IIRC it's not terrible if the damper top mounts are proud of the turrets, but I've never understood why, given you will surely have the body moving independently of the suspension over and bumps?!?

We need someone with some technical skills in here, rather than me :D lol

Do bump stops kind of hold everything in place? Could they be worn/missing? (Am guessing now.)

Renault clio
I'm going to try wedging some thin rubber or something between the top mount and turret and give it a bounce tomorrow.