ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch cable gone soft..stretched cable?

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
05 clio mk2 1.2 16v while driving noticed something was diffrent when pushing clutch peddle down to change gear. Felt easier to push it down than normal. It still changes gear fine except reverse u have to push clutch peddle right to the floor otherwise it grind into reverse. Am i right in thinking clutch cable has stretched? I installed 3 piece borge and beck clutch 6 months ago so clutch is ok. Also replaced gearbox oil at the same time even did full cambelt..car is at 78 thousend miles.I contacted renault parts and they want £70 for a clutch cable lol so iv found a borge and beck clutch cable for £25 just wanting to see what anyone else thinks it stretched cable and do you think b&b cable will be ok as google searches say to only use renult cables as aftermarkets known to snap months later

Land Rover
A stretched clutch cable won’t normally make for a lighter clutch. Clutch cables don’t suddenly “stretch” as such, it sounds like something has gone wrong with the clutch, a broken spring maybe.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
is there anything i can do to confirm nothing else is the problem? Its a big job to crack open the gearbox

PH2 172
is there anything i can do to confirm nothing else is the problem? Its a big job to crack open the gearbox

In view of the fact that you have had the gearbox off to change the clutch, make sure all the gearbox bell housing to engine bolts are present and tight.

I have seen a box that moved away from the engine rather than operate the clutch in the past.

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
I have noticed poor acceleration befor this happened but i put it down to tappets need adjusting as it has bad tappet noise and i know its a 1.2 but does feel low on power