ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coil over kits?

Renault Clio Extreme
hi I'm really new to all this as my question will prove..

i want to lower my car, preferabley with coil overs so i can go that extra bit lower.

like anyone else i would like to save as much money as i can, i have seen a cheap kit but it is for the clio 197 2.0l, i have a 1.2 extreme.. just a bit of knowledge seeking really but can i use these springs on my car? if not, why?

any info on this or where i could find some cheap kits would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! :D

172 Cup
DO NOT BUY CHEAP COILOVER'S. I cant stress this enough to be honest mate.

Cheap coilovers such as your racelands etc are gash, they will ruin the ride of your car, make it handle worse and cost you more money in the long run when you decide they are gash and want to change to something else. If you are going to go for coilovers you have to do it right, spending money on a make such as Bilstein, H&R, KW etc...then spend money having the car corner weighted and all of the alignment properly set up to get the best out of the coilovers.

You can lower your car on just spring yes which is perfectly fine if the car just gets used on the road day to day, but the preffered make/type are Eibach Sportlines which are very good indeed but dont offer to much in the way of a 'big drop', alternatively you could look at Apex springs which lower quite abit more but dont offer the ride comfort/quality of the Eibachs.

To save yourself some money keep checking on the forsale section on this site as there is allways sets coming up for sale, or ebay, or sign up to the site then you will get some discounts off the likes of kam racing, ktec etc etc ;)

Renault Clio Extreme
That is exactly what I was looking for mate, thank you! :)

What do you think to AP coil overs?
I know you dont know me but do you think I could fit a set myself.. As in are they simple?

172 Cup
No problem mate, I havnt had any direct experience of them but i would be looking into something like the brands that i mentioned in my previous post, be expecting to pay upwards of £650 for some decent coilovers brand new though.

Renault Clio Extreme
Il have a look and keep that in mind mate. Lets see how it goes haha!

Thank you again

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Speak to / PM / search for traders section: 519automotive/sideways danny (I don't know what he uses these days) in Bedford.

He's got some new kits out... not sure if they're for the non-sports but he'll soon tell you !

:evil:

As said seeing as you've only got a 1.2 , I'd imagine that super duper handling isn't the highest of priorities.

You can get the cheap coilovers, which will allow you to lower it, only thing is cheap ones do tend to ruin the ride comfort quite a bit.
But depends what your after.. For a budget your going to have to toss up between handling & looks.

A lot of people on here seem to like the AP coilovers as a low/mid range set, so they're a good.

Renault Clio Extreme
Thanks for all the help guys!

Il choose a set, fit them and upload a before and after pic if I can work out how to upload on here haha that will be another question later nearer the time lol

No need at all to go for expensive coilies on a 1.2. Go for a cheaper set.

Obviously don't go for something that looks like it was manufactured by a 5 year old, but the likes of Bilsteins/KWs etc are overkill on a 1.2.