ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

coilover choice?

Ph1 T
looking to get some coilovers for my 182 cup got around 8-900 to spend heard abit about h&r and the spax ones dont know a great deal about them though..
just need bit of advice see what would be the best ones to get fast road/track
cheers

182 cup
At the £800-900 mark you have 2 main options as it stands. H&Rs or spax, the Bilsteins I suspect will be a bit more when fully launched.
There is others (GAZ comes to mind but they seem to get bad reviews on the clios) but the above seem to be the main/best options.

H&Rs are fixed rate dampers which is good if you like them as they are out of the box (expert set them up, nothing to mess about with etc) not so good if you want to adjust. From what I've seen (been in a couple of clios that use them), they are a very good fast road setup but maybe a little bit soft for all out track use (better than stock but compared to say ASTs).
I haven't seen a Bilstein kit that doesn't work well yet, so that's promissing(since not out for it yet). If the normal setup (B14) is anything to go by, they should be very good, and serve well as fast road/track day setup.
The Spax setup has got adjustable dampers (advantage if you want to play with). Not many reviews of them about yet. They are aimed as fast road/track day setup, and judjing by their spring rates they should be a bit firmer that the H&Rs but, not sure.

I've taken a punt with the Spax setup, based on availability and price. Will be using them day to day as well as on track.

I suggest that unless you're after some straight away, you wait for more reviews on the Spax/Bilsteins and then make your choice based on what you think it's best for you. Any of the above will be an improvement over the standard setup, but some will suit you more than others. If you can try to get in cars that use the setups that you're considering to make up your own mind.

Ph1 T
At the £800-900 mark you have 2 main options as it stands. H&Rs or spax, the Bilsteins I suspect will be a bit more when fully launched.
There is others (GAZ comes to mind but they seem to get bad reviews on the clios) but the above seem to be the main/best options.

H&Rs are fixed rate dampers which is good if you like them as they are out of the box (expert set them up, nothing to mess about with etc) not so good if you want to adjust. From what I've seen (been in a couple of clios that use them), they are a very good fast road setup but maybe a little bit soft for all out track use (better than stock but compared to say ASTs).
I haven't seen a Bilstein kit that doesn't work well yet, so that's promissing(since not out for it yet). If the normal setup (B14) is anything to go by, they should be very good, and serve well as fast road/track day setup.
The Spax setup has got adjustable dampers (advantage if you want to play with). Not many reviews of them about yet. They are aimed as fast road/track day setup, and judjing by their spring rates they should be a bit firmer that the H&Rs but, not sure.

I've taken a punt with the Spax setup, based on availability and price. Will be using them day to day as well as on track.

I suggest that unless you're after some straight away, you wait for more reviews on the Spax/Bilsteins and then make your choice based on what you think it's best for you. Any of the above will be an improvement over the standard setup, but some will suit you more than others. If you can try to get in cars that use the setups that you're considering to make up your own mind.

cheers for info mate yeah maybe will do that wait over next few months see what reviews are like on the spax/bilsteins i was looking at the spax other day... what do you reckon to the spax so far pal

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
As Danny has developed the Spax I'd be happy to try that on a car. Its a good price as well. The H&R's are good, certainly the customers who have bought them from us seem happy. The B14 kit is not really going to be too dissimilar to the bilstein kit for non cups, maybe Fred has slightly stiffened everything but I guess all will be revealed in good time. You sort of know what you are getting really.

182 cup
I haven't got them yet. I've ordered them as a part of the current group buy. They should be with me early Nov, so will fit them when I've got them.
You're not a million miles away from me (N Lincs) so you're more than welcome to have a ride when fitted to see if they suit what you're after.

cheers for info mate yeah maybe will do that wait over next few months see what reviews are like on the spax/bilsteins i was looking at the spax other day... what do you reckon to the spax so far pal

Ph1 T
I haven't got them yet. I've ordered them as a part of the current group buy. They should be with me early Nov, so will fit them when I've got them.
You're not a million miles away from me (N Lincs) so you're more than welcome to have a ride when fitted to see if they suit what you're after.

Yeah that would be spot on pal if you could give me a pm when you get them well sort something out cheers bud

182 cup
No prob, althought if I want to be honest, I suggest you remind me in a couple of weeks by pm, otherwise I'll either forget, or won't remember who I was supposed to be pm'ing :eek:

Last edited:
  Rb Clio 182
i had gaz coil overs on my previouse clio and dont 15k on them and they was on the car when i bought it and they were great felt like they were new .
i got another clio now and got brand new v maxx coilovers on it and there rubbish .
ill b going back to gaz after christmas

cheers gavin

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
i had gaz coil overs on my previouse clio and dont 15k on them and they was on the car when i bought it and they were great felt like they were new .
i got another clio now and got brand new v maxx coilovers on it and there rubbish .
ill b going back to gaz after christmas

cheers gavin

LOL Gaz are worse than vmaxx and more money!!!!

Rb Clio 182
I found gaz alot better than v maxx dont now why just seem a bit better on the road thank v maxx might be tho cause the one with gaz had a lot lower miles :mad: