ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover Helpers help?

Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
A lot of my friends with other cars have taken the helpers out of the coilovers so it drops lower. Is this safe because surely the rear spring is just going to be moving and rattling about, which then in turn could lead to the rear spring popping out if the rear axle is dropped if hitting a pot hole or something like that? The help holds it in place so in my head it is not secure? Any help would be amazing? :D

S4 Avant
If your rear beam is moving about enough to let the springs drop out, your shocks are seriously fucked.

Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
no there not, they are brand new, its just a thought that they might move and rattle? or maybe cause worse problems?

Cup In bits
I think your confusing coilover's where the spring is part of the shock absorber and can't fall out and separate spring and shocker setup where the springs are secured by keeping tension on the axle via the shock absorber's.

You won't have helper springs on the later setup anyway but yes they can be removed on coilover's, it usually wears the shock assembly quicker as its not being used in its designed range. Also some guys have sleeves machined to replace the helper spring's, helper springs are usually 'coil bound' anyway the height that people run there cars at.

Clio 1.2 16v Extreme
yeh the lads i know class the rear adjustor's as "helpers", but the rear spring "hole" at the bottom is bigger then the rubber base and the rear adjuster makes it so it is snug in the rubber base. it is secure so it wont come out but it wont be secure side to side. So if i remove will it not just rattle about side to side as it is not secure?

S4 Avant
yeh the lads i know class the rear adjustor's as "helpers", but the rear spring "hole" at the bottom is bigger then the rubber base and the rear adjuster makes it so it is snug in the rubber base. it is secure so it wont come out but it wont be secure side to side. So if i remove will it not just rattle about side to side as it is not secure?

Take the adjusters out, bolt the shocks back up, and lower the car back down. If you can kick those springs out I'll give you a tenner.