ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers - H&R vs GAZ?

Fiesta ST200
I've come to the conclusion that its proving difficult to find a decent 182 trophy. So I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a normal 182 cup or 182 with cup suspension.

My question is this.

There are only a few coilovers on the market that are fully adjustable front and rear. With damping adjusters as well. Which ones are the pic of the bunch?

I'm tempted by the H&R's but kam racing don't mention if the damping is adjustable? If they aren't then I will have to hold for GAZ golds.

I need it to be adjustable as it will be my daily as well as track car.

Thoughts on H&R vs GAZ?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
There are more than just the ones you've listed!

H&R, KW, FK etc etc.

All of which will come highly recommended from here.

GAZ on the other hand. Stay well away!

You will only have problems, that is speaking from experience.

If it is between the two, H&R till the cows come home.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Nothing wrong with H&Rs on a track car. I fitted them to the Trophy for a change, & that did nothing but get spanked on track.

Also, uve been looking for a Trophy for a week lol, theres about 8 for sale at the moment iirc.

Fiesta ST200
There are more than just the ones you've listed!

H&R, KW, FK etc etc.

All of which will come highly recommended from here.

GAZ on the other hand. Stay well away!

You will only have problems, that is speaking from experience.

If it is between the two, H&R till the cows come home.

Thanks mate, really helpful :)

Do the H&R ones comes with damping/rebound adjustment? I know they are height adjustable front and rear.

Fiesta ST200
Nothing wrong with H&Rs on a track car. I fitted them to the Trophy for a change, & that did nothing but get spanked on track.

Also, uve been looking for a Trophy for a week lol, theres about 8 for sale at the moment iirc.

I've been looking for a trophy for quite a while before I sold the RS :)

Are the H&R's damping/rebound adjustable? I know they are height on front and rear :)

172/1.2/E30
H&R's have fixed damping (which is pretty good though). But they seem to have problems with getting play in the front struts (speaking from expierence). But i guess coilovers will never be a fit and forget thing :(.

Fiesta ST200
Does anybody know how much the spax rsx units lower by? I understand they are damping adjustable, but how much adjustability in the height? K tec list 25mm but surely they go down further?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The SPAX rsx kit fits the 182.

Seem highly rated on here. Speak to Danny@519Automotive i think he can supply them.

Tbh I think the "highly rated on here" is pushing it a bit, can't think of anyone on here with much experience of other kits who like them particuarly, its more people just comparing them to worn out standard suspension raving about them.
Dont get me wrong I'm not saying they are rubbish, they aren't but they are a pretty budget brand and the way some people on here bang on about them its like they are AST equivalent when they are not!

here is cheap if you did decide to go that route:
http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/spax-rsx-coilovers/renault/clio-b.html

personally I would much sooner have the gaz though, as far as budget coilies go, in fact that's what I do have on mine currently. Will get some proper AST on at some point though probably when I can justify spending a bit more on it (did about 5k on engine and box last month so can't at the moment :( )

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've been looking for a trophy for quite a while before I sold the RS :)

Are the H&R's damping/rebound adjustable? I know they are height on front and rear :)

You're doing it wrong ;) Both Gally, Stan & myself have bought Trophy's (all for less than £4k, decent) within the past 2 weeks lol.

H&R's are fixed, but tbh, unless you really know what you are doing, which most on here dont, there is no need for adjustability imho. The H&R's do suffer from a slightly softer rear damper when compared to the front, but that problem is generally solved by fitting a Whiteline ARB to stiffen up the rear end. They felt VERY similar to my Sachs/Sportline/Whiteline combo, so i was very pleased with the change.

172, Tiguan
AST's are overkill for 99.9999% of users on here imo.

Try and find yourself a pair of older style H&R's (before they went slightly ropey) and they'll suit all your needs. They are well made and provide a very compliant ride for use on English roads.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
AST's are overkill for 99.9999% of users on here imo.

Try and find yourself a pair of older style H&R's (before they went slightly ropey) and they'll suit all your needs. They are well made and provide a very compliant ride for use on English roads.

Yeah the H&R are great on the road IMHO.

Fiesta ST200
You're doing it wrong ;) Both Gally, Stan & myself have bought Trophy's (all for less than £4k, decent) within the past 2 weeks lol.

H&R's are fixed, but tbh, unless you really know what you are doing, which most on here dont, there is no need for adjustability imho. The H&R's do suffer from a slightly softer rear damper when compared to the front, but that problem is generally solved by fitting a Whiteline ARB to stiffen up the rear end. They felt VERY similar to my Sachs/Sportline/Whiteline combo, so i was very pleased with the change.

I probably am haha!

What is the H&R and white line combo like on track?

Black Gold Trophy
As others have said, you could always buy a 182 cup/cup packed and fit trophy dampers.

That's what I have on mine along with Trophy Turinis, Recaros and Trophy spoiler (if you wanted to go the whole shabang)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What is the H&R and white line combo like on track?

My write up for the Trophy forum:

Well, after fitting them last week, setting the front camber to -2 degrees negative on Friday and doing the Llandow trackday with CS yesterday, i can safely say that the H&R's are very worthy replacement to the Sachs.

Handling is nigh on exactly the same as the Sachs/Sportline combo that i had previously, with an improved ride quality for day to day use. Obviously i have a Whiteline rear ARB that helps stiffen the rear end up a bit - the rear dampers are quite soft when compared to the front (as per the standard kit), but overall it gives nigh on the same handling properties as previously, ie decent front end grip, with a delightful adjustability on the throttle.

Trail brake into corner, turn in, slight lift, rear ends comes into play, lessen steering, accelerate. Wonderful.

So yeah, if your Sachs are knackered, & you want a worthy replacement (albeit for roughly the same money as a front refurb), that drives the same as standard, the choice is most definately H&R.

DSC8812.jpg

Fiesta ST200
Cheers for the thoughts guys! I really appreciate it. I ended up going for Spax RSX (the dearer ones). I'll report back next week with how they feel once I get them fitted :)