ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers on a 172, is it really worth it?

Chocolate Bar™
Contemplating getting a set of coilovers for my 172. So far however the handling is superb, and is as good as my 1.2 was when on coilovers. So weighing up whether to just get some eibach/apex springs to get the look and improve the handling slightly, or going the whole hog and getting a good set of coilovers. I'm not planning on tracking it until next year, however its def a possibility.

Any opinions welcome :approve:

Chocolate Bar™
yeah thats what I was considering to be honest. Report back with how you get on ;)

CTR--VX220D
Believe me - the handling on a std 172 is pish compared to one on adjustable coilovers.

I wouldnt even be contemplating this.... buy them!

Oh, but I drive my cars hard so need upgraded suspension.....I also have my Clio as a weekend/track car...... do you want a comfy runnaround??? if so then dont buy them! ;)

Chocolate Bar™
that what I thought to be honest fred, I was shocked by how well it handles. I may be coming to see you for some eibach's very soon ;)

We also need to talk exhausts!

Chocolate Bar™
lol, now thats the problem. I loved the lowness of the 1.2, but then again they are about 2 foot higher than they should be as standard. Its a tough one.

Chris - I actually found the fks to be quite comfortable on the 1.2, maybe i've just got a numb arse ;)

Turbos.
I like the standard handling of the 172. The problem with slamming the car is that you have to go twice as fast before you start having fun...

So depends how you use the car i guess.

I'd enjoy the car as it is for now, you've not had it long! Save a little month and decide next year when you're gearing up for a trackday.

Chocolate Bar™
^ wise words indeed. To be honest at the mo i'm thinking eibachs for the time being (purely for vanity reasons as its just too high at the mo) and the coillies next year after spending my money more sensibly on making the car mint.

Hodgey- your just a bloody bad influence ;)

Chocolate Bar™
Now thats why i'm tempted because they were so good on my 1.2, but then again the standard suspension on the lower models is death trap worthy standard.

but the way its handling at the mo i'm leaning towards the 'is it worth spending 700 quid on suspension when it handles this well as standard'. But then if i get springs and find i want coilovers, i would have wasted a aload of money on fitting, tracking etc

Megane R26
Once I got H&R's, I was so amazed at what you can do with the car. Also getting them set up properly helps. Defo worthwhile upgrade if your going for outright handling. Loves'It.....Knows'It :D

i lowered my 182 on springs, and i wouldnt bother with coilovers.. dont really think i need them for road use, handling is spot on as it is

Cooper S JCW
Get the Eibach Sportlines like me - quality - 30mm down all round and better ride than standard in my opinion!

Chocolate Bar™
JLO - seriously it handles so much better than the 1.2 did its ridiculous, and with them being lower as standard 35mm will look low enough... but u know they'll be going on as soon as funds prevail lol

munchkin - if u still wanna meet on sunday with the bumpstrips i'll have to have a look at your car, wanna see if its low enough for me ;)

CTR--VX220D
ON another note - I had the Eibach ProKit springs on my VX220 at one point and they were fantastic. A nice cheap way of improving looks whilst keeping the fantastic handling characteristics of the VX.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Apex's are better for appearance IMO, but my Eibach Pro's have certainly sured up the ride and handling while leaving a standard look.

Chocolate Bar™
is proline the one for handling, sportline the one for looks?

seeing as one of my wheels is buckled *b******s :evil:* i'm looking at some sportlines for the short-medium term and sorting the wheels out.

may have to find someone with sportlines and beg them for a lift somewhere lol

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, Pro's keep the height the same basically but improve the handling, whereas Sports lower it more, and improve the handling, but not as much as the Pros... I think.

Lionel Richie
sportlines and pros offer the same handling IMO, just one lowers more than the other

whats the reg of your 172 Middo??? i know of a yellow 172 that was sold ages ago with a buckled wheel (it was a Y plate)

I've had a great time hanging the arse out in my great low looking apex shod 172 tonight.

Eibachs were great but they only just edged the standard springs in track performance only.

Chocolate Bar™
sportlines and pros offer the same handling IMO, just one lowers more than the other

whats the reg of your 172 Middo??? i know of a yellow 172 that was sold ages ago with a buckled wheel (it was a Y plate)

its an X plate. X49 SOB. i went to oxford for it, but its originally from nantwich/crewe area.

decisions decisions... think i'll have to come upto yozzasport for a little look round next week when ive decided what i want / how much money i have lol

Now thats why i'm tempted because they were so good on my 1.2, but then again the standard suspension on the lower models is death trap worthy standard.

but the way its handling at the mo i'm leaning towards the 'is it worth spending 700 quid on suspension when it handles this well as standard'. But then if i get springs and find i want coilovers, i would have wasted a aload of money on fitting, tracking etc
Stock suspension is fine IMO.

No point ungrading if your happy when you get bored change.

Chocolate Bar™
^ wise words edde. opted to go for springs (to avoid the tractor image) as the handling is more than adequate for me at the mo.

i also seriously need a new set of alloys as mine are fooked. one of them is proper buckled and pissing me off as i can feel it through the wheel :(