ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers or Springs for 172?

Renault Clio 172
Hi all,

I've got a 172 PH2, and I want to lower it before I get my wheels sprayed Graphite.

I've heard with springs that you need to replace the shock absorbers as well otherwise it will knacker them up?

Is there a big benefit to having coilovers over springs?

How much am I looking at?

Are they easy to fit?

Cheers for the help people.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Hi all,

I've got a 172 PH2, and I want to lower it before I get my wheels sprayed Graphite.

I've heard with springs that you need to replace the shock absorbers as well otherwise it will knacker them up?

Is there a big benefit to having coilovers over springs?

How much am I looking at?

Are they easy to fit?

Cheers for the help people.

All depends on your budget and if your going to be doing any track days mate. Idealy coilovers are the way to go - H&R's are the best but cost around £800 iirc. Theres a group buy on FK's atm which are also very good apparantly.

If your on a budget or just for road use go for some eibach springs (best handling wise for clio sports) - eibach sportlines (what i have atm) offer a small drop (about 20-25mm) an improve the feel imo. Eichbach prolines are another option but dont really drop the car at all but improve handling. Both retail around £130. No need to replace shocks either unless you want to - standard cup shocks are more than fine.

Fitting springs is really simple and there are sme really good guides around if you need help. Coilovers will probaly need setting up properly (for the camber)

Gaz