ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers / shocks / springs on Standard dampers

Trophy Rep
Hi! My first post here

Just wondering what to do, my car looks jacked up like
A monster truck atm currently sitting on 15's ( need to upgrade)
Just need to go lowered
Was looking at some cheap apex springs that sit on
Standard shocks but after reading up that's a rough ride
And coilys say about bolt spacings and I can measure mine

HELP!!! :D

Westy. MX5
Just buy some Eibach Sporline springs, look out for decent used ones for £60 -£80, they will be ok with standard dampers and will sop the roly, poly feel on corners.
Coilover route is expensive and no, you can't set them up yourself properly, roughly, yes. On a 1,2 is there need for them.

Evo 8 MR
Just buy some Eibach Sporline springs, look out for decent used ones for £60 -£80, they will be ok with standard dampers and will sop the roly, poly feel on corners.
Coilover route is expensive and no, you can't set them up yourself properly, roughly, yes. On a 1,2 is there need for them.

Yes, springs don't lower the car enough.

Trophy Rep
What difference is eibach to any other springs?
I read goin lower than 40mm on standard dampers is a bad idea
And Im wanting 60mm?
So coily adjustment isn't that simple then?

Westy. MX5
Yeh, 40mm. is about the limit just changing springs. You'll be able change to a more sportycar for the cost of coilovers and set up. Not forgetting they will de value your car when you come to sell it.

Westy. MX5
You'll only be able to sell such a lowered car to a few other youngsters who want to be Looooooowwwww. Your 1.2 will as a standard car will appeal to thousands of 1st. time drivers and young mums as a cheap runaround. Dealers are unlikely to give you anything.

If you want to go lower, i would defiantly say get coilovers. You'll end up wanting to go lower like myself and others.
Here's a few pics to help you

Lowered on Sportlines:
SDC11501.jpg

Lowered on FK Silverline X Coilovers:
SDC17294.jpg

/Wh0rege

hope that helps

1st one is sportlines, so what ever they are? 45mm approx iirc.

2nd on the Fk's, as low is it will go on the rear springs provided without removing the adjuster plates. the front Im not sure. just screwed them down to where i felt was right. (measured equally on both sides)

what make? send us a link.

You worked out what bolt spacing you'll need. IIRC as yours is a 16v (same as mine) you'll need 58mm

Last edited:
  Trophy Rep
It says I don't have permission to Access the first link! Urely if it has 2 year warranty there all right.? Basically I wanna lower it and don't wanna pay more than I need to, I want as cheap as poss but not hard skate ride eg decked 60mm on original dampers?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
40mm on standard shocks will be abit rough, Im currently on 40mm lowering springs and it looks like this:

IMG_0020.jpg

Just bought some Rokkor coilovers for £160.20 that's with a cliosport.net discount because I asked them nicely :rasp: The bolt spacing on your Clio will be 58mm. Ive yet to fit them, but bare in mind you'll need camber bolts, spacers and possibly new top mounts when getting coilovers.

Westy. MX5
If you go for the Coilovers Edd, keep your original Springs and dampers and re fit them before you sell the car.

I dont see why you'll NEED camber bolts, spacers or top mounts. I re-used my topmounts from the standard suspension. Spacers arn't needed but will make it look better. Camber bolts will vary between coilovers, i didn't need them with mine.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I dont see why you'll NEED camber bolts, spacers or top mounts. I re-used my topmounts from the standard suspension. Spacers arn't needed but will make it look better. Camber bolts will vary between coilovers, i didn't need them with mine.

You don't NEED them, I think it depends, id spoken to a few people on here with Rokkor's and they all needed them, at the end of the day If I don't need mine I'll sell em ;) Spacers = stance, I want. Top mounts, well think it depends on your current ones, but mine are f**ked so just bought some nice new ones.

You don't NEED them, I think it depends, id spoken to a few people on here with Rokkor's and they all needed them, at the end of the day If I don't need mine I'll sell em ;) Spacers = stance, I want. Top mounts, well think it depends on your current ones, but mine are f**ked so just bought some nice new ones.

Spacers do = win, Cant say im not running them either. As I am, with a better ET wheelset as well.

Trophy Rep
Okay what gain do I get from buying spacers an top mounts etc
If I buy a new suspension shock set not coilys will I need those bits? I hate hassley little bolts etc :L

You wont need to know about them, but the suspension unit will still have to come out for the new springs to go on the front. the rears are Piss easy though if your just doing the springs.

Spacers will give the car more stance and push the wheels out further giving a bigger impact and more aggressive look.
top mounts are used to hold the suspension unit to the car at one end, having solid top mounts improves handling as the suspension unit doesnt move as much under corning, where as a normal unit will flex. however at the end of the day its a 1.2 so its more for show rather than go. So take that into consideration as well.

Trophy Rep
well can someone suggest the bits I should buy? Coilys springs or shocks? I'm going 60mm links please
Thanks for everything so far!

60mm will give a pretty harsh ride, not sure who to recomend for a drop like that on springs.
See my first post to the drop they give.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
The alloys are Kie forces 10's 15inch in hypersilver, managed to pick them up on the cheap a year ago, not sure how much they'd cost now.

You'd need uprated shocks if you were going for a 60mm drop most likely.

Trophy Rep
mdp91, what suspension kit have you got? and did you say they were 15's?
i have 15's and i like your drop in the first pic, dont really wanna be as low as the second one for the extra amount

anyone got any links to some decent shock kits then? i cant find any anywhere, atleast not for cheap, i can only find spax for like 450

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Hello mate, well I'm currently on 40mm springs and standard shocks, which is fine to be honest, its bumpy, but bearable. I only posted one picture btw? And yes, they are 15" wheels.

The coilovers look good although I don't know if anyone has used them before, but do some research and see if they are decent first. You don't NEED spacers, but it will probably look better if you do, Ive just bought 25mm spacers from Ebay for £54. They come in a pack of 2. You probably won't need any at the back.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-...104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c18824620

Trophy Rep
hmm I'll look around but I might go with coilys as I don't like the idea of a bumpy ride and can't find a shock and spring set of 60mm, will those be the right spacers for mine to? Put a pic up when you can :D