ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers vs Adjustables

Skoda Fabia vRS

the price difference is about £100

now apart from the obvious height adjustment ability, is there really much difference in the handling performance of the two......

i cant see it being that much myself, and for £100 is it worth the extra, bearing in mind i would be pushing my finances to go with the coilovers...

well, who makes what, what are adj ones adj for, rebound only?

Whats the compressions and rebound adj ratio on the coilovers, gas or oil.....loads of things to look at.

Least of your worries is whether the spring platform goes up or down.

Skoda Fabia vRS

well i was gonna buy a Spax adjustable kit..........or i might be able to stretch to AVO or GAZ coilovers

Brun Just fitted a pair of Gaz coilovers on a Williams . One big problem the shocker shaft is to long and would easily hit the bonett when shut. Had to lift the bonett catch as far as it would go up and fit some spacers between the shocker platform and the suspension turret. Customer ok it but im not convinced that they wont mark the bonett at some point

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

heh sounds good, wouldnt the top of the shaft have to be like 4" long? there is load of room from the top of my turret to the bonntet, though i dont have coilovers.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Thanks for sorting that for us Nick, dont think itll be a problem unless I go off roading. But I put the clio through its paces tonight with the coilovers the handling is much better than standard no lean through high speed corners.:)

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

Quote: Originally posted by MartinS on 25 September 2003

Thanks for sorting that for us Nick, dont think itll be a problem unless I go off roading. But I put the clio through its paces tonight with the coilovers the handling is much better than standard no lean through high speed corners.:)
Whats the ride like compared the the standard parts? Id like to uprate mine but im leaving it at the standard height.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

The ride is much harsher and the car isnt much good on bumpy b roads. But I could soften it but on decent roads it is MUCH better before I used to get understeer and tyre squeal maybe the standard dampers were knackered. At the moment the car is lowered 40mm front and standard rear, might lower back 25-30mm, lower at the front than back gives better turn in apparently.

Skoda Fabia vRS

how hard have you got them set ?

try running it a bit softer and it shouldnt be as skittish over bumps...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

At the moment they are on the middle setting, 16 point adjustable I think god knows what the hardest setting is like. But might try other settings when Ive had torsion bar adjusted and 4 wheel alignment done.

Brun, I had AVO adjustables with Chassis Dynamics springs fitted to my valver and the ride is excellent. Lowered 35 mm but it looks alot lower (Mine was the silver 16v on Sunday)...Ive set them to about half way back and front....transformed the handling and it doesnt rattle your spine to pieces!

williams and trophy

yeah gotta admit if ur goin coilovers id say AVO are the ones to get. no probs to fit, not too harsh a ride just nice n firm an ready for any corner u chuck it at

since iv had mine the handling has been transformed..........but it does want raising a little at the front to bring it back level lol

how far can the avos be lowered, cant remember if it was those i saw, the magazine said it was tested to 35mm drop, but can they go lower? i was looking for about 80mm on the new model clio

williams and trophy

well the shox that are on mine are nowhere near their lowest setting lol

and the tyres are just nicely level with the arches,causes a little scrubbing at times but..........

cant realy go any lower on mine with it having te slightly wider track cos its a willy.

also the shox for the willy are difrent to any other model, i.e 16v 1.4 etc again cos the willy has the wider track so the top mounts are slightly diffrent