ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colesy 182 turbo revival

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Removed the battery tray from the relocated battery today, glad I did as I had been tempted to keep it but will relocate back into the engine bay.
If you look closely it was held in with 4 self tapper screws 🙄 the car that keeps on giving aye!
E2AA92C6-3728-4958-86B6-A8F3B4E6A46C.jpeg

As frustrating as this project is being im so glad I’m being able to give it a second lease of life.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Been out working on the 182 today. But it’s so cold I wasn’t out for long. Can’t wait for 20 degree days and long evenings!! Anyway another day another idiotic bodge from someone, who uses a 13mm headed bolt to keep the top dash in🙄

Attachments

• 86545C82-9F02-45E1-BC5A-AC6DD52D9978.jpeg
    86545C82-9F02-45E1-BC5A-AC6DD52D9978.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 143

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Some progress today! Subframe back on with new lower arm (offside was already new) new arb bushes inside and out. Also replaced the steering arm and track rod ends .

Fitted the rear pms studs, and ran a new fuel return line to the tank as the old one was too short. Aiming to have it rolling this weekend as long as everything arrives. Then I’ll just have to build the engine and throw that in. The end is nearing!

If anybody would be interested in a home made boost kit give me a message, it doesn’t fit the best but does work fine etc I will be getting the ED boost hose kit with intercooler
081AF54B-35C3-4EF6-8DAB-153578FE3067.jpeg
04C7AF34-6506-4DD0-8E8C-63ABC5F49B78.jpeg
0AB9A0CE-DFF0-45D0-A718-E40C2EC52736.jpeg
E5161B26-CF17-480E-BA03-A16D9E68A936.jpeg

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I need to order some engine bits and I want to order the thicker Megane gasket. Do I need to order a clio headset and then just a Megane headgasket, or can I just order a Megane headset? I’m not sure if the rest of the gaskets transfer over from 172 to Megane 225?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
So it’s been a while but still going. Some things have happened meaning when the car is complete my dad will be having it back and enjoying it for himself, ashame for me but that’s life! I’ll still get to enjoy it at some point!
Anyway, lots of progress. We got the gearbox rebuilt and diff serviced by the main man @NorthloopCup top service and really recommend.
Engine is now built and back in the car, just waiting for a few niggly bits to arrive and then it’ll be plumbed in. Hoping to have it running this week! Ordered a new intercooler and boost hoses from ED and hope to relocate the battery back to the engine bay.
The PMS shifter has now been removed abs fitted to my 172 as dad wants this to be more road than race car.
That’s it for now I’m not one with words!!
BA44EF58-293C-4214-AC8C-CAE801C95250.jpeg
74B5EB0A-8FDC-400F-96AF-EB4C86832356.jpeg
55627FC4-1D24-432E-A0AD-31A9A294A2BF.jpeg
65A30BFF-3600-4070-BC66-7513FBFC63FB.jpeg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So it’s been a while but still going. Some things have happened meaning when the car is complete my dad will be having it back and enjoying it for himself, ashame for me but that’s life! I’ll still get to enjoy it at some point!
Anyway, lots of progress. We got the gearbox rebuilt and diff serviced by the main man @NorthloopCup top service and really recommend.
Engine is now built and back in the car, just waiting for a few niggly bits to arrive and then it’ll be plumbed in. Hoping to have it running this week! Ordered a new intercooler and boost hoses from ED and hope to relocate the battery back to the engine bay.
The PMS shifter has now been removed abs fitted to my 172 as dad wants this to be more road than race car.
That’s it for now I’m not one with words!!
View attachment 1531181View attachment 1531182View attachment 1531183View attachment 1531184

Good progress! At least if going back to your dad then I am assuming you can still borrow it 😁 What clutch are you running?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Good progress! At least if going back to your dad then I am assuming you can still borrow it 😁 What clutch are you running?
That’s the plan 😂 I’m not 100% sure on the model (forgot to look before i put it back together!) but it’s a helix one and it was in good condition, looked barely worn.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
So it’s been a while and you have may have seen this old bucket in the for sale section. Since the last update a lot has happened but equally not a lot has happened.
I had a week off in April this year and got the engine in and running but it never ran well. From initial start up it had a slight misfire which I thought was electrical but never got to the bottom of. One day I decided to drive it, I got to the bottom of the driveway and it went from a slight misfire to no compression. Great!
Managed to round up my neighbours and get pushed back, put it in the garage and didn’t even look at the car for 2 months. (This is when I bought that rusty mx5 what a mistake that was 😂)
So the head had to come off, as suspected 8 bent inlet valves and after some investigation found the cambelt tensioner had failed. Now to note this tensioner came with a car that I broke and I now suspect that even though it was in a Renault box it was a fake rep off eBay as lots of other parts that car came with were infact eBay special. It is what it is and lesson learnt!
So now a nice rebuilt cylinder later, new lifters, cat cam springs, supertec inlet valves and wossner inconel exhaust valves she’s back together and running better than ever. It’s also important to know I haven’t been bank rolling this project this is my dads car still.
Until now, he’s been back and forth but he’s bored of the car and I’ve wanted to buy it from when I started this project, we came to an agreement so it is now mine. I suspect my 172 will need to go at some point but for now I have 2 of these French tin cans (again!)
And I hear you ask ‘what’s his dad replaced the Clio with’ and to that I answer a 1975 green over tan Lancia Fulvia, just a little bit different but as he said ‘more suited for a 66 year old’ 🤣
Anyway that’s enough of my rambling for now, I have plans and the project is on going but it now runs and drives well. Cheers.
81ECB62E-3683-445B-8233-ACB2F7636A7F.jpeg
AB38C532-CC4A-4D35-BD68-7FBC3F98B9FE.jpeg

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
So in the latest episode of what’s broken on the 182 turbo I have a noise. To me it sounds like the Dephaser but it’s the not the normal Dephaser noise, this only happens when warm. Again I think this Dephaser was an ‘eBay special’ so could well be junk. I’ve attached a video to see what the Clio gods think!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Could be worth a bore scope to see if there's any piston contact, does sound like a knackered dephaser but usually that rattles at idle and disengages with oil pressure at/above 1800ish rpm. That's not to say they all fail the same way.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Could be worth a bore scope to see if there's any piston contact, does sound like a knackered dephaser but usually that rattles at idle and disengages with oil pressure at/above 1800ish rpm. That's not to say they all fail the same way.
Got a bore scope down to check and no contact at all. When the car is stone cold it’s absolutely fine it only starts to rattle when fully up to temp.
Im going to swap the vvt solenoid over to see if that changes anything, and if not I’ve got a good used Dephaser I can swap over too. If that doesn’t fix it I’m at a loss lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Hold on hold on hold on…..

You can’t post one poxy picture of that Lancia! That bad boy needs its own thread! Chop chop!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Hold on hold on hold on…..

You can’t post one poxy picture of that Lancia! That bad boy needs its own thread! Chop chop!
🤣🤣 if that’s what the people want then I’m happy to oblige. I do need to take some pics first of it though!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
So this project is nearing its end and in another twist it’ll be going back to my dad. I bought @GrahamS 172 cup turbo off him which is everything I wanted this car to be so it made sense.
It also means my 172 track car will be up for sale so at the end of this I will only have 1 beast of a Clio!

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
@colesy did you get to the bottom of the rattle?
Not as yet, I did swap the vvt solenoid and that made no difference so I really think it is the Dephaser. Planning to get one on it in January before giving it back to the old man.

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Still cannot work out what this overrun rattle is. So far I’ve:
Swapped vvt solenoid with known good one
Replaced the Dephaser with a brand new one
Taken the exhaust off at the v-band on the turbo as some people suggested it could be a blow.
But it’s still the same. I want to get to the bottom of it before it’s broken for parts.