ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Collected the JCW GP ...

Z4
Good choice Dave!
Anything remotely exclusive with 200bhp/per ton + is a thumbs up in my book.

Ive thought about getting one of these a few times, although I do think they're abit fugly! I think if I were in the market for a decent hot hatch I think the mk1 focus rs would get my money, although this would certainly be a contender.

What have the non car friends and family thought about it? Probably wondered why you've put orange bits on a grey mini!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What have the non car friends and family thought about it? Probably wondered why you've put orange bits on a grey mini!

Funnily enough, most non-car people love it, 'cool red mirrors, funky little boy racer mini' etc, a couple of my neighbours have also commented on it as they used to have normal MCS/Works' - whilst they're not really car people (most mini owners arent lol), they just know what it is. The 'normal' car lovers just think its a gay mini thats driven through Halfords, the driving enthusiasts ... well, they dont give a sh1t about image and think its epic.

There are some proper nice motors there Dave! I think yours fits in pretty well, it sure is rare!

Cheers Cat, was a great day out, can thoroughly recommend PH meets!

If only because everyone has different cars, makes for far more interesting conversations.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
Love this car mate. I think GPs look epic on red wheels, ties everything together a little better. Love this one from MT on red Ultraleggeras!

5027047318_433d40dbe6_z.jpg

5026600541_7c697487a6_z.jpg

If you're ever up north you'll have to give me a shout, would love a ride out in this!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks cack compared with standard.

Looking good Dave, if only you had listened to me and Danny to start with! Epic little car.

Funnily enough, most non-car people love it, 'cool red mirrors, funky little boy racer mini' etc, a couple of my neighbours have also commented on it as they used to have normal MCS/Works' - whilst they're not really car people (most mini owners arent lol), they just know what it is. The 'normal' car lovers just think its a gay mini thats driven through Halfords, the driving enthusiasts ... well, they dont give a sh1t about image and think its epic.

Cheers Cat, was a great day out, can thoroughly recommend PH meets!

If only because everyone has different cars, makes for far more interesting conversations.

still not seen it out and about yet :(

Focus Tit Est & R26
'the black gunk wont come off with just water/rag though, so any idea on what to get it off with?:'

have you tried WD40 on this Dave, seems to shift the majority of crap found on cars

really like these minis. i think the wheels are great, it seems to be the fact that they are different being the reason why most people say they dont like them. not Turinis etc etc

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Looks cack compared with standard.

Looking good Dave, if only you had listened to me and Danny to start with! Epic little car.

Something about "told you so" gets thrown around a lot ;)

Also, that one above doesn't tickle me at all. IMO, its not a car you overly 'fettle' with.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So Friday brought my first visit to the famed 1320 and Tom, Scott & Jack for a few odds & sods to be sorted out. Yes, i would rather do my own work on my cars, but a busy schedule and lack of suitable parking at my flat makes it a bit of a nightmare to do any proper work on the car these days. Especially when the subframe needs to come off lol. In addition, what 1320 dont know about mini's isnt worth knowing. Its pretty cool over there as well, bit like a mini graveyard lol ...

IMG_7448_zpsf78e8d95.jpg

IMG_7434_zpsc02f8ffa.jpg

IMG_7445_zps1c868408.jpg

There are literally mini's growing out of the ground lol
IMG_7443_zps8b91d7c6.jpg

And even Renault's ;)
IMG_7433_zps47a8b9c3.jpg

Another GP was also in for a de-cat (too loud lol, even with a resonator in).
IMG_7430_zpsb7d2aaf0.jpg

So after much banter about Matt Faulks, TDF and Andy Cutler (isnt it amazing how ineptness crosses vehicle platforms) they got down to work and quickly stripped everything back for assessment - it developed some suspension rattles during our trip to France in August - to find out what the issue was.

IMG_7439_zps28e4da5d.jpg

IMG_7437_zps0ee9d7e2.jpg

IMG_7435_zpsbfccdbd1.jpg

Essentially the ball joints were knackered (so both were replaced), & the wishbone bushes were a little worn. As it was all apart, i thought it made sense to not only replace them with Superflex ones, but fit a Superflex steering rack bush as well. Then some new drop links & top mounts to finish it all off, no point only replacing some things, might as well do the lot right? The engine has also been making a nice rattling sound on startup as of late, so id sourced a new chain tensioner which was fitted along with an oil and filter change.

The result? No more rattles and a far better turn in/feel through the steering wheel. Money well spent.

Next up, tinkering ...

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Decided not to change just yet Dave? Epic little bus!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I was about to ask, no M135i then!

He's just spent a fair sum of money on it, so going by history it should be up for sale soon! ;)

Everyday's a 'what car shall I get next' in the Failsport Whatsapp group, the groups even called 'Nope, back to BMW's then...' Lol

lol, as Nick says really, cant wrap my head around spending £425 a month on a car, to then have to spend another £12k on it after 4 years to own it. My parents also reminded me that i tend to change cars every 3-6 months, so a 4 year deal probably wasn't particularly sensible. I still quite fancy one, so will get one when they drop to £15k ... with all the discounting floating around, that'll be about 18 months lol.

So for now, the GP is staying. Ive bought a new steering wheel anyways, will feel like im driving a new car then
hehe.gif

ST
Something about "told you so" gets thrown around a lot ;)

Also, that one above doesn't tickle me at all. IMO, its not a car you overly 'fettle' with.

Bit Bradford innit.. Mind the boy in town with the GP Works with Xenons, his pelletry' knew no bounds against my old Works LOL Danny_172

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I thought the alcantara wheel was oem on the GP.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I know the original ones in the ad are sold, but I noticed a guy further down commenting he also had some for sale. Might be worth a PM.

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f229/facelift-xenons-38081/

Yeah, ive been speaking with him, something not quite right there i dont think.

I thought the alcantara wheel was oem on the GP.

Unfortunately not, just this thin rimmed thing.

DSC07121_zps8dbac2c7.jpg

Most GP owners change them, just before they clean them to within an inch of their lives and cover them in stupid stickers.

Its like the Trophy forum over there, but weirder.

Z4
I saw one of these yesterday and they're hugely rare my way, I'm not convinced I've actually seen one before!

I thought the mirrors were orange until you corrected me earlier in this thread lol.
It looked great though, more road presence than I would have expected, it's certainly got me looking on pistonheads lets put it that way!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Wow 1320 looks a bit different from when I went there years back when Chris still worked there.

Not quite as many dead mini's about them!

Swift Sport
I've only read the first page, but I quite like the GP. Looks intentionally different to the rest of the models, which is becoming rare these days.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've only read the first page, but I quite like the GP. Looks intentionally different to the rest of the models, which is becoming rare these days.

Yeah, its certainly easy to spot in a car park :eek:

Steering wheel fitted last night - the guide make it look like a ridiculously fiddly time consuming job, but in reality, it was no harder than swopping a clio wheel over.

photo1_zps3bf8d5e5.jpg

photo2_zpsd87d59dd.jpg

Turinis also turned up, need two tyres before i can sling them on as winters - the 18's are polished/freshly refurbed so dont want them getting damaged. Look odd in this picture, but with some imagination, you get the idea:

photo_zpsd28833c8.jpg

Just need silvervisions and ktec coilovers now lol. Once a clio owner, always a clio owner ;)