ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comma oil - good enough?

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
Right, I've seen a few posts about this oil and some say it's the same as halfords (which might be cheaper?). It's not supposed to be a fully synthetic even though it says it is. Oilman had a post somwhere about this. So, is it any good for a 58k 172 for fast road, no track? 5l will set me back £23. Do I really need a proper fully synthetic like silkolene or will this be fine?

172 cup'd extreme
ive used it, it lasts about 7k in mine before its starts to loose its colour. i dont bother with silkoline etc its just too expensive for oil its good as it lasts the full 12k before it looses its colour. even if i used silkoline i would change it every 6-8k anyways.

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
hmmmm. I'm sure I'd be better with the cheaper stuff and changing it twice as often but I'm too lazy and it would probably sit in there for a year. Does anyone know if this is defo the same stuff as Halford's own? If it is I might as well try some of that and then can use expensive stuff in 6 months if I feel like it. Water would be better than what's in it atm so I should really just make my mind up and get some!

cup 182 mit stripes
I say use the best quality full synthetic. You don't want to be changing the oil more than necessary as there is always a risk of dirt getting into the engine, no matter how careful you are.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ja.jack said:
I say use the best quality full synthetic. You don't want to be changing the oil more than necessary as there is always a risk of dirt getting into the engine, no matter how careful you are.

How are you going to get dirt in the engine ? I use a clean funnel to pour the oil in so there's absolutely no risk of any dirt getting in the engine ;)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ja.jack said:
Ask a mechanic if you don't know.

Well i dont have any mechanics hanging around at home at moment , usually there are at least 2 or 3 but they seem to have buggered off , lol .

So seeing that you suggested you get dirt in the engine when doing an oil change i'm asking you .

cup 182 mit stripes
Well, there could be dirt on the filter housing, or perhaps your funnel is'nt as clean as you think it is.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
ja.jack said:
Well, there could be dirt on the filter housing, or perhaps your funnel is'nt as clean as you think it is.

Fcuk me . I was panicking then for a minute then . I really did think that i ran the risk of getting dirt in my engine . Turns out i'm ok now , as everything is always clean before and after i do an oil change . Phewwwww ;)

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
See how hard it is? None of you can make your mind up either lol. If it's £23 every 6 months or £40 every 12 then I might as well just put quality stuff in and do it once a year.

Can anyone give a definite answer if halfords own is the same oil as this comma stuff? If it is then £17 every 6 months might be the better option. Thanks for the advice on keeping dirt out of the engine but I'm always very careful :)

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
ja.jack said:
You don't want to be changing the oil more than necessary as there is always a risk of dirt getting into the engine, no matter how careful you are.

Your not very good with cars then? or do you play Rugby and think 's**t' need to change that oil before showers...

ja.jack said:

wtf?, Have you been drinking?

Its fine mate, but for these cars the 12000mile interval is too long (if you drive is quite hard every so often, like you should)

Have you seen the viscosity of 12000 oil from a 172? its like glue and afterward a change feels like 60 ponys have been released.

Personally change it every 6000miles or 6 months, with cheap oil or 8000 or a 10months with quality like Silkolean

BMW M135i
I'm currently trying halfrauds own brand which is apparently comma anyway, sounds better and less tappety on idle than it did on magnatec. Change is every 5k anyway so massive longitivity isn't important for me.
Will be using it again for sure at this point.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
ja.jack said:
GavFre.
Where did I say to change the oil every 12,000 miles? You never, thats what the actual service interval is, hence a new paragraph.
You illiterate cretin. LOL, i like you, i want to stroke your hair...

:star:

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
GavFre, ja.jack - get a room will you? It's very sweet and everything but this is MY oil thread b*tches and there'll be no tiffs in here because I'm not in a counselling mood :D

I'm going to give it a go on the halfords 5w40 and run it for 6 months as £40 for 5l of oil seems a bit ott for a clio. When I get the sagaris parked up on the drive I might invest in something a little smoother.

Thank you kindly to all who took part in my oil discussion and all those who showed dedicated support throughout, especially my partner, all my fans, my manager, the road team and God. I couldn't have done it without you guys :clap::clap::clap:

The comma is ok, cheap and chearfull and not a true synthetic as suggested, with regular changes and normal road use its fine. However dont assume that using a lower quality oil (mineral) and changing it more often then a quality oil (synthetic) is better... it isnt.

If the mineral oil does not perform as well from the start as a synthetic then it doesnt matter how many times you change the mineral, it still wont be as good as the synthetic as it was never as good in the first place.

Cheers

Guy.

Mark at Richspeed bought a load of Comma oil for the impretzas and he had to dump it at a huge loss as it was usless.

oops! i need an oilchange, just dont want to pay £50 for oil !!

If you chnage it ever 5k or so then most stuff for most people is fine for rtrack day or hard driving its worth spending more.

I use the Milers stuff £40 or so for 5 liters I'm very impressed stands up to some abuse.

Jap Shed
the car was servced at a vauxhall garage before i bought it - i am sure the oil they put in wasnt 5-40...........

the car was servced at a vauxhall garage before i bought it - i am sure the oil they put in wasnt 5-40...........

Doesn't matter 10-40 is fine unless outside temps drop under -20.

Standard vauxhall oil ins't bad though I've used it a lot before plus trade prices on it is dirt cheap its almost as cheap as fuel.

Clio 172 mk2
God.....everyone talks about the oil for 172s and 182s as if they are the most delicate supercar engines.

Personally I'd just put in a good synthetic 5/40w and half the service intervals and change it every 10/12months

mine is due for change soon guys and i am going to start and buy the bits now and links and prices of oil what is good not good etc etc

what is the cheapest synthetic?

The term synthetic is one big grey area when it comes to oil as many labled as such are in fact hydrocracked mineral oils.... hense the guy with the comma oil and impreza's, its not a true synthetic.

You will always pay a premium for synthetic oil for a few reasons, they are better, they cost more to produce and they use higher quality additive pack wich in turn cost more to buy.

Plenty to have a look at here http://www.opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Guy.

think i am going to try the comma as per mr billy seems a good product at a good price and i dont do anything different to the normal road use cheers

I used halfords 5w-40 fully synthetic in my ITR for a year, changing it at 6k/6 months. It had a seriously hard life (9k rpm everywhere!!) and at the end of the year it ran as smooth and quiet as when I got the car.

I will deffo be using it again in my 172 - especially at that price!

(I think the honda standard fill is 5w-30 semi!!)