ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Common cause of Timing Belt failure

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
My timing belt is due this year (5 years old mk2ph2), but ive got around 10k miles left until the 72000 mile recommended service interval.

Do any of you guys know if the most common cause of timing belt failure is due to age or milage?

I am planning on getting it done soon.

Its just that a mate with the same age clio 1.2 with 57k miles had his done a week ago and he was told by renault that the old belt was in very good condition.

thanks.

Clio Sport xxx
I would say time is the bigger factor in rubber deteriorisation, rubber will perish even if untouched so...

And you will normally find they look ok when you come to change them because the 5yr/72K mile service interval has some element of a safty factor in it

It fails on both any more than 4 years or 60k if you havn't a warently I'd be getting itchy and want it changed.

You cannot realy tell if a belts going to break. saying its in good condition means nothing

cup 182 mit stripes
Both, I'd say. Stress fatigue will cost you dear when you skimp on maintainance. lol

its being booked in soon anyway.

The only reason i asked is because of what my mate was told.

anyone know how long on a 1.2?

5 hours on a 2.0, so it must be quicker on a 1.2?

superb!

cant really be without the car for more than a day, tbh. hoping i can drop it off and go around town for a bit.

T

thecremeegg

My garage said 2 hours labour plus the kit so around £150 for my mk2 ph1

thanks. one of the good things of not owning a sport. lol. Still want one though.

Clio 172 mk2
Cheap on the 1.2....lucky for you

I've got the same issue but it's with a 172....got to book it in for sept/oct at Rentech to have it done