ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Common problems with 172s

Sundance yellow 106 gti
Hi there people. I'm new to this forum. Been into 106 gti's for the past couple of years and now fancy a change. Thinking of getting a 172 or 172 cup if one comes up in my budget. Im just wondering what sort of problems you get with these and what to look at when im buying. Im used to fixing cars as you will all know you cant drive 10 miles without having a problem in a 106. Ideally im looking for a car that will last me about 6 months or so without having to many problems so im wondering if the 172 will serve me well.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thankyou

Evo 6, E92 320d
TBH theres no definitive answer mate, i have had my 172 nearly a year without a problem, only general maintenence parts which are expected on a 9 year old car. At the other end of the scale some members on here have had an issue every month. Hit and miss really, so long as it has a good service history it should be sound.

ph 2, 172.
cant really say but (i) and others by the looks of some threads often have problems with heating, rheostat etc.

Ph 1 172
i havent had any problems with my 172 at all now for 2 years!!!

the only things i can think of that happen is the service+airbag light comes on but that just a loose connection under the seat and that its it. the only other thing i can think of is general maintaince so as long as the cambelt,aux belt and regular services have been done (which should be as most 172 are coming to that age or past that age)at the correct times there should be no real problems. Remember that the chance of finding minter that has not been ragged are near impossible but they are designed to be driven hard. can think of any real problems you should have good luck finding one... you looking for a ph1 or ph2?

Jagggg...missing the 182!
having had my fair share of 106s, and plenty of experience (bare shell rebuilds), ive also had a 2005 182, and id have to say the clio was FAR less problematic, unlike the 106, yoiu can turn the key day in day out without a problem!

only fault i had was thermostat stuck, believe quite common.

mates got a 172 cup, zero problems

Sundance yellow 106 gti
Thanks a lot for the replies people. Sounds like a 172 might be a go ahead. Il be looking for a ph2, think they look a lot better and tbh the newer the better for me really. Just need to sort out a few problems with the 106 and get it pretty much mint for selling. Hoping to go for a 172 mid January if i can sell the 106 easy enough.

Once again thanks for the replies but more would help. Other than service history etc etc is there anything else i need to look at when i go to have a look at one? Anything specific?

Thanks.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
had mine 6 years since new, common fault is the coil pack and ht leads.
not the end of the world, but can be annoying.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My 172 broke down daily, but had my 182 21k and 18months and nothing at all has broke.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had 11 172's and the only actual problems i've had were Coil packs (on 2 of them) and ht leads (on 3 of them).

Apart from that, make sure its had the cambelt kit/Aux belt kit done as thats a £400 job.

ITB'd MK1
CV boot clips come off, Rear shocks leak, Springs break, engine mounts wear out faster than most cars. Aside from that and service items, it's normal FWD french hot hatch stuff like driveshafts, balljoints etc

133T
Check the fans and heaters are working. Resistor failure is fairly common I think. You'll love it though. Good luck.