ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comparison between 172 Cup and the 206 GTI 180

I am looking to buy a 172 CUP (late spring / early summer) but someone at work mentioned that the 206 GTI 180 is good car. I do like fast Peugeot's but I haven't read a road test where it has done well... In my opinion Peugeot have gone off the boil in recent years when it comes to hot hatches.

I would be interested to hear the comments of anyone who actually knows how the GTI 180 stacks against the 172 CUP on the road??

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Had a Gti 137 BHP one befor the clio 172 not in the same leage . Thimk same would go for the 180 ( performance wise )

A SHED!
In terms of looks id have the 206, but its nowhere near as fun to drive as the cup!!!! plus cup is quicker!

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
I kinda liked it in the show room. but when it came to buying a new car I was looking at the CTR & 182. I think they look nice though, but don't think they "handle" as well?

Red Clio 197 F1
Looks and kit are good (lovely wheels, exhaust and seats) but certainly not in the same league as a 172 for thrills.

Took one out for a test drive and it didn't feel fast at all. I had a Pug 206 GTI 136bhp and had a super chip and that felt a load quicker.

106 GTi
Neil82cup said:
From magazine test results yes, but on road there is nothing in it between a GTi 180, CTR and a 172 Cup.

Apart from the 206 180 is the worst one to drive. The 180 was the car that made me change away from Peugeot after owning 309, 306 and a 205 and being Pug through and through for donkeys years.

It lacks the feel and confidence of the Clio. The ride is no where near as good, (mainly due to the 17's). Engine feels nowhere near as responsive as the Clio. Plus point it does have nice seats! Drive them both and see. Not a good car IMO, to little to late from Pug. The reason they are rare on the road is because they aint to great.

I drove a few different ones and ended up with the Clio.

MINI JCW
I really liked the 180 when the concept car was shown and when they came out and considered buying one, but I went off them big style mainly due to the poor road tests and also the performance according to road test was quite a bit slower then the 182 for a car with the same power

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
The performance of them is not as good as a cup. Imagine buying one then being gutted when a cup pulls away from you! lol

I bought a 03 plate Focus ST170 last year which was such a disappointment I cut my loss's and sold it (and I mean a great loss) within 3 months. The car had rave reviews in the magazines but I found it to be massively over tyred and the 170 BHP had no punch. My old Peugeot S2 106 Rallye was massively more fun (100 BHP and 175/60 tyres).

I had sat in a GTI 180 last year, but it was out of my price range and although the seats looked fantastic for a tall broad bloke like me it was almost impossible to find a good driving position and again it apppeared to me to be over tyred.

Fat tyres can really spoil the handling, I don't know why manufacturers do it. I can remember when the XR3's came out and 185/60/13's were something very special!! (I am only 36) and within a few years all the family cars had that size tyre and it just hasn't stopped; I guess it must be something to do with the marketing departments rather than the engineers.

172 Cup
I've been in a 180 and the seats are nice.. but to drive, I'd say the Clio is far better. I think Evo had the standard 206 GTi nearly on par with the 180 in terms of performance.

Plus the 206 gear box is hidious... like stiring a bowl of porridge, and the gear shift is that long you will be elbowing your rear passengers in the nuts going from 1st to 2nd.

Megane Mk4
All I'm going to say is this. I have a full fat 182 and the GTi 180 couldn't keep up accelarating hard to 60 with me and I knew the guy too and he doesn't treat his cars nice either ;)

Buy the Cup

Andi

172 cup TT
i saw a new 307 180 on a forecourt the other day.. didnt even know they existed.. how do they fair?.. i assume not as good as the 206 as they look heavier

What is the problem with the brakes?

I see you have a Fiesta Supersport, is that one of the the Mk1 predessors to the XR2? If so that realy is a rare car!

SLK 350
Brakes are great on ClioSport imo, can lock the wheels whenever you want so theres plenty of power, the only think i hate is how if your braking hard from 100mph the back end squirms around like hell.

172CUP/Fiesta supersport
not saying the brakes on the cup or any RS clio are bad because they are infact excellent, but I felt that the GTI180 brakes were even stronger. Just my opinion.............and yes I have a supersport which was the predessor to the XR2 she's 26 years old this year and I love it, 1700 xflow turbo in it these days tho.

MOZZalba said:
not saying the brakes on the cup or any RS clio are bad because they are infact excellent, but I felt that the GTI180 brakes were even stronger.

172 goes from 100-0 in 3.99 seconds, quicker than most supercars so I doubt the GTi180 would keep up (as it were!)

106 GTi
davo172cup said:
go for the cup, looked at gti 180 but cudnt afford one, glad i bort the clio, quicker and better handling, but u gota love those seats in the gti!!!

When I ordered the 182, Renault could not do more to do a good deal, where as despite the 180 bring a bit poo, all Pug would do is give me metallic paint Free - not only is the car poor, they want you to pay top money for it.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
At the end of the day this ia a Clio sight and people will tell you to get the Clio . Go on a Peugeot sight and people will tell you to get the 206 .

mk2 clio 172
My mates got a 180 and ive got a f/f 172 we had a little race on my private airfield and my car was much quicker.

cock mobile.
GTi 180 is a LOT rarer thought, so to be different maybe get that; but you'd have far more fun in a Clio.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well i work for peugeot, sat in the showroom rite now with a gti 180 about 3 ft away, i drive a clio....

been peugeot thru n thru sinse i got my 1st car ive had 2 205's
after driving the peugeots all day every day the gti 180 imo is just another 206....

it looks the same , the seats are the same pretty much as what is now in the 206 sport versions.
i no what i would go for and it wouldnt be the 206... likely to break lol

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Get the Cup. You cant get a better car for the money. The GTi is overpriced and its only rare cos it's cack. Advantage of the GTi over the cup is that is got better seats, and its got more equiptment. Other than that the Cup destroys it in every aspect!

Tyson.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
In theory the GTi-180 should be a hell of a good car, it comes from a stable of cracking hot hatches, however the reality is that it's not... :dapprove:

Peugeot have made some of the best hot hatches about, but the 206 aint cast from the same mould!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
ukaskew said:
172 goes from 100-0 in 3.99 seconds, quicker than most supercars so I doubt the GTi180 would keep up (as it were!)

If they're anything like GTi-6 brakes then it will...

106 GTi
Rich-D said:
In theory the GTi-180 should be a hell of a good car, it comes from a stable of cracking hot hatches, however the reality is that it's not... :dapprove:

Peugeot have made some of the best hot hatches about, but the 206 aint cast from the same mould!

Wonder if we will be saying the same think about the new Clio when the new model comes out ?!

RenaultSport clio 182 CUP
cup wins every time. looks performance the lot. i wiped one out a few days ago. he didnt lok to chuffed as i sailed by in 3rd gear