ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Comparison !?

Phase 2 172 Sport
Just to start thing's off im not looking to start World War 3 !! Lol.

Im just about to purchase a Phase 1 172 sport but my last Clio a year and a half ago was a Mark 1 1.8 16v. I was wondering what kind of difference's I should expect or what other peoples opinions are.

My Valver was far from standard with a few engine mods such as a lightened and balanced crank and fly wheel, Kent cams, ported ,polished and gas flowed head. What should I be expecting the 172 to feel like in comparison !? Maybe not just in performance but as an overall package.

Are there many benefits of the 172 over the Valver !? Opinion's please ....

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF
The thing I miss about my valver is the 'rawness' you could feel and judge absolutely everything on them! The power was instant, whereas in a 1*2 they have vct which means the power don't come in till later on in the rev range. I have a 182, its still fun to drive but I would like more feedback from it lol

320d
The thing I miss about my valver is the 'rawness' you could feel and judge absolutely everything on them! The power was instant, whereas in a 1*2 they have vct which means the power don't come in till later on in the rev range. I have a 182, its still fun to drive but I would like more feedback from it lol

The later power delivery is nothing to do with the vvt. iirc the vvt starts at around 1200rpm, its just a character of the engine that the power is delivered later, its nothing like Honda's vtec etc.

535d / t5 caravelle
have to say it, i miss my mk1's still, would love another one day........................................... but they RUST! but there bloody good fun.

more fun than the cup i'd say :(

182 Trophy #333
i miss my mk1 1.8 RSi, was so basic and like the guys say above you could feel and judge absolutely everything perfectly! Saying that though i do freaking LOVE my Trophy!

182 Trophy #333
i think also alot of it may boil down to what youre used to driving, spent 4 years driving the RSi and jumped in the Trophy and it felt really odd, but now when i drive the RSi ( my mate bought it off me ) it feels weird and the Trophy feels normal.