ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complicated exhaust advice - Cup

Folks,

need advice:

I have myself in a right pickle over exhausts.

A few things before we start.

a) I am not having a Ktec, one i dont like them, two they seem to fall apart or tarnish, three they are in bournemouth If i want to use the lifetime warranty, which seems quite likely, four; they arent subtle enough.

b) SuperSprint DO NOT HAVE ANY race systems for the 172 in the UK anymore, and none are expected for italy.

c) I was sold on a system from griffin - the people who did my suspension & brakes, but roamer and Fred said to me that the powerflow system was not a good choice. After speaking to them again, they will make me a 63.5 mm system (the one that I wanted from supersprint) but roamer and fred suggest that because the pipes werent mandrel(ly) bent that this wouldnt necessarilly be the best option.

d) Janspeed do a de-cat pipe and also do an exhaust, but i want a subtle system, not the 4" x 3.5" oval that they have. De cat can be used with other systems which is something that I have kept in mind.

e) Magnex is not subtle enough and they dont do a decat, yes i can combine it with a Janspeed, but would prefer something more subtle.

f) by subtle, I mean: i) a small incut into the bumper using the existing hangings ii) completely hidden away behind the exhaust, iii) i want power, not noise.

g) Hayward & Scott can provide me with a very good 172 exhaust but the chap on the phone said "with a de-cat you should see 15 - 20 bhp" which is optimistic. Does anyone have any pictures of the hayward & scott 172 exhaust? does anyone have any figures for one that has been RRd

So, after all that, I want:

Powerwise:
Full System; an increase in power from both de-cat and exhaust.

Asthetically:
Not too loud, not in your face. If It was hidden completely i wouldnt be too fussed.

Please can I have advice and suggestions from people.

thank you.

/y0z

Hayward and Scott do some good stuff, but quite expensive.

Powerflow is what Id say. I have one - very happy..

Im sure Chris n Nic have one of their Cup, and it saw good gains?

Hayward & Scott will do me a manifold as well.

Cat Back is £400+VAT from Hayward & Scott
Cat Replacement is £130 from Janspeed

??? for new manifold, awaiting a price.

ok, thanks mike. I didnt know.

/y0z

Lionel Richie

SLAP @ Yoz!!!

Im buying you a plane ticket to italy, and were gonna break into supersprint and nick an exhaust!!!!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY NOT POOERFLOW!!!! (i mean to spell it like that!!!)

Mongoose is the way forward IMO + decat

hayward and scott, thats who id choose if i hadnt bagged the last 63.5 supersprint (coming this week woooooooooohooooooooo)

Integra DC5 Type R

i agree with y0z2a. it ia almost impossible to get something that looks subtle. 6x4 magnex is just too big, as is the twin 3.5". I have been through these motions already.

I know u dont like K-tec mate, but their twin 3" round isnt too bad, and they have offered to make me a single 3.5" tail system for my 172.

Devil Exhausts do one available through Prima Racing which is 85mm (just under 3"), although it dsays their system comes with an oval pipe, but dont see why u cant specify to have the 3" pipe. Not heard anyone on here with a Devil through Prima. No doubt someone will know.

dont think you can get devil anymore either as i spoke to their uk distributor a while back and the are only dealing with the boke systems now

Nippy white cup

It is either - spend a small fortune with Heyward and Scott and get something that I havent a clue what it looks like on the cup...

or go with the powerflow system that Griffin have put together, which BenS now has. Or at least a very similar one to the one that he has.

What do I do?

Darren, do you have any pictures of the hill power one?

Tom, no pictures to see what the quicksilver ones look like.

/y0z

I would say Hayward are undoubtedly the best exhaust fabricators in the country. Just go to their place if you can, the process is excellent. I wouldnt get involved in all the supersprint hype. The trade off is of course price, but thats the price of quality.

Quicksilver also do great exhausts, they did one for my dads V12 DB7, amazing.

-Rob

£400 + The decat isnt that cheap, but it isnt expensive I dont think, but... for that kind of money £550 could i get a better system, IE more power etc.

H&S are booking for APRIL at the moment! thats ages away.

:-(

/y0z

Well there might be a supersprint avaliable from me.

Currently my engine is on the floor of renault basingstoke with the mechanics scratching their balls.

:eek:

Quote: Originally posted by y0z2a on 23 February 2004

Hayward & Scott will do me a manifold as well.

Cat Back is £400+VAT from Hayward & Scott
Cat Replacement is £130 from Janspeed

??? for new manifold, awaiting a price.

ok, thanks mike. I didnt know.

/y0z

Yoz, I got my Janspeed de-cat from http://www.motorsportworld.co.ukwww.motorsportworld.co.uk. I was going to go for the K-TEC hidden system but youve put me off it! You think they are that bad?

I know too many people who have problems or have had problems. Out of about 10 people i know who have them, about 8 of them have had problems one way or another. This is from them rusting, getting blown apart (roamer maybe not the best example, but Wayne may be) them tarnishing badly - Jill and so on.

The Janspeed seems like the best decat option, but if i am having a complete system, Id rather wait and get it all together.

/y0z

the OMP Grp N system is WELL loud.

just picked my Janspeed de-cat up. went for the mild steel 1 with an 18mth garentee, are you really gonna be keeping the car for a lifetime or will you be swapping it in a couple of years??

i know a few ppl with powerflow systems and i dont rate them at all, seem to be all noise. mongoose are good, not too far away from me either. altho im just going to stick with the de-cat for now, see what thats like b4 i blow 300 quid on a full system. after all its the cat that resticts the air flow.

but my standard exhaust makes a racket, because it is full of holes, despite being replaced in november...

I think ill keep it for a few years as long as i dont crash it.

/y0z

cliochriss has just bust a ktec too.

Lionel Richie

Yoz rig Andy @ GDI he knows an exhaust builder in wales (mint work apparently, and reasonable prices too)

OK.

Update:

The Griffin MotorSport Exhaust that we saw with the powerflow box was a prototype. The final version will be mandrel bends and all.

Hayward and scott came back to me today with this:

"The price for a manifold would be approximately £425, a de cat pipe £60 and from there to the back £400. All prices to include VAT,fitting/delivery.

Bhp gains in the region of 15-20. Unfortunately we do not have any charts."

So I am yet again tilted into the direction of Griffin, as I am impressed with what that have done.

If I went for a 63.5 system, how can i get maximum performance at minimum noise?

/y0z