ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Component speakers, crossovers and wiring.

182FF with cup packs
I'm wanting to replace the OE speakers in my 182 with something with a little bit more punch.

I'm looking at getting a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1's (need 4ohm speakers, see the bit at the end for a question on this) which obviously come with their own crossover.

Now, when it comes down to wiring, is there already a pre-exisitng ccorssover in place to drive the current OE speakers, or do they not bother.

If there is no OE crossover to replace, where do people usually put the crossover? Does it mean that I need to cut the existing wiring loom to insert it in the wiring, or is it a good idea to just run some new wiring to the speakers and leave the original stereo wiring loom in place?

My question for extra credit is this:

My head unit's output is rated at 4ohm, this means I need a minimum of 4ohm speakers doeasn't it?

What will happen if I used 2ohm speaker (i.e. Infinity ref series), blown amp? blown speaker?

If my a-level elctronics memory serves me right (mind you that was 15 years ago) if I use 2ohm speakers on a 4ohm amp, then I would have to make sure that the speakers have at least twice the power rating for the amp.

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
The standard speakers have coils to allow for the frequency range to each speaker (tweeter and mid/bass cone.)
Inline crossovers have an input line and then tweeter, mid, bass output in which you would connect each speaker too. Sometimes mid/bass on the same o/p.
As for the 4ohm speakers and HU question im not too sure...

182FF with cup packs
Ah, cool, thanks.

So I will need to find somewhere to stick the crossover then.

Is there a link to a wiring diagram for the connector plugs inside the dash anywhere on here? I think I'd rather cut the wires on the sony->renault connector I use rather than the loom itself, but a diagram od which wire is which on the Renault end will make it a lot easier to adapt it.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to pull the dash off to run wires properly aren't I? :dapprove:

Arctic 182FF
good choice on the Kappas, had some kappa 50.5's in my last car, cracking sound.

also, think the kappa perfects are actually 4ohm - see here

and yeah AFAIK the dash has to come off to change the tweeters and their wiring

AMP.jpg

Hope that image helps you.

182FF with cup packs
I've done some research (well, using google) into the 2ohm speaker/4 ohm amp issue.

It seems that the Infinity Reference and Kappa 2ohm lines are safe to use on 4ohm HU's.

The Infinitys are not actually 2ohm, they are closer to 3ohm (2.65), and according to Infinity's site:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
True Four Ohms— All Reference speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Reference Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.
It seems that you can more than happily use speakers rated higher than your amp with no danger at all. i.e 2ohm amp will happily run with 2,4,8,16 ohm etc speakers.

When you connect a set of 2ohm speakers to a 4 ohm amp, the speakers draw more current than usual and can overheat the amp if you're not careful.

But it seems that Infinity have put some effort into these, so they work fine with standard HU's.