ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

component speakers

Hi, im new here so first of all > hello <

Im wanting to upgrade to some decent component speakers up front. Ive got a 2000 clio 1.4 S. From my poking about ive figured out that i think there already is a set of components in the car, 2 speakers in door, 2in the dash

Ive a few questions.

1. As far as im aware when u get comps they come with a crossover: so does that mean that theres a crossover in my car somewhere already. (ive upgraded my headset already). If so where does this hide, if not where does the cable split from the front right/left to the tweeters/door speakers.

2. If i get a set of comps ill put the 13cm ones in the door, but where do i put the tweeters? Do i put them in place of the original ones, or do i put them higher up above the dash on pillar. Also do i mount the crossover in the door?

3. If i put the crossover+speaker in door ill have the 2 wires for the tweater: Is there an easy way to get them from the door to the main body of the car. Ive located where the standard wires go through, inside some plastic connector, but is it easy to get the tweater wires down through these?

4. Will i have to remove the dashboard to install the tweeters? ( i know i would if i was to replace the ones already there) but is it best to remove it anyway if im going to place them on the side pillar beside windscreen. (i hate wires, so want it tidy) Which leads me onto my final question. I see that the dashboard is in 2 parts, to remove the top part i think ive found 5 srews. 1 on each side when i open the doors, and 3 along the front, in the air vent along windscreen. (is there any else, or things i should watch out for? What about the airbag, well i upset much my removing this.

Thanks to anyone who can help me, will be much appreciated.

A well built VW

Use the original wires and cut them lot less hassle - impossible to get wires to the door otherwise

Yes the dash have to come out to fit the tweeters , its also where my crossovers sit

Airbag is it a passenger one - disconnect the battery and leave for 15 mins before messing around if so

A well built VW

Yeah one crossover for each speaker

It might sound daunting mate but its fairly easy when you get going especially if you ask on here first

So when i take of the dash, will there be a crossover beside the current tweeters? (if not where will they be hiding)

Just take the inputs from current one and connect up to the new one, and use the current wiring thats there?

Also with the tweeters ill get am i best putting them where the standard ones where, or further on up the pillar beside windscreen?

Thanks.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

It is possible to run new speaker cable through to the doors. I did it last week. You just have to take the connectors out of the door and drill a couple or holes in each one where there isnt already a pin for a wire and then run new cable through.

Once youve done that it makes the whole thing a lot easier IMO.

172 cup'd extreme

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 10 April 2005
It is possible to run new speaker cable through to the doors. I did it last week. You just have to take the connectors out of the door and drill a couple or holes in each one where there isnt already a pin for a wire and then run new cable through.

I did the same pretty easy to be honest

Skoda Fabia vRS

Quote: Originally posted by Rick on 10 April 2005

thats what i did on mine

Hi, thanks for the help so far guys.

I think im going to get a set of infinity 5000 cs.

Ive had a good look, and poke about tonite and my biggest problem is how to find the speaker wires. I havnt took the dash off yet so maybe this will all become apparent when i do.

I work part time in halfords, and the ripspeed guy said he will help me, although i fancy doin it myself. Hes given me a few tips as hes got a clio himself, i just wanna get ur opinion on it.

His plan is to rip the dash off, and find the wire for the speakers. Cut this wire, and feed it into the crossover, reconnect this into the output which will sort the door speaker. Then wire the new tweeter seperatly to the current one just cutting the wires on current one to disable it.

My plan was to find the junction where the audio cables split to go to door speakers/tweeters and do the connections there, using all the current wireing, simply cutting the connectors off the speakers and crimpin one of spades to connect up to new speakers. (he says i havnt a hope of finden this junction unless i rip the car loom apart)

Im wondering if anyone knows where abouts this junction is, or where abouts is the best place to have a look thru the big twisted cable, and attach in the new crossover. In both ideas, i plan to put the crossover somewhere near the new tweeters.

Quote: Originally posted by chuck on 11 April 2005

Hi, thanks for the help so far guys.

I think im going to get a set of infinity 5000 cs.

Ive had a good look, and poke about tonite and my biggest problem is how to find the speaker wires. I havnt took the dash off yet so maybe this will all become apparent when i do.

I work part time in halfords, and the ripspeed guy said he will help me, although i fancy doin it myself. Hes given me a few tips as hes got a clio himself, i just wanna get ur opinion on it.

His plan is to rip the dash off, and find the wire for the speakers. Cut this wire, and feed it into the crossover, reconnect this into the output which will sort the door speaker. Then wire the new tweeter seperatly to the current one just cutting the wires on current one to disable it.

My plan was to find the junction where the audio cables split to go to door speakers/tweeters and do the connections there, using all the current wireing, simply cutting the connectors off the speakers and crimpin one of spades to connect up to new speakers. (he says i havnt a hope of finden this junction unless i rip the car loom apart)

Im wondering if anyone knows where abouts this junction is, or where abouts is the best place to have a look thru the big twisted cable, and attach in the new crossover. In both ideas, i plan to put the crossover somewhere near the new tweeters.

just bought 2 pairs of these, in the middle of fitting them at the mo, have u got them yet mate? cos theres a chance i might be selling a set unopened, im thinking of just having comps up front and my subs running as i dont want to hack my williams parcel shelf to bits

I went and had another play, ended up getting a set of pioneer e136c speakers. Just thought these sounded better than the infinities, but there wasnt much differance that i could hear.

Have you had any problems getting them in tiger?