ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Component Speakers

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Helle everyone,

I want to upgrade my front speakers and have been looking through the archive and components seem the way to go. However i dont want to mount new tweeters or take my dash apart as my cars only 2 days old. So can i leave the tweeters out and just use the speakers with the standard tweeters? or should i just get 2 way coaxial speakers?

Thanks a lot,

Mike

clio 172 mk2

You dont need to remove the whole dash to remove the tweeters. Press down, while you turn anti clockwise CAREFULLY and you will take out the "tweeter cover".

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Yep, but be very lucky to find tweeters the same size as the standards. But if there are any, anyone know who makes them?

but then fitting the new tweeter will be a bit tricky, well to get a good positioning anyway!

you could attach them to the A pliiars, have them say 3 inchace up from the dash facing each other or slightly towards the mirror - at the end of the day, if anything were to go worng, or you sell the car, they would be cheap and v easy to replace

but i woudnt advise only using the mid of the comps, as the xover points would prob be off, also the high frequencies give your brian the info of where the sound is coming from, im sure this would advesly effect the sq.

But you could try it and see, you can always put the tweets on with blue tack, thats what i, and many people do until you find the best position for them to go

OR

you could do what i did the first time

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/photopost/data/500/3993Dash-med.jpg

you can just see, i took off the old tweeter covers, placed the pod for the tweeters in the whole (but had to remove the old tweeters) and then placed the new tweets in!

HTH

Rorrie

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

That does look good mate. But when u removed the standard tweeters what sort of state were they in? could u put them back in and sell it?

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2

Im just about to get some components Rorrie, thats a good idea. Where does the wire to the speaker come out? Do you need to remove anything?

well, in mine, i took the tweeters out, and they would easliy have gone back in, but my tweeters were really quite large, so i have to cut some of the podd that the tweeters sat ion below the dash away, but they will still go back in.

the wire were fed up the side of the dash, and out throught the hole where the grilles used to be.

Although i will say that they didnt sound great there, but it will be different for every speaker.

i just bought some CDT Audio CL-51 5" Component Car Speakers off ebay for £60. not bad. just wondering how u hide the wires from the speakers wen installing them and r thy easy to install!? how long do u think it wud take to put them in?

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

So the tweeters come out easily? Thats not so bad then. will have to have a play. But do people recommend components over coaxials? But will the sound be good if i keep the standard tweeters and get coaxials? 4 sets of tweeters.

Cheers

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

If youre not removing the dashboard then youll also need to make sure that you get components where the cross-over is built into tweeter, otherwise they wont work!

E91 M Sport

I installed a set of components last night, into mk1 v6, so I had remove the top dash section. Once that had been done it was nice and easy, I just mounted the new tweeters under the brackets that the original tweeters sat in, put a spot of glue between the tweeters and the bracket to hold them in place.

As for wiring, I found it impossible to run new wires through the doors to the new woofers, so I used the existing wiring. I then wired in the crossover on the wires where they came out of the headunit. The meant I only needed to run the tweeter wires to the crossover, and bobs your uncle!

All the best,

Uncle Bob