ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Confused about tyre prices

I have a set of alloys at the powder coaters this week and so I require some rubber for when they come back. Now I've decided on Toyo proxies tr1 and for four I can get on fleabay 188 delivered. Now I've tried some local Tyre places and they want 274 for the same Tyre fitted! Surely it can't cost nearly a hundred notes to fit tyres? In the past I've had a tyre swapped from the spare and that was under a tenner.

Anyone know of any reasonable garages in Newcastle area who can supply and fit? Or am I better just buying the tyres and getting a local garrage to fit?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
If you walk in off the street for a balance they might charge £12 just for 1 wheel.. Punctures often round my way we're £17 standard and going u with the size of your wheel 19" = £19..

Yes, they take the pee pee.. Most will slap 4 tyres on for £20-30 if friendly..

Yeah some garages take the piss - they want your custom of the tyres themselves too, so charge a fortune in fitting to make up for it. I got charged £15/wheel and that was the cheapest in about 8 garages I rang around by me!

As Dave says, £10 or under per wheel is a decent price.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Try Oponeo.co.uk And get them fitted somewhere.

I got some contact sport 3s for £80 each iirc. (Meant to be £150!).

I was dubious at the price, and the fact they're not made anymore but they've not killed me yet :D

Ya I think buying them and then getting them fitted is the best bet. I might see if I can get a price match and have a ring around explain this is what I can get them for can u match

Budget no1 and seem to have decent reviews for such a cheap tyre.

Uniroyals we're my second choice but these were post the 200 mark for 4.

Khumbo's seem to get quite good reviews as wel for the price.

May have a look at some post worn continentals

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ah ok. Dont get part worns imo, been there and done that.

Not sure on price but the Hankook V12's are good, or were when i used them ages ago.

Ah ok. Dont get part worns imo, been there and done that.

Not sure on price but the Hankook V12's are good, or were when i used them ages ago.
Hankooks coming in at 244 that would mean the Mrs can't have a pair of shoes for yourself this month lol. So there a no go unfortunately.

Proxies are all right though?

Got to be better than the marshals I have at the minute

Mini GP2
TR1's i always found were a bit too soft and the sidewalls would crumble easily; never put them on the 197 but had them on my previous car. Would never go back but depends entirely what your budget is.

As long as they last 6 month so I can get the alloys on and then swap them for something better down the line. They won't be used for track days just a bit of b road frolicking and traffic light drag racing

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
False economy mate. Just buy the better tyres now, trust me.

So she has no new shoes. Think she will understand you want the best tyre you can afford. if she doesnt understand and kicks up a fuss then p/x her for a newer model.

Imo of course :)

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Kumho KU31/39, Uniroyal Rainsport 3, Vredestein sportrac 5, Vredestein ultrac cento. They should all be very reasonable .

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
syron street race tyres - 195 45 16. aparently the best budget tyre to have

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Havnt tried the ns2 yet, have got 4 to go on soon. Havnt read a bad review yet. Have read good reviews about the ns2r (semi slicks)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've had T1R's and they're 'ok' in anything but wet weather. The first hint of rain and they're dog shite.

I've got Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on now and rate them infinitely over the Toyos.

(My car is a daily, not a track car. Or even a car I care about)

Not a problem mate I looked at these originally as I believe there wet grip is rated higher than the toyos but all the reviews on here seem to say not to bother. I guess u don't know till u try.

I've had T1R's and they're 'ok' in anything but wet weather. The first hint of rain and they're dog shite.

I've got Uniroyal Rainsport 3's on now and rate them infinitely over the Toyos.

(My car is a daily, not a track car. Or even a car I care about)
Seen the uniroyals at 48 a corner. I could be well tempted

PH2 172
PS3`s are fantastic,and so are the RS3`s,which cost less.
The more set`s I`m sent for evaluation could influence my recommendation.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Rainsport 3's is my choice.
I have them and have yet to loose grip. Amazing.

The only thing is that people say that they do wear faster than others. But at £33 each for 15" I dont care