ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering Clio track car - any pointers?

Bmw
Hi all

New to the forum. I am considering a cheap road legal track car as currently in the process of a new business venture and house purchase which has tied up most of my collateral . Have previously tracked a Caterham R300, Lotus Elise 160, a mixture of MX5's including turbo and superchargers and a brief dabble with a Honda CRX racing.

For my budget up to around £2500 a Clio 172 / 182 seems to fit the bill pretty well and have seen how nippy they can be round the track. I am looking for an already track prepped car and was wondering what the necessary is spec wise. Are cup dampers with Eibach springs ok or is an aftermarket kit needed? Seen the need for a recent cambelt and dephasers so looking for that being done. Like the idea of a roll cage but assume that's not a necessity? Anything else to note as needed?

Also if anyone has a solid track car that's road legal for the budget please let me know

Thanks for reading

Matt (ill join the club if I get one)

WRX
Standard setup with minor brake upgrade is perfectly acceptable for track. If you search on here for Tricolore Trophy or indeed my "budget racing thread" you will see that there is a production class for standardish cars, so proof that they are capable. Obviously it goes without saying, spend more on decent coilovers etc. if you choose to.

Last edited:
  focus rs, Ph1 172
My track 172 has eibach sportline (lower than the eibach pro) springs and cup shocks and the handling is excellent on track. I'd like coilovers to have more adjustability but I doubt the improvement is significant enough to justify the outlay, at least until I can pick up a used set or if I start to find it is holding the car back (which I don't at the minute).

Your best bet is a 172 cup mate as they're the most track orientated from factory. Decent set of light weight 15" wheels (think the 172 cup comes with them anyway) decent track tyres like r888s or Yoko', there's some real part worn bargains on eBay, decent brake discs and pads most use Renault OE rear discs and pads, Brembo High Carbon front discs and front pads like Carbone Lorraine or Ferodo, fresh fluid and good condition suspension components and you're good to go.

Best thing i ever did buying a Clio sport, just wish i bought a 172 cup as the 182 has s**t you just dont need in a track car, plus its heavier and has ABS which is shite IMO.

Happy hunting.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Also depends if you want a fresh canvas and build your own spec or buy a car that's done. After years with clios I would buy a well maintained one with decent bits done allready imo. But then do you want a car as a daily too as having a stripped out car isn't the best.

Bmw
Will be purely a weekend toy. I've always prepped cars from std but given work commitments id rather buy a track ready car and just get out. I'll let my dad use it on track and he is getting old now so I'd rather not waste time prepping. Had been looking at 182,s but a 172 cup sounds logical.

Anyone want to sell me theirs? :)

Matt

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Standard cars are more than capable on track, as said, just a set of decent tyres and brakes is all you really need.

@JamesBryan has a 182 with sorted tyres and brakes, and I think a set of cheap coilovers? And that thing is hilariously fast at oulton, capable of 90-100 through Druids, it's scary really haha

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had great fun in my standardish 172.

New cup suspension, track rods etc, Brembo OE discs and pads, braided brake lines and rubbish T1R tyres. Tyres were squeeling all day but that's part of the fun.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Standard cars are more than capable on track, as said, just a set of decent tyres and brakes is all you really need.

@JamesBryan has a 182 with sorted tyres and brakes, and I think a set of cheap coilovers? And that thing is hilariously fast at oulton, capable of 90-100 through Druids, it's scary really haha

AD08r tyres, CL RC5+ pads and H&R coilovers.

You'll be fine with standard suspension for a while.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
as above, pads (RC6), tyres (Yoko's, Toyo's or Nankangs) and eibach springs on none worn standard shocks and you'll be onto a budgety winner

Cup chassis is probably best canvas to begin with and sticking those bits above on is a hour or two's job max

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Standard car, refresh the suspension, change the brakes (brembo HC disc's and a good pad) and decent tyres (Even Michelin PE2's). You need to learn how to drive the car on track before you climb in the ring with all the aces because you think you can box... no seriously you need to learn how to drive on track before buying all the goodie goodies.

Plus you have the chance to see how you improve the car over what you started.

Bmw
After hours of racing getting in the ring to "box with the aces" not an issue. But this is a little bit of fun while launching the business before getting back to racing again.

A std car with track orientated seats might be worth considering

Matt