ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Contactless Drying.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'm looking for a sub-£100 dryer.
I've seen the Metro Vac Sidekick, but wondered if there were any cheaper options which are as compact. Anyone?
Thanks.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm looking for a sub-£100 dryer.
I've seen the Metro Vac Sidekick, but wondered if there were any cheaper options which are as compact. Anyone?
Thanks.

Pet dryer?

I've just ordered one for the dog but will be using it on the car as well, about £70 off amazon.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
Good for shuts and vents etc, but I find them useless on big panels. It just breaks the beads up to smaller drops.
Much less effective than I imagined! Still, it has uses.

FYI I have a pet dryer from Ebay, ~£60

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the Sidekick, given that it's only a bit more money and the reviews seem really decent.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The sidekick is good, I was lucky enough to have a shot of one for the weekend and uit's very good. I have 2 massive compressors but it was ideal for what I needed.

A really good drying towel and no dragging should still help massively as open panel the sidekick can't do it all itself.

Also, massively important is something like after wash by chemical guys, drying lube is still underated imo.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I've a 50l compressor in the garage, with a flow of about 15cfm. Could I use this for drying my car? If so is there a specific attachment for this type of job I can pick up?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The sidekick is good, I was lucky enough to have a shot of one for the weekend and uit's very good. I have 2 massive compressors but it was ideal for what I needed.

A really good drying towel and no dragging should still help massively as open panel the sidekick can't do it all itself.

Also, massively important is something like after wash by chemical guys, drying lube is still underated imo.
That's my exact plan mate, yeah. Larger panels I'll blot and dab and then use the Sidekick for smaller panels/shuts/trim etc.
TBH with Fusso and KOG on the car, water barely sticks to it anyway.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Is drying with a half decent towel that bad, if the car has been well cleaned etc?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Is drying with a half decent towel that bad, if the car has been well cleaned etc?

Any contact is seen as being bad contact.

But IMO, if you're being that picky then you wouldn't drive your car at all.

A quick detailer as a drying aid will help reduce damage massively though.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Any contact is seen as being bad contact.

But IMO, if you're being that picky then you wouldn't drive your car at all.

A quick detailer as a drying aid will help reduce damage massively though.
What James said, yeah.
I'm super careful with drying but I still end up with light scratches. I've tried three different brands of towel too.
This is the only option I can see of really keeping them to a minimum. The car isn't a daily, so I'd like to keep it as mint as I can, within reason/fair use.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
What James said, yeah.
I'm super careful with drying but I still end up with light scratches. I've tried three different brands of towel too.
This is the only option I can see of really keeping them to a minimum. The car isn't a daily, so I'd like to keep it as mint as I can, within reason/fair use.

Have you tried the Polished Bliss Luxury Towel? They're soft as Ken.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Problem I have with drying is, I've got two Auto Finesse Auqa Deluxe towels and always try to pat dry but it always leaves water marks so I end up wiping the panels to get it dry without marks.

I also end up with loads of little bits of fluff on the car even though they've been washed loads of times!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Problem I have with drying is, I've got two Auto Finesse Auqa Deluxe towels and always try to pat dry but it always leaves water marks so I end up wiping the panels to get it dry without marks.

I also end up with loads of little bits of fluff on the car even though they've been washed loads of times!
Same. Especially on larger panels

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
What are you guys washing the towels with?

Chemical Guys Microfibre Wash is excellent.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Just bog standard non bio gel stuff I think, the one with no conditioners/softeners etc.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Klin drying towels are the new daddy!

Also Chris bilt hamber is a true cleaner. Most snowfoams are more show than cleaning power.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Also Chris bilt hamber is a true cleaner. Most snowfoams are more show than cleaning power.
I use the BH snowfoam, you don't get much foam but it seems to work really well in removing the crap. [emoji2]

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Hazsafe followed by Avalanche works well for me.

The foam keeping Hazsafe working longer so it doesn't dry out and it pulls down all the stuff that Hazsafe is loosening.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Link?
I'll give this a try too. I want to rule out any of my own errors first!

Clio
eurofighter-typhoon-of-no3f-squadron-raf-with-full-burner-blasting-FK2GAY.jpg