ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Contemplating buying a 2000 172

Hello all

I am in the process of selling my car and i am after a hot hatch. I have been looking at a punto hgt but its turned out to be a disappointment.

So on my search i stumbled upon the 2000 Renault clio 2.0 16v 172 and i think i am in love. 172bhp must be absolutely mental in a car this light. I must say that i am very tempted but only one thing may change my mind.

I am aware i am a prat for thinking about this but what mpg do you guys get out of your 172s. I have to drive to uni every day and i do not fancy sub 30mpg. So if i took it very easy in the car, what mpg should i expect. I do have a light foot unless i go out on one of my spins. So what mpg can i expect from long and short journeys(less than 10 minutes)

Hope to hear from you soon.

If I rag it everywhere (and I mean everywhere!) I get about 26.8! If I cruise around I have had it up to 34.6. Whoa!

I have a 2000 x-reg. Lovely car!!

Yep the 172 guys seem to get good fuel economy..the advantage of having a shed load of torque in a featherweight car!

Lee

BMW M2C

Mine rarely drops below 30mpg under normal driving conditions. If of course you class sitting in traffic into Birmingham normal. :mad: Of course it gets a good ragging whenever possible.

same here mate i get around 36-37 in my cup even when blasting it..then again my engines f**ked so its probably wrong:)

It all depends on how heavy your right foot is. It will do more than 30mpg in traffic if youre careful with it, but somehow I always end up with more like 27mpg in rush hour town driving.

Motorway driving can get you 40+mpg, again depending on how well behaved you are.

We get 26 Average, but that is 95% urban use, rarely above 50mph and on real short journeys (shopping, school run, blah, blah), but on any sort of run even booting it its way up in the high 30s. Damm good id say. Insurance for a more mature (cough) driver comes at £430 fully comp PHCB.

I Have one too!!! I also have had an Astra GSI and a 309 GTI this totally kicks there ass!!

Again like the other guys on here i get around 30MPG but thats with me booting it everytime i come up to another hot hatch at the lights :)

Also bettter looking then the newer model ha ha ha ;)

Subaru Forrester

I always get ~36-37 in mine with a mix of to and from work and some mway driving. Never ever had less than 33.

Im 28 and my insurance was <£500. Itll be for sale next month at £8500 ish next month. Offers welcome as Im emmigrating... ;)

Thanks for the replies guys, i may try and be sensible for a year and get a 1.4 sport. Then when im past 21 the insurance may be a bit kinder.

strangely the insurance on the 172 is higher than that of a bmw 328 sport coupe. Its 1500 fully comp for me on the 328 and 2500 for me on the 172. Barmy!!

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

probably because the BMW is perceived to be a mature drivers car and the 172 is perceived to be a loony hot hatch.

Ive also got a mk1 172 and love it to bits...fuel consumption is good and so is the performance but you cant get both at the same time...Even so, the consumption isnt bad even when booting it