ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant drain without making a mess?

Commie VID

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise 111S, Model 3
Hi all,
Am about to embark on the cambelt change, and just wanted to know more for future reference, how do you drain the coolant without making an absolute mess everywhere.
Was able to squeeze a pair of knipex pliers onto the clamp and remove the hose, but the chassis is right under, and the coolant then decides to take all sorts of paths, so ended up trickling from three different places. I think half of it has ended up on the floor!
Am I right in seeing that the thermostat would also need removing? Is this to help further drain all the coolant out? Just want to be sure, as I'll probably need to source at least a gasket, if not a new one just for the sake of it.
Cheers.

renault clio 1.4 16v
Bottom hose is about the best way, a long drip tray would work about the best but coolant will still find a way to the floor, taking the stat out will only drain the head, there should be a drain plug on the block somewhere if you want to do a full flush, although i wouldnt really worry about that, just use a hose pipe to flush the engine and radiator, when the stuff coming out is clean then you are tood to go...