ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coolant Flust - Themostat Off

Have to replace the rad etc etc tomorrow as I've picked up a hole on the backside. Usual passenger side!!

The only bit that worries me is the flush/bleed of the coolant.

Could someone let me know what part of the thermostat housing needs to be removed so I can flush the block.

Is it all the whole thing? All 9 odd bolts (A) or just the front bit with the 3 bolts (B)???

Thanks for any help :cool:

Found this pic:

DSC006311-1.gif

Westy. MX5
The thermostat is on the end of the engine with the top hose connected to it. You can flush the cooling sytem by disconnecting the top & bottom hoses, then stick the hosepipe in every pipe and run water through for a few minutes also take the expansion bootle cap off and flush from there. You don't need to take the thermostat housing off unless the head is suspected off being really gunked up.
The bleed bolt is in the centre of the thermostat housing, usually a brass headed bolt.

Last edited:
  BMW M135i
Can't flush the rad though without taking the thermostat out? Know where your coming from though probably best to change it if you're splitting the housing known a few to leak afterwards with the old thermostat back in.

edit: Ignore me, just take the top rad hose off!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
When I swapped my rad, I just filled it up and ran tje engine for 20 mins with the expansion tank lid off.

Never had a problem!