ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corby's BG 172 (Pic Heavy)

INTRO
Hi CS, This is my second thread as the first one was junk. See here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...Clio-172-Phase-2-My-First-Car-Exciting-Stuff!

I went and picked up my first car yesterday from oxford with my girlfriend and her dad. My dad works at oxford at Caterham F1 in the Composites Department, his mate Matt was selling the car and knew that I didn't have one, so he got chatting to him. He wanted around £1000 for the car, but because my dad knew him he sold it to him for £600. The money wasn't really an issue for Matt (the seller) as he recently just sold his house and bought himself a Audi A5 3.0L Diesel..
Anyway we went and picked up the car, Matt was a nice guy, told me what the car had done, what was wrong with it etc. He invited us inside to look around the Factory, but because the F1 cars were in Singapore we said we'd come back again and see everything.

So we said our goodbyes and drove the car home, well Rob did (My girlfriends dad) Nice drive home actually, the Stainless steel pipe without the center box and cat mate a lovely tone, the only thing we could fault so far was the underinflated left front tire which when we got home was running 12 Psi rather than the recomended 33. ''It's got a nice hard clutch and steering input'' Rob explained ''similar to the Evo'' (He's got a Mitsubishi Evo 4 running around 400 BHP i'll explain the mods if anyone asks).

The car was finally home and me and Kerstin (the girlfriend) set about the car, I did the hoovering under the bonnet as it was sat under a bush/tree for quite some time and the tiny leaves got under the bonnet and sills which made the car look untidy. Kerstin suggested we go to halfrauds to get some shampoo and other bits and pieces for the car.. why not!? But before I get to the pictures I'll give you a bit of background on the car.

The Car

Car - Reanult Clio Sport 172

Colour - Black Gold

Age - 53 plate

Mileage - 125,000

Legal Requirements - Taxed till the end of this year, Just passed the MOT about a month ago.

Modifications - Stainless steel exhaust, Decat without center box and Sony head unit

What's wrong with the car? - There's the usual scratches on the car due to it's age, a couple of small dents in the passenger door where some idiots opened their door onto it, The exhaust has a slight rattle when accelerating and going over bumps (probably the exhaust hanger) and needs a new dipped headlight bulb. Other than that I can't think of much else, If I find anything i'll post

Pictures

Here's the car when it arrived.
IMG_1665_zpsd7e7c2cf.jpg

IMG_1670_zpsef6334f0.jpg

IMG_1671_zps13692b01.jpg
IMG_1669_zps7422d82c.jpg

IMG_1672_zpsb05d2030.jpg

IMG_1677_zpscd62ed4c.jpg

As you can see, the car wasn't exactly in the best shape, as I said above, we went to halfrauds to get some products for her this is what we walked out with.

IMG_1678_zps927108a2.jpg

First thing we did was give her a nice warm wash.

IMG_1684_zps850bcf1c.jpg

IMG_1696_zps88a51355.jpg

Next we did the Pre wax cleaner

IMG_1698_zpsa6416296.jpg

We then used the black detailing spray

IMG_1707_zpsa0b82975.jpg

After shining the car I applied the Carnauba blend wax

IMG_1712_zps8d7f9d75.jpg

The left side of the boot is after the was was applied, then sprayed off again with the black detailing spray. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes from just a bit of TLC Kerstin is also hard at work doing the same process on the bumper (bless)

In total we spent around 6 hours on the car yesterday, and probably will do again today, I've got plans for her and, if I get round to it will be ordering some team dynamics today for her as at them moment are the only thing letting it down, and there might also be a set of GAZ coilovers in the pipeline, we'll see, still... I can't expect much for £600! ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

It will be Black Pearl mate, Black Gold only came on the 182

172 and non-sports came in pearl black

But sounds like a nice cheap motor, I will keep an eye on what you do to it

Awesome, any lairy colours?

I wanted a PB172 in January when I get a 172 but I decided flame red would be better for me as I have a PB non sport

I think you should definitely go something other than black unless you are going for the 'stealth' look

Hmm well, i've been planning the colour scheme, i think black and yellow. But I can't chose between black and anthracite, i want the renault hub badges yellow, as well as the renault front and back badges. the interior is going to be carbon fibre with yellow touches. My dad works with carbon at the F1 factory and said he could do a few things like the centre console and renaultsport strips with the airbag writing done in yellow, if you understand? Just simple yellow touches :)

Hmm well, i've been planning the colour scheme, i think black and yellow. But I can't chose between black and anthracite, i want the renault hub badges yellow, as well as the renault front and back badges. the interior is going to be carbon fibre with yellow touches. My dad works with carbon at the F1 factory and said he could do a few things like the centre console and renaultsport strips with the airbag writing done in yellow, if you understand? Just simple yellow touches :)

Sound like a good plan mate,

If going black and yellow I would stick to those, adding anthracite will have too many colours IMO mate

With the front badge how about doing something slightly different that is very rarely done but looks better? (IMO as I am one of the few to have done it lol)

severede.jpg

Not the best pic but you get the idea, sets it apart and suits a colour scheme better :)

Sound like a good plan mate,

If going black and yellow I would stick to those, adding anthracite will have too many colours IMO mate

With the front badge how about doing something slightly different that is very rarely done but looks better? (IMO as I am one of the few to have done it lol)

severede.jpg

Not the best pic but you get the idea, sets it apart and suits a colour scheme better :)

I think that would look good if the background was bright yellow, definitely something to consider.

Andy93 - My girlfriend is a graphic designer so she can make magic with photoshop, i'll see what black and silver look like and get a picture and ask for peoples opinions!

** UPDATE **

Only a small one however, the light a looking much better as before they'd been harassed by 6 years worth of cr*p.

Before
IMG_1721_zps81212f06.jpg
[/URL]

During

IMG_1727_zps20315f15.jpg
[/URL]

After

IMG_1730_zpse28677ee.jpg
[/URL]

They aren't perfect and thee pictures don't really do it justice, but i'm more than happy with the outcome.

I then finished waxing and polishing the car today, what a difference from how it started!

Here's the stainless from Ktec

IMG_1733_zpsc89e6233.jpg
[/URL]

Cheeky pic

IMG_1734_zpse59656a5.jpg
[/URL]

Rob's Evo

IMG_1736_zps8443a59e.jpg
[/URL]

** Small Update **

Team Dynamic Pro race 1.2's have arrived today from wheelbasealloys.com! The car is now on stilts with wheels off ready to be fitted tomorrow! Pics to come, Well Excited!
Quick question, the OEM 172 alloys are they a different offset to the TDs?, The hub fitments on the TDs look slightly further in on than the OEM ones, I'm hoping they are so they are further out, if not, i'll just have to buy spacers..

Fiesta ST
How much did the alloys set you back? I fancy some 1.2's for my 1.2 clio, not sure whether its worth buying new or picking some up from here or ebay and the likes.

You'll have to get some pics sorted ;)

Sorry guys, by the time I get home from work, it's almost pitch black.
I'll get some photos up tomorrow of the wheels, AND I promise you, BIG updates are coming this way, just waiting for the courier.