ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Corrosion on discs?

Clio 200
Since buying my 182 in Oct, I've noticed that when braking hard from high speed, I can hear a grating noise from the brakes. I posted a thread about it and was told it's probably a characteristic of having drilled and grooved discs. However, I've also noticed a humming/whirring noise when turning left. This made me think that the bearings were going?

Had the front offside wheel off today and saw that the inside of each front disc looks like this. Outside is normal. Loads of life in the pads and I drive it hard so odd to see them looking like this. There also doesn't appear to be any play or noise from the bearings on the front or rear.

Could this corrosion be making the noise? Time to overhaul the brakes I think.

DAFA9BC2-B621-4059-B038-3AB40A8BD044.jpg

dan's cast offs.
Outside edge of the disc has rusted and blown out. Tap the edge with a hammer and you'll see it start to fall off, almost like the face of the disc is a seperate layer. Mine have been like that for a while, makes some loveoly noises;)

Clio 200
Yep, that was my thinking. Already got some Brembo HC discs ordered. Doing the rears and pads all round too.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
As others have said , those discs are cream crackered . The thing that would concern me is , the inside face of the disc is so rusty as in the pic yet you say the outside face of the disc looks normal and the pads have plenty of meat left on them . It looks like your caliper might be a bit seized . When you change the discs and pads , check out the sliders too , they might need some grease or even some new slider pins if they've rusted inside . You can pick them up for about £15.00 off ebay

Clio 200
Yeah, that's my concern too. It's been an expensive month as had to change all the discs and pads as well as a caliper on the vRS.

turbo 182
As others have said , those discs are cream crackered . The thing that would concern me is , the inside face of the disc is so rusty as in the pic yet you say the outside face of the disc looks normal and the pads have plenty of meat left on them . It looks like your caliper might be a bit seized . When you change the discs and pads , check out the sliders too , they might need some grease or even some new slider pins if they've rusted inside . You can pick them up for about £15.00 off ebay
Have you a link to the ones on ebay mate? I've serched and there us a few different options and none are specific for a 182 thanks

Clio 200
Well, little update. Got new discs, pads (front and rear) and fluid from George on here. Just picked the car up and the noise has all gone. Thankfully the calipers were fine. The inside pads and discs were knackered so glad to get them off.
Thanks for the help.

Clio 182 FF
Just make sure the sliders where greased up and not corroded or you could end up in a similar situation again. isnt a big job to do and is on my list to do currently.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Well, little update. Got new discs, pads (front and rear) and fluid from George on here. Just picked the car up and the noise has all gone. Thankfully the calipers were fine. The inside pads and discs were knackered so glad to get them off.
Thanks for the help.

Glad you got sorted Nick

Those old discs you had on had seen better days mate