ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Could it be my BMC? Update from renault

Clio MK 4
Right reno rang me and said the oxy sensor does seem faulty but he says it could be due to my BMC induction kit?

What do you guys think? I've had the BMC kit on for 2 months or so and never had problems before?

Could the BMC kit have ruined the oxy sensor?

Megane 225
Never had any bother with mine with the BMC! How old is the car? The lambda sensor could just be dirty or you may have used s**t fuel?

Clio MK 4
I've never heard people have probs with the lambda sensor when fitting a bmc either. The car is 52 reg done 40k. I've refilled it with same petrol as always. He checked the wires around the sensor and they seem fine but he did say its coming up with a fault sometimes with the lambda sensor.

Also said it idles quite rough sometimes.

Do you think if i replace the sensor the BMC will make it fault again?

Clio MK 4
anyone? I need to tell renault to fit new lambda sensor or not? guna cost 180quid so bit worried incase it still does it or the bmc f***s it

Megane 225
Buy a lambda from GSF for 65 quid and fit it urself! It's prob just a dirty sensor, nothing to do with BMC

Clio MK 4
Do you need to remove loads of engine parts to fit it?? Cause renault guna charge 100 quid labour which 2hours or so??

172 A Cupwork Orange™
engine parts? the lambda sensor is in the cat and is screwed in and there is 1 connector on that basicly plugs in good old renault 2hours to remove and fit a new one hahah

jlambda2.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z178/tr332k/jlambda2.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio MK 4
So i wont have to remove my BMC kit with the CAF as i had such trouble fitting it i dont fancy removing it and refitting?

172 A Cupwork Orange™
So i wont have to remove my BMC kit with the CAF as i had such trouble fitting it i dont fancy removing it and refitting?

wouldn't have thought so tbh just renault talking out of there bottoms as per by the sounds of it mate, above is a general idea of what your lambada sensor looks like, look under ur car at your cat and will see it :) as said above buy a GSF for 65 quid and fit it your self ten min job,

Clio MK 4
Thing is I have lifetime warranty on my exhaust system and if tampered with it is void. So if i get a garage to fit the sensor does that mean they will have to tamper with the system??

Clio MK 4
Lambda senosrs on 172's, are there different types as i read there are twin ones, 2 seperate sensors in the cat etc. Bit confused.

Clio II 1.5 dCi Dynamique
Lambda's don't last forever ... I think they have around 60K miles life generally. Poor fuel, over heating, manufacturing faults, etc could make them fail earlier.

PH1 172 Sport
Have you got an aftermarket cat then? I wouldn't think anybody would class changing a lambda sensor as tampering with your exhaust system. How would they know anyway?

Megane 225
It'll normally be the pre-cat sensor that goes 1st, as it gets the hottest fumes etc. If renault did a diagnostics then they'll know which 1 it is. They will charge about an hour or so labour for this diagnosis, then prob an hour to fit sensor and reset fault light. But the light should turn off by itself after changing the sensor! If I was you I'd do it myself and save a few quid!

I have heard that induction kits can effect the o2 sensor.
I changed mine before the cat but had to reset the light..lucky I know someone with a diagnostic machine :)

Do you need to remove loads of engine parts to fit it?? Cause renault guna charge 100 quid labour which 2hours or so??

OMG..takes about 2 seconds to change...need a special tool that costs £10 from A1 motorstores...can reach down and do it from the engine bay.
I would recommend a genuine Renault one though as aftermarket ones can play up.

Megane 225

OMG..takes about 2 seconds to change...need a special tool that costs £10 from A1 motorstores...can reach down and do it from the engine bay.

No special tool needed, just a 21mm (iirc) spanner!

No special tool needed, just a 21mm (iirc) spanner!

I got the special tool as it has a cut out in the side for the sensor wires.

Megane 225
A spanner will work just as well. As for the BMC affecting it when the engine is cold, surely this is only due to the increased airflow? And you should only get a noticably increased flow when gunning it. In other words let the car warm up before gunning the balls out of it!