ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

could this be serious???

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
ok, on the way to the misses house earlier and i noticed a weird sound.

when im changing up the gears, full throttle or not, there is a screaching(like a fan belt screach)when i hit 3750 rpm then as soon as the needle moves off 3750 rpm it goes?
only does it going up the gears, not coming down the gears!

anybody have any ideas what it could be?

cheers davo

Ph1
If it snaps it can take the cam belt with it so id get it changed as quick as you can plus the aux pulleys as they get brittle with age

davo172cup said:
no it doesnt do it while im stationary!
is the aux belt pully serious???
If it fails it likes to take the cambelt with it which is expensive.
Sounds more like a vibration issue to me somehting resonating I'd check all the bolts are tight and check for the idles on the AUX belt see if they look wrong.

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
ok mate cheers will get it looked at! how do i check the idles on the aux belt? where is it?
will the aux belt pullys go after only 23k? i would have thought they would have lasted longer than that?

davo172cup said:
ok mate cheers will get it looked at! how do i check the idles on the aux belt? where is it?
will the aux belt pullys go after only 23k? i would have thought they would have lasted longer than that?
There changed along with the belt at the 36k service.

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
cheers edde, mite go to renault just to have it checked! but hopefully it wont be anything serious! if it makes the sound when im stationary is it definatly the aux belt/pullys?

Clio
I had something similar but it was just a loose heatshield vibrating like a b*stard and made a horrible high pitch noise. Got it welded up and its fine now.

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
cheers guys for the help.

i just noticed 2 other things that could help determine what i could be....

1. it doesnt make the noise when the car is cold! only after about 3-5mins of driving.

2. it doesnt make the noise when im statonary, in nuetraul, and rev up to 4k? if it was belt/pullies wudnt it make the noise regardless of me actually driving or being stationary?

Someone posted a similar thread on here a week or so ago, and someone else (wow could I be more vague!?) suggested that it might be a gas escaping from the exhaust system somewhere around the CAT.

Mine does this after about 6500rpm but only when I've got my foot down. If I hold stead at those revs it doesn't make the noise.