ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Couldnt get the pinch bolt out, lower ball joint.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Febi, Its a pain but I will just have to fork the £12 for the two bolts, Half the reason there not out is because I didnt want to f**k the thread up on the bolt until I had new ones.

they should come with bolts. I fitted one a week or so ago

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Found the easy way to get the pinch bolts off.

Tools :

Lump hammer,
smaller average hammer ( with a flat or ball ended tail end)
spanner ( what ever size yours is )
deep socket ( again what ever size yours is )
Punch tool ( no bigger than the diameter of the bolt )
Breaker bar or large ratchet spanner ( may need adaptor for socket and a extension bar.

Get socket and adapter on breaker bar nd place on nut , place spanner on bolt head.
Crack the nut off with the breaker bar whilst still holding spanner on tether end.

Once the nut starts slacking off, change socket to rachet spanner and take nut off completely.
Re do the nut on a few threads, then take both hammer and lump hammer, place hammer on nut face, hit the hammer rear head with lump hammer unit the bolt has moved all the way through til there's no space between hub and nut.

Take nut off again, and the proceed to push bolt through will punch tool.

If done correctly with care and force ;) the bolt should fall out the other end.

( ps, that's how I did it, you may find an easer way )

Yeah I tried all that mate, head started rounding on the bolt it only cracked about a quater turn and then the socket only slipped off, so will wait for the new bolts to come then I won't care about giving the thread side hell until it comes out with some help from heat.

172cup
Shouldn't need an air gun get some thing to take the weight of the lower arm so the bolt in level it its hole, then I use a metal spike and hit it like you'd hit a pedo

LY R26 #288
Mine were exactly the same. They were solid. I managed to get them spinning with my impact gun then I managed to work them out. Pig of a job. And watch them cv boots. It's easy to damage them when doing ball joints!

LY R26 #288
I can't imagine doing it without an impact gun lol. It's hard to get a good swing at it with a hammer I should imagine.

Just seen this, first time I was careful because I didnt have replacement bolts.

Second time round a week or so ago, I tried everything, had replacement bolts so didnt care, Heated around the bolt, smacked it and smacked it... absolutely f**k all.

Dont think they have been changed in there lifetime so its siezed. Haven't been a pussy with it I just cant get enough swing on the lump hammer whilst its on the drive, Ive had the caliper housing off to try a braker bar on the nut but it started to round with the angle so I'm taking it to my tyre place tomorrow to see if they can whizz the bolts free.

Supposed to be an easy job, I hate stuck bolts.

Changed my grandads lower balljoints and girlfriends in the last month and they both slid out easy, sods law.

I did mine yesterday, watch the passenger side.

I used a bigger bolt and just gave it some with a 3lb copper hide and some lubricant spray once you get it started its easy. I then used a smaller punch to get it out.

It your using the original bolt best to leave the nut on when you hit to prevent you damaging the thread.

Lionel Richie
eh? ball joint attaches to the hub, wishbone (large bush either side) attaches to subframe

the ball joint doesn't "pop out"

the ball joint is held into the hub with a pinch bolt, unbolt ball joint from wishbone, then remove pinch bolt then use a ball joint fork splitter to remove