ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cracked 172 windscreen

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi all, was out a drive yesterday and went past a car which flunge 2 stones up and chipped the windscreen just where the window wipers sit usually.

Went out today and noticed that one of the chips has now cracked up the windscreen a bit (pics below)

Ive called autoglass and they are going to call tomorrow to arrange an appointment to replace the screen at a cost of £75.

My question is... When the tech comes and fits the new screen, how long will i have to wait before driving the car?
Thanks

vu7yzuve.jpg
azumunaz.jpg

172 cup
The last time i had one done they said to leave it at least a hour but i think its depends on temperature etc..

RB 182
i've got the same problem! i've got a crack in my 182 windscreen. problem is, these sensored windscreens are dead expensive.. (AutoGlass - £450)

only just got the chuffing car as well, so if i claim from the insurance they'll almost definitely investigate it...right?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
i've got the same problem! i've got a crack in my 182 windscreen. problem is, these sensored windscreens are dead expensive.. (AutoGlass - £450)

only just got the chuffing car as well, so if i claim from the insurance they'll almost definitely investigate it...right?
It's a windscreen not a written off Enzo.. I wouldn't worry lol.

Changes to often
i used to fit alot of windscreens when i worked for audi, we used to tell the customers to leave them over night with us before driving, but to behonest 3 or 4 hours and it should be good to drive

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I was also worried about the windscreen being replaced with a normal clio screen but the lassy on the phone confirmed that they will be fitting a reflective/sun blocking screen and they know about the rain sensors

3 or 4 hours sounds reasonable enough. Suppose i could wash it before they come then polish it etc while im waiting :)

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
I had my 182 windscreen replaced by the insurance, tell them you hit a pothole or a stone chip went pop and they will cover it, usually no questions asked. Cost me £70 after mine cracked! Much better price :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah it genuinely was a stonechip that has now began to crack.

Like i said, i passed a car and it flung stones up and i got nailed twice and a rather large one on my bonnet that ive noticed aswell now!

Thanks for the info guys :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Bonus! Just had a call from autoglass, they have a windscreen in stock and will be out to do it tomorrow :)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
New screen is in, all new seals/trims etc fitted aswell. Even got the new trim on the top with the little spoiler thing :)

And a free set of bosch wipers :)

Low and Slow 1.4 16v

nah i had my windscreen replaced, it doesn't affect your insurance just have to pay the £70 excess. I have renewed my insurance since with no issues

Clio 182
Thread resurrection (sorry)
My 182 has three cracks coming up from the corner.

I'm with privilege insurance and think they use autoglass... reading conflicting things regarding the claim. Does this effect your premium but not ncb? Hoping they replace the trim etc as standard and the rain/light sensor will still work

PH2 172
Thread resurrection (sorry)
My 182 has three cracks coming up from the corner.

I'm with privilege insurance and think they use autoglass... reading conflicting things regarding the claim. Does this effect your premium but not ncb? Hoping they replace the trim etc as standard and the rain/light sensor will still work
Your NCB is protected, but your premium can go up & down like a nuns skirt.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
As mentioned, won't have any effect on your NCB. Since the OP was worried about how long it takes before you can drive your car, I think it's worth mentioning that they will travel and fit a new screen at your workplace.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You don’t need to claim windscreen replacements as claims on future insurance policies right?

Clio 182
Well if you are with privilege like myself you can claim uo to three times a year before it effects your ncb or premium. Hard to beleive.

Been reading mixed reviews about autoglass though. The women says it' a clear windscreen with the rain and light sensor bit but I was under the impression the windscreen was some sort of tinted one