ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cracked Windscreen Help/Advice

Trophy #321
Hi, managed to get a crack in my windscreen the other night from some douche driver flicking stones up, and it's a good 4-5 inches. I've been told it has to be a new windscreen as chips are fixable but cracks this big are not. Now I'm not fully comp so no windscreen cover, and Autoglass has quoted me £458 WITH discount....which I didn't respond to the woman as I thought this is clearly a joke.

So anyway, has anyone had to replace a ph2 172 windscreen, does any-one know where to get one for a decent price, or does any-one have or know of one for sale?

Thanks, Adam

G

Gregor11

why not look at picking one up from a breakers? autoglass etc will charge £40-£60 to remove your old one and fit a new one! plenty of 2nd hand screens about, problem being you'd have to collect it id imagine!
but they are bonded so you wont do it yourself with out damaging something, need some fine cheese wire etc, but you may mark the roof, trims etc, so get a pro to do it!

Trophy #321
Well It kind of does, but i'm more concerned about how easily it turned from a small 20p chip to a 4-5 inch crack after the next small bump, so I think it will just get bigger + bigger if I drive it as usual? Eventually causing a big problem. lol

Trophy #321
why not look at picking one up from a breakers? autoglass etc will charge £40-£60 to remove your old one and fit a new one! plenty of 2nd hand screens about, problem being you'd have to collect it id imagine!
but they are bonded so you wont do it yourself with out damaging something, need some fine cheese wire etc, but you may mark the roof, trims etc, so get a pro to do it!

I am trying to find one at a breakers at the moment, does any-one know of any clio breakers in the north-west? I've rang a couple but no clio's. :(
+ yes I'll be getting a pro to do the swap. Thanks again

182cup & 172 racecar
Get your local windscreen chip repairer to fix it.
They will just drill a small hole at the top of the crack and fill it,this stops it creeping any further.Had it done on the race car on a massive crack and it hasn't moved since.
You can get a windscreen for about £130 ish new.

Trophy #321
Get your local windscreen chip repairer to fix it.
They will just drill a small hole at the top of the crack and fill it,this stops it creeping any further.Had it done on the race car on a massive crack and it hasn't moved since.
You can get a windscreen for about £130 ish new.

This would be the easiest thing to do but if it's a crack is it not a MOT fail and also could you not get done for it? Thats what I thought anyway.

Thanks for the other replies I'm getting it sorted now.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't bother with a heat reflective screen. Waste of time.

Just buy a cheap basic screen, should be about £110 fitted plus vat.