ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Crap Brakes

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

The brakes on my RT were poor to start with but now theyre just f*cked!
Has anyone fitted replacement pads and disks and if so what do you recommend.
Im getting some new wheels soon, probably 15s or 16s (havent decide yet - money and all that!) so if I need bigger calipers they might just fit.

Please help!!!

Rick

i bought a set of 16V discs and calipers off a breakers yard and they bol straight on. Increase braking 100% with the mintex pads and group n rally discs i use.....its really easy to do. But one thing is that pedal travel will increase as the master cylinder is a bit smaller. i bought a 16V mater cylinder and now everythings good. But you might want to get a garage to go the master cylinder as i did it when my engine was out and i think it will be hard with the engine in.
standard calipars and solid discs are crap...no doubt!

Skoda Fabia vRS

Auto Performance Products in Rochdale

www.a-pp.com

are doing a special on Mintex pads, i was there today and they have LOADS of stock

id get those

Jst out of interest, how difficult do you think it would be to perform a rear disk conversion?

I kow its not really necessary with my car only being a 1.4 but it would look cool.

The 1.4S (my model) even came with optional ABS and rear disks from Renault.

i think you might have to change the rear axle, but if you measure the two drum brakes bolts positions and distance apart, then the corresponding ones on disc calipers then see if their the same, they should just bolt on. But youll need a compensator valve or you will be locking your rears all the time!!! dangerous, my made has just done a rear disc conversion on his mk1 golf, and not its arse out everytime he touches the brakes. personally, i dont think its worth the hassle.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

If 16v brakes are as hard to find as 16v bonnets then I think Im in for a long wait.

Ill probably just uprate the pads and disks for now (Black Diamond disks/EBC Greenstuff pads) and keep my eyes open for a 16v setup.
I wonder if fitting a larger master cylinder would make any difference with the standard calipers?

Rick

A decent upgrade are available from Nick Hill at Hill Power (www.hillpower.co.uk) Tarox brakes etc....bloody excellent by all accounts and not THAT expensive. £260 approx including fitting if you have pads and discs fitted at the same time...trust me you will be amazed at the ability of them too...even from cold!

Much better than EBC Greenstuff, which are pretty sh*te... Pagid make great pads, but you need comaprable discs...otherwise Mintex are prolly the best bet.