ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CSL Rebuilt

Turbos.
Well, little has actually changed with the CSL over the last 4 months or so but even so there has been still a lot of damage to mind and wallet on a personal level!

Some may remember what i did to it a while back...

bang.gif

Besides the obvious damage, the impact the car took meant the exhaust creased up all the way to the manifold. It also punctured a rear tyre, damaged subframe brace and laterly i found it had warped a lower wishbone too.

A double edged sword was that i waited 4 months for the carbon exhaust surround from BMW Germany. The positive being the wallet got to relax for a bit! Unfortunately it comes pre-painted, and the match isn't spot as you would expect, so down the line it will need repainting.

Elsewhere i managed to source second hand OE exhaust bits, excluding a straight through Supersprint centre pipe. The bumper was repaired and both rear tyres replaced.

I have added some dress up items, namely silvervisions, iPod cable and new wheel nuts all round (they were rusty). The front carbon 'flippers' were rubbed down and relacquered also. Its also now got an aggressive setup on the front, with as much as the OE top mounts will give. At this stage i found the rear wishbone needed replacing as it wouldn't give the same setup as the other side.

One good bit of news was that it has been rolling roaded a couple of times. A sticky induction flap was costing me 30bhp, but now all fixed it posted the best rolling roaded CSL figures by BMSport. It 'only' made 355bhp, but a car with full Supersprint and remap made 340bhp on the same rolling road (over 370bhp at another). Its going to be in Performance BMW because of it so i'm quite excited about that. Anyway, here are some pics of the old girl back in all her former glory!

P1050421.gif

P1050426.gif

P1050419.gif

P1050418.jpg

P1050417.jpg

Hopefully i'll get some nice snaps at the Westerham meet, if the weathers nice i'm taking the front plinth off and putting on a 3/4 plate :D

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
gorgeous.. love the csl's! bet you never get bored of the noise!

S4 Avant
Thats an impressive result going on what it looked like before, hats off to you. Hope to get the 182 looking just as straight soon.

Mountune Tractor
hate it hate it hate it!!!! :mad:

(That was actually a lie, I don't hate it at all. Infact i love it. I think what i was trying to say was that I hate you for being able to own one and run it).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I missed the thread on the original damage. What happened?

Loved the noise of the standard CSL when Clarkson took one out on Top Gear. With fettled bits of zorst, it must sound amazing. :)

Has this car got the future potential to be just as highly regarded as the original M3? Makes you think. A true classic.

D.

Turbos.
Here is the original thread.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=341038&highlight=CSL

It does sound amazing. I went out in an M3 with a Gruppe M and it sounded awesome up the rev range but was boomy everywhere else. No bacbox has proven to give power over OEM so the only other change i'll consider is sports cats. The centre pipe gives a bit of extra depth, especially in tunnels... but the induction still dominates.

Hard to say with the CSL, it might turn out like the Porsche 964 RS which didn't get amazing reviews but is now quite expensive.

I think it was hypocritical of some corners of the press to slate the CSL for being too hard and expensive over a normal M3, but then its its the same with a GT3, yet they loved that! I'm hoping residuals will stay strong anyway lol. Here is quite a well balanced review...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/new_car_reviews/article1075184.ece

Poopensharten

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
A man with taste indeed.

I was up at Knockhill 2-3 years ago and there was a lad there with a purple one? He told me its a very rare example? I couldnt comment because i know not much about the BMW's?

Also i think it was very tweaked as i was riding passenger in a 911 turbo and it was flying past us in the straight :eek:

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Great stuff, love the CSL look. Was gonna get a Gruppe M for mine but couldnt believe the cost!

Took mine out today after driving the van all week, so much fun, its awesome.

you may know it, clio?
i remembe the post a short while ago was it on a track?

looking good now thought :]