ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup’s arrived...one week on...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

The First Week…

Well, the Cup finally arrived last Friday, but true to form I had to wait at work, in the freezing cold until 6:30pm before the delivery driver finally showed up (it was meant to arrive in the morning…but then it was meant to have arrived during the second week of September originally…the New-Car-Discount.com experience…what a joy eh?). The handover went smoothly, and everything I was expecting, missing splitter/wonky Cup badges etc. was all present and correct…what a relief.

It had 300 miles on it when delivered having been driven from Stockport down to the south coast, and by the end of the (very late) night I was 50 miles from it being fully run in. I managed to resist the temptation to rag the hell out of it and to be honest, there was no need. The light weight meant that even though it’s not over endowed with torque, it’s in gear pull was way better, at any revs, that I was used to with my V6 Mondeo.

Commuting into work has never been so much fun as it has this last week (now that it’s run in nicely)…I’ve been leaving 30 mins earlier in the morning so I can double back on myself on a stretch of the A27 which is several half mile lengths of dual carriageway and roundabouts. On several occasions I’ve found myself laughing out loud (is that normal for Cup owners?) at how much speed I can carry round corners. The top end between 5-7k rpm is to die for, and the noise is superb! I’ve been a biker for many years and I never thought you could get a “four wheeled bike”, but this thing is the closest I’ve ever come to it.

What I love most is how it responds to the tiniest things…the throttle response is amazing, the lift-off oversteer is so gradual and predictable that I lapped one particular roundabout 3 or 4 times on my way in one morning…lift-off, wind off some lock, balance on the throttle, repeat ad infinitum. The turn in is sharp as hell, and I can place it where I want it in a way that just wasn’t possible in my Dagenham barge.

Fuel consumption…is this thing on a f***ing diet or what? Driving gently in the Mondeo I’d get 320 miles at best from a 60 litre tank…if the trip computer is to be believed I’m heading for 380 miles from it’s 50 litre tank. *mental note to self…must try harder, must try harder!*

I’ve got a few squeaks and rattles already, but thanks to this site and all of you I was prepared for and expecting that as part of the ownership experience so I’m really not that fussed about it…if I was after a creak free interior I’d have bought an A3 or something, and spent the rest of my mortal life wishing I hadn’t.

I spent Wednesday afternoon on the phone to R-Sport and this morning my replacement ECU turned up…Jonathon at R-Sport recommended getting at least 1,000 miles on the clock before fitting it so for now, I’ve locked it away in the safe at work for another week. I can’t wait to get it fitted though…I’ve a real problem catching it before it hits the limiter when going for it…I’m just so not used to everything happening as quickly as it does that I’m banging off it before I know what’s happening. Apart from that I’m only planning on a panel filter and nothing else. I think they look superb just the way they are and want to keep it as original as possible.

So that’s about it, one week, 500 miles, and aching cheeks from smiling so much…does it get any better than this?!

Mark

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Welcome to the fun!!! :D

Get a few more miles on there and they loosen up nicely...

Dont trust the fuel computer though. Theyre good, but not quite as good as indicated.

Cant believe you got an R-Sport already! ;)

If youre getting a panel filter though, get an ITG one!

Enjoy...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 04 December 2003

Shouldnt you run it in before putting on the ECU? 300 miles on it?!?!?! why?
Re-read his post...

Hes got the ECU but is not fitting it yet!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

New-Car-Discount.com got it from a dealer in Bradford, then I think it was taken to Stockport, before being driven to me (by a 60 something year old thankfully..."ooh, its a bit firm innit") in Hampshire, hence the 300 miles.

The ECU? How could I not get one? Its insurance and warranty friendly (kind of) and gives a slug of extra midrange...itd be rude not to!:D

Rich - I was looking for an ITG one...I filled in the contact details on the ITG website but no-ones called or mailed me. None of the other sites Ive come across have the Cup listed...any suggestions?

Ive had mine nearly 3 weeks and only done 180 miles! Id love to drive it on a track. It just feels like thats where it needs to be, Ive really started to notice just how bad most british roads are. Theyd rather spend money putting speed humps on a road than resurfacing it.

Fuel comp is alright, i tend to reset after half a tank and it seems to read spot on then. Expect about 300miles per tank. I know what you mean about catching it before the limiter, things tend to happen a bit quick after 4k revs.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

22,500 miles in - fully worn in... you are in for a rela treat and thank you for the lovely positive review of the Cup.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Not_for_long on 04 December 2003

Rich - I was looking for an ITG one...I filled in the contact details on the ITG website but no-ones called or mailed me. None of the other sites Ive come across have the Cup listed...any suggestions?
Well, the ITG is the best panel filter from RR trials, so worth hunting down.

Ill see if I can find any info for ya, but I got a Viper.

Weeman sucks ****

Mark,

One of the best posts Ive read in a long time. People moan about the people that moan (if that makes sense??) about their cups/172s and say theyve changed their minds. Youve just summed up what Ive been getting for the past 11 months in mine, 15000 miles on...

...keep on truckin dude.

Yeah, nice detailed post for once, well done mate, im up to 850 miles now and it gets better and better each day, best car ive owned, and ive owned a fair few;)

Rick

"...the lift-off oversteer is so gradual and predictable that I lapped one particular roundabout 3 or 4 times on my way in one morning…lift-off, wind off some lock, balance on the throttle, repeat ad infinitum."

You really need a track fix! Im looking at 3 months cold turkey at the moment til the ring re-opens...

Ed

R

rich[182]

Yeh great post, Im in roughly same position with my 172

Had it 13 days now, Done 450 miles. Done about 300 of them in town driving and commuting to/from work and the other 150 from a total M1 motorway trip and the car runs like a dream.

Starts 1st time every time, runs great from cold, never stalled, its smooth arround town and although ive not gone above 3500rpm yet it pulls smooth and just wants to go.............

3 issues so far have been

* Slight tear in drivers leather - Renault replacing entire bottom of seat

* Defect in paint lacquer on drivers door - Renault to sort out any time I want

* Front wipers sometime stick after half a dozen cycles - Renault to look at

Really happy with the car and cant wait to give it some stick

My only problem is in deciding what mods to do, Thinking of R-Sport, Panel Filter & Cat back zorst

nice one fella, i think pound for pound the Cup is the best car ive ever owned, great value, and reasonably cheap to run. it cruises at 130 mph, and will keep up with any car under £30k.( i love seeing those BMW planks faces in there overpriced underpowered barges looking shamed after a £13k clio just left them for dead.)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by dirkdiggler on 05 December 2003

One of the best posts Ive read in a long time.
Aww, shucks:oops:

Well, I wanted to get some road time under my belt and post something more than "iv got a cup + its gr8"...hopefully something that others might find usefull too.

Rich - thanks for the link...wasnt looking for it when I was on the site.

Ed/Jean Ragnotti - got voucher for a full track day at Castle Combe anytime before July 2004...my wife bought me a voucher for it when I still had my Mondeo...that was part of the reason for my wanting something a little more focussed and less expensive on tyres. tis good on the track then eh?

Second full tank of Optimax went in yesterday and Id managed 35mpg when the trip was saying 37mpg so its a damn sight more accurate than the one on my Mondeo.

Hang on...that means Im £60 a month better off (compared with the 24mpg of the Ford)...so the ECU has been paid for with 4 months of fuel savings...and the Castle combe track day is "only" £140...what are the chances of me convincing the wife that I should do the track day thing every couple of months I wonder?:D:D:D

My mpg is always around 29.9. Ive only used BP Ultimate so far though. Have to get a tank of Optimax next.

My MPG for a long time (15K worth of driving) was at an indicated 28, but since I reset it at 15k, Ive been on 29.4 for 8K. Maybe Ive calmed down a bit, and dont boot it absoloutely everywhere!!!!!

The Cup is absoloutely amazing on fuel, along with everything else it makes it a brilliant buy. (You would expect to have to buy a V6 engined car to get this sort of performance usually, and if I had one of those I bet I wouldnt see above 15MPG, if I treated it like the Cup!

Elise/VX220/R26

Quote: Starts 1st time every time,

Always a bonus that one ;)

Mine runs like a b**ch when its cold :(