ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP/172 Engine Mounts

I posted on here just before xmas about a knocking noise (well, a single "clunk") that occurs when crawling in traffic in first or second gear and then backing off abruptly so theres a large amount of engine braking. It also happens when in reverse and slipping the clutch, say reversing up a slope, ie: causing the car to rock back and forward a bit.

Its been in for warranty work and had the engine mount on the drivers side replaced................problem solved. The technician commented that its a common thing with 172s/Cups, apparently there was a batch of mountings that were a bit "soft", causing too much engine movement under certain conditions, and coz some of the tolerances are a bit tight, this could cause the knock. That said, they didnt seem able to put their finger on exactly what was knocking on what !

Thought the update might be useful.

Anyone got any ideas about what would have been knocking ?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Hmmm... might have to look into this.

I actually snapped the bolt that holds the gearbox mounting on though! :oops:

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Had 2 of my engine mountings done this morning at K-Tec. Cars done 30k, but Ive had problems since about 25k. Bottom torsion mount was totally shot ... bush had shifted out by about 10 mm and mount had started to wear away where it touched a bracket. Had the one done under the battery too.

Can still get it to bang if I try extra hard, and the my other problem of a buzz where exhaust manifold bounces against the heatshield whilst improved is still there :(

Only one left to try is the more expensive looking hydraulic mount on the drivers side!

Basically seems like 172/Cup engine mounts arent up to the job!!

Gav and David at K-Tec were excellent as ever tho ... determined to get this sorted out for me!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 12 January 2004

Hmmm... might have to look into this.

I actually snapped the bolt that holds the gearbox mounting on though! :oops:
Thats meant to happen, its like a fuse. snapped mine loads.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 12 January 2004

I actually snapped the bolt that holds the gearbox mounting on though!
Thats meant to happen, its like a fuse. snapped mine loads.
Suppose its better to break that than something serious...