ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CUP > 172 mk1

Remapped derv Golf
Right, Just an idea I've been toying with. Unlocking some money in my Cup and buying one of these "cheap" MK1's for about £4500. Need about £3k to spend on various things so this would be perfect.

Has anyone gone from a Cup (or ph2) to mk1 before? How does the ph1 drive differently to a Cup? I know it's still pretty light and not far off the Cup pace.

Many people have said the mk1 is the best drive out of all the RS's in the past.

You can't deny it's alot of car for £4.5k - I've even seen one for £3.8k!

172 Cup
I'm sure there's quite a few people that have gone from MK2's to MK1's (172's) on here.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
yer, just to note it will not handle like your cup, but isa hell of a lot of fun, there just as quick and some are quicker than cups but with a few goodies, leather,a/c abs etc, its certainly not 3k lesser car!

id say have a good test drive in one..

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
my question is why? if you are going from a newer car to an older car then get a williams, much better looking and everyone knows they faster! pound for pound i think you will have more fun in a williams

ive had a cup before. i actually upgraded instead of downgraded but now own a williams 3 which i paid more for than a lot of mk1 172's out there. i went for the williams as it was a schoolboy icon car for me, they are rare, most bits have been replaced on them and they dont depreciate if you maintain them. i have a few gubbins on mine and is as quick as the cup, as good handling and bags more character than a 172. dont discount them - they are great fun - but decent examples are as a rare as rocking horse shhh. fyi there is a lovely on on the f7r forum for 5k. the advantage you have is that they are exclusive and although you will have running costs, residuals are not an issue.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent
seonded^^^ loadsof minters out ther but for a price, thye wont depreciate as much as 172/182s seeing as the new model is out this year

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
ben_p said:
yer, just to note it will not handle like your cup, but isa hell of a lot of fun, there just as quick and some are quicker than cups but with a few goodies, leather,a/c abs etc, its certainly not 3k lesser car!

id say have a good test drive in one..

Dont think they are quicker than a cup..........plus the MK1 172 looks poop - back bumper / rear lights / wheels.....

But they are cheap.

they do look pretty twoddle. wouldnt think speed has a great deal in it with all the derivatives really or am i opening a bag of worms. i bought the cup as it did have the edge on chuckability over the full fat and i wanted as light a car as poss after coming from an elise but out and out speed there was nothing in it in the real world

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
EVOgone said:
Dont think they are quicker than a cup..........plus the MK1 172 looks poop - back bumper / rear lights / wheels.....

But they are cheap.
you know you would loose

....can of worms more like. and by the way - point to point - the breathed on williams would prob edge the cup ;-p

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
ben_p said:
you know you would loose

LMAO....go race your nova and saxo's........dont race on the road its for idiots.

Come back when you can lap comfotabley the ring in under 9mins......2up and full tank of petrol in a std 172.. if you have the bottle to go in the first place. Before you say bragging there are a couple of people on here that have done it but not you.

Enjoy your car and stop b*tchin..

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
EVOgone said:
LMAO....go race your nova and saxo's........dont race on the road its for idiots.

Come back when you can lap comfotabley the ring in under 9mins......2up and full tank of petrol in a std 172.. if you have the bottle to go in the first place. Before you say bragging there are a couple of people on here that have done it but not you.

ok whens the next ring trip?

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
malbon said:
....can of worms more like. and by the way - point to point - the breathed on williams would prob edge the cup ;-p

"Egde the cup" yes very true on the rear quarter when it passed cause the Willy driver carnt handle the truth..

Ad

MK2 FRS
EVOgone said:

Hmm, pot kettle and black comes to mind......

Usual level of patronising as expected....:rolleyes:

I happen to think the ph1 172 looks the best out of the lot as i think the phase2/182's will age a lot over the next few years...too many sharp lines IMO. For freeing up 3k and still having esentially the same car i'd do it.

There are less Mk1 172's so I think it's a future classic in the making.
Mk2 172's can already be picked up for less than £1000 more, 172 Cups too...

Back to the OP question - George16V had a 172 cup then went to a Ph 1 172, guess which one he prefered?

Remapped derv Golf
Only sat in a mk1 once when I went looking at the Cup. I really prefered the driving position and smaller wheel.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
adtmits said:
Hmm, pot kettle and black comes to mind......

Usual level of patronising as expected....:rolleyes:

Dont understand your comment "Pot and Kettle"....

Patronising maybe but if you had seen all hes other spamming then you would be too....

Think id rather have the phase 1 anyway....with phase rear bumper lights and wheels lol.

But i like the front end alot better than the phase 2 172

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Its all personnal preference....quite frankly there is not much in it from the Willy the the trophy.....

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
why its the best handleing fastest cup? i dont understand? you tell every one this?

Ad

MK2 FRS
EVOgone said:
Dont understand your comment "Pot and Kettle"....

Patronising maybe but if you had seen all hes other spamming then you would be too....

i.e you told him to stop bitching with a bitchy comment earlier on in your post!!! Hence pot kettle black...:rasp:

as for spamming.......... much worse spammers than ben:)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
adtmits said:
i.e you told him to stop b*tching with a b*tchy comment earlier on in your post!!! Hence pot kettle black...:rasp:

as for spamming.......... much worse spammers than ben:)

Agree with that but thought you were on about street racing saxo and nova. Which you wont find me doing...

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
and wtf! are you on about racing novas? i ment on a track against the EVO sorry cup?.....

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
ben_p said:
and wtf! are you on about racing novas? i ment on a track against the EVO sorry cup?.....

Dont race on track either........

Let stop trashing the guys thread

Ad

MK2 FRS
EVOgone said:
Agree with that but thought you were on about street racing saxo and nova. Which you wont find me doing...

gotcha........

Is all bit of light hearted banter!!!