ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup 172 tuning help

cup 182
Iv booked my car in for a dyno run on monday to check it's bhp
The car has an induction kit and cobra sport cat back exhaust
Im not looking to go nuts with It but how quicker would the car be with uprated cams and a remap with the exhaust and induction kit roughly? 0-60 and bhp?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
There won't be much difference at the end of the day, but the cams and remap (done properly) should result in a more engaging drive and improved drivability. Take a look through existing discussions on this sort of stuff by using the forum Search option. You should be able to find a fair bit of information. :)

cup 182
So basically spending nearly £1000 pounds on cams and a remap isn't worth it then? And doesn't make car that much quicker?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So basically spending nearly £1000 pounds on cams and a remap isn't worth it then? And doesn't make car that much quicker?
Not a massive difference, no. These F4R engines don't tune particularly well unless you are prepared to spend a lot more than a grand. That's not to say it's not worth doing; my point is that you have to go into it with your eyes open and realistic expectations. Don't forget the additional 450-600 (depending on where you get it done) quid as well for the belt(s) and, possibly, dephaser. It's generally wise to get cams done at the same time the belts are due.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Your cup will be about 165-170 depending on the dyno. If its a healthy engine etc it will be what it says on the tin, 172.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So do cams or a remap make the car any quicker or is it a complete waste of time?
Depending on the health of the engine you might see a few to a dozen bhp if you've got a strong one - maybe somewhere around the 185bhp mark (it's hard to say for sure). Your 0-60's won't be affected; that will be determined more by tyre condition, roads, weather temperature, gear changes, etc.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm honestly expecting around 160 bhp my cups got a few issues that need fixed
In which case I'd revise my 185bhp figure I guesstimated for a healthy engine! Maybe 175 if you're lucky. There's little point in adding cams and remap until those issues are fixed (as I'm sure you know!) Good luck with the dyno run and enjoy the car whatever you decide to do.

cup 182
Depending on the health of the engine you might see a few to a dozen bhp if you've got a strong one - maybe somewhere around the 185bhp mark (it's hard to say for sure). Your 0-60's won't be affected; that will be determined more by tyre condition, roads, weather temperature, gear changes, etc.

Aww that's a shame with the 0-60 that's where I hoped it would be a bit quicker, as on the road 70s the limit :)
No point loosing my license for driving over 100 where the police are out in force in my area :( so to spend on cams and remap really won't be worth it if the cars not much quicker for acceleration

cup 182
Where's the dyno out of interest? Where abouts are you in the country?

I'm from near Glasgow, the cars going to falkland performance in Glenrothes fife, he says he's done 100s of cups and loads more as they do rally prep track prep for a lot of cars, issue with mine is I think the speedo sensors gubbed and the exhaust sounds like it's blowing near the cat so will be interesting to see what it achieves

cup 182
So your taking the car to get a dyno run with a blowing exhaust?

Possibly blowing exhaust one day it's fine next it sounds slighty louder and think it may just be a blown exhaust gasket where the cat joins but ideally looking to see what the guy diagnoises for me as he says he would tell me where the cars struggling etc if it does on the run so il know what needs sorted

personally i wouldnt take my car to falkland performance there dyno has broken down a couple of time while theyve had cars on it, theres better in scotland then them HQ performance, extreme motorsport, SWR in Stirling but each to your own

cup 182
personally i wouldnt take my car to falkland performance there dyno has broken down a couple of time while theyve had cars on it, theres better in scotland then them HQ performance, extreme motorsport, SWR in Stirling but each to your own

I never knew that thanks il look around reason I was going to go there was they were doing 2 runs for me for £45

cup 182
Are you going to use it on a drag strip?

Yea I'm wanting to take it to crail and just for it to be a little quicker off the line but it seams to be the only car that even testers cant agree on the actual real 0-60 time, if Clio cup 172 genuinely do 60 in 6.5 secs as iv seen stated il leave the car as it is but I'm thinking renaults 7.2 figure is probably about right, .7 is still a lot to catch up with lol in a standing start I think

Clio 172
Looking to get my 172 on the rollers in the next month or so, it's got cams and will have remap too, I'll let you know what gains I get...