ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Detail

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Finally got round to doing this on Sunday, was struggling for time a little but I'm pretty pleased with the results! I must of had my detailing kit for a while now, and this is the first time I've detailed my own car! I've owned the car for about 2 months now, and I'm loving every second of it!
I would have liked to have taken more pics of the different stages, but as said I was stuggling for time.

General dirt at the start of the day (No, that's not me in the background!):

CIMG1737.jpg

CIMG1738.jpg

CIMG1739.jpg

CIMG1740.jpg

CIMG1741.jpg

CIMG1743.jpg

Snowfoamed:

CIMG1744.jpg

CIMG1745.jpg

Left for 10 minutes (Snowfoam 'holds' much better to the car than general shampoo IMO):

CIMG1747.jpg

Jetted off:

CIMG1748.jpg

The car was then washed using a sheep skin wash mitt, megs shampoo plus and the 2BM. Sills washed:

CIMG1749.jpg

The door shuts wern't too bad, but I gave them a spray with some APC diluted 4:1 anyway:

CIMG1750.jpg

They were then aggitated with a detailing brush:

CIMG1751.jpg

Then rinsed off with the PW (a tough job trying to get water inside the car!):

CIMG1752.jpg

Boot shut also APC'd:

CIMG1753.jpg

Wheels cleaned with I4D Bright Wheels diluted 4:1 and a Vikan Wheel brush:

CIMG1754.jpg

I went over them with some bilberry wheel cleaner after, which I think brought the shine out that little bit better, although maybe if I used the bright wheels neat they would also be able to produce this finish.

Arches were scrubbed with APC 4:1.

The whole car was then rinsed again:

CIMG1755.jpg

I'd clayed the car a few weeks back, but I'd run out of my usual stuff so ended up using the meguairs smooth clay kit, which I personally find too mild. I'd bought some Bilt Hamber hard clay that I wanted to try out, which seemed to do the job well:

CIMG1757.jpg

Clay after half of the roof:

CIMG1758.jpg

I personally think that claying is the most boring part of detailing, but it has to be done and does make a difference!

I used 2 pieces, leaving one in a tub of warm water and alternated between the 2. This keeps the clay warm and easier to work with:

CIMG1760.jpg

Most of the other panels came out like this; not too bad to be honest:

CIMG1761.jpg

Lower half of the car was pretty bad though!

CIMG1763.jpg

There was quite a bit of dirt and grime stuck inbetween the letters on the side bullets, so I gave these a blast with some APC 4:1:

CIMG1762.jpg

After claying, the car was foamed again (not necessary, just for the fun of it! :p):

CIMG1765.jpg

Then shampoo'd again, and dried using a miracle dryer and megs last touch:

CIMG1767.jpg

I then dressed the tyres using a CYC tyre applicator and megs endurance tyre gel (this was done later in the day, but I put it in here anyway). I apply it early on to give it time to dry so that it doesn't splash when you drive off!:

CIMG1789.jpg

I only used last touch on the wheels, as I had applied 3 coats of PB wheel sealent to the wheels several weeks ago, which is still going strong!

Arches dressed with AG Vinyl and Rubber Care.

Taped up (wonky sticker on splitter FTL :():

CIMG1768.jpg

Thickness readings were taken recently and were all around 170 - 180 microns which I was quite pleased with. No signs any resprayed panels either. There were the odd lower spots on the front of the bonnet which were about 120 microns. The bonnet and front bumper are being resprayed next year anyway, so I wasn't too fussed about this.
The swirls arn't very evident due to the colour of the paint, but there were a few scratches here and there. Unfortunately I couldn't pick these up with my camera!

I started out with menzerna PO85RD and a lake country blue (finishing) pad. This removed the swirls but didnt budge the scratches. I stepped up to a white then orange lake country pad, but they stil didn't get rid of some of the deeper scratches which were annoying me!

Time to go for a more abrasive polish, so I chose menzerna 106FA which I love using. The white pad pretty much sorted most of the RDS's, but seeing as the paint was plenty thick I wanted it perfect to stepped up to the orange pad again. This combo did the trick, so I stuck with it :)
I used a megs G220 and CYC orange microfibres to buff off. I start out by putting a line of polish along the diameter of the pad, then after that just 3 pea sized blobs. If the polish starts to build up on the pad I used a megs hard bristle brush to get the majority of it off (without damaging the pad).

I start by doing 2 quick passes at speed 2 to spread the polish in a 12" x 18" area, then another 2 passes at speed 4. At this stage I tend to put enough pressure on so that the pad spins once or twice a second (I put a mark on the backing plate so that I can see this). I then move the pad over the paint at around 1 to 2 inches a second. I then move up to speed up to 5.5, doing 4 passes. I then buff the polish off to check the paint, and if more correction is needed I'll do a few more passes, usually 2 at a time. This is the combo I tend to use, and it seems to work so I stick with it!

Bonnet after:

CIMG1772.jpg

Headlights were given a polish which removed some light scratches although a few deeper chips remained. Ideally I think they need wetsanding to get them perfect:

CIMG1774.jpg

I was keen to do the bumper, as it was pretty badly stone chipped and I was interested to see how it would turn out.

Before:

CIMG1798.jpg

After (a little better, but still not great):

CIMG1800.jpg

Front wing (love the way plastic comes up!):

CIMG1777.jpg

Driver's door:

CIMG1778.jpg

CIMG1779.jpg

Door and wing done, rear quarter untouched:

CIMG1780.jpg

There's definately a difference, but it's not that evident without decent sunlight.

Another pic of the front:

CIMG1781-1.jpg

Compared to the other side which I'd not yet done:

CIMG1782.jpg

The cups come with a wider track, which while is beneficial to the handling, leaves you with stone chips!

CIMG1785.jpg

This was easily sorted with a few extra passes at speed 5.5:

CIMG1786.jpg

Rear quarter corrected:

CIMG1788.jpg

I then decided to give the side strips a polish with the DA. I'd planned on getting these resprayed as Renault don't lacquer them on the cups for some unknown reason (weight save? lol). This is how they looked before:

CIMG1796.jpg

After several hits with the G220 on speed 6, using an SFX-1 spot pad and 106FA:

CIMG1797.jpg

Well pleased with them! Has definately saved me getting them sprayed! They need a bit more work on them just to bring the finish up a little more IMO.

A few more pics:

CIMG1793.jpg

Corrected side:

CIMG1794.jpg

Other side:

CIMG1795.jpg

Yes, I realise I'm using the wrong sized backing plate, this is because I'd forgot the tool to change to my 3.5" backing plate :eek:

Rear bumper (few polish mark trails I've left before taking the pic :eek::

CIMG1805.jpg

Rear quarter corrected:

CIMG1803.jpg

Some light scratches on the door I'd wanted to have a go at for a while:

CIMG1801.jpg

A few extra passes later:

CIMG1802.jpg

Sorted :)

Stone chips again!

CIMG1806.jpg

Corrected:

CIMG1808.jpg

By this time it was getting late, dark and cold and I really had to rush so there's no pics of the next few stages unfortunately! I did try but my camera isn't exactly good at taking pics in the dark, so there's little point posting up what I had.

I finished correcting the roof and the rest of the passenger side of the car, which all went well :)

I'd wanted to try some Lime Prime Lite I'd bought at this stage, but I'd left it at home (didn't put it with my other detailing stuff!) so couldn't try it unfortunately :(

I went over the car with a microfibre to remove all the dust, and to make sure I'd buffed off all the polish.

I was tempted to go with some collinite 472S seeing as winter is approaching, but seeing as I'd bought some Dodo Purple Haze recently I decided to use that. I would of like to applied it by hand, but I simply hadn't got the time so I used a foam applicator.

I then left the wax on for about 15 minutes or so, before buffing off with a CYC microfibre. I then gave the car a quick going over with some last touch, just to remove any marks or holograms left from buffing.

Windows were treated to AG Glass Polish, which was applied then left to haze, then buffed off with a microfibre.

Final pics, only 2 as they were the only good ones I got (I couldn't find my tripod :(). I'm really pleased with the result though! Think the paint almost has a glow to it (wishful thinking lol). I'm hoping to find some time before the end of the week to get some good daylight pics, so I'll post them up when I get some!

Apologies about the blurring, I didn't have the tripod so had to lie on the floor and hold the camera lol. I think the wax is an ideal choice for the colour!

CIMG1814.jpg

CIMG1813.jpg

And that's it! This is only my third detail, and my first write up so any comments/criticism welcome! I would of liked to have done a few extra bits such as waxing the door shuts, but time got the better of me!
Must of burnt a fair few calories today, I was absolutely knackered!

Time taken: 11 hours (plus a pizza break :p)

Golf R/Leon FR
great outcome fella

i did a P reg pug 106 on sunday and it came up brilliantly.

need to spend some time on my own car though lol

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Looking lush noony gomes!!! i cant wait to see it on Thursday night. Shame it took u forever!!!ahahahaha

182 Trophy (#27/500)
2 quick things 1. whos the dopy looking fucker in the second pik??
2. Love ur chubby fingers!!!ahahaha

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Awesome!!! Remindes me of my old Cup :(, they do look mint after a good session!!!!! Looks like a minter you have there

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks lovely :cool:

Although tbh, to the untrained eye, i get the same results with a pressure washer, halfords car wash, sponge & chamois ... i find that a small blob of Turtle wax tyre dressing brings the unlaquered side strips up a treat as well ;)

Anyways, you wanna do mine lol

182 Trophy (#27/500)
Looks lovely :cool:

Although tbh, to the untrained eye, i get the same results with a pressure washer, halfords car wash, sponge & chamois ... i find that a small blob of Turtle wax tyre dressing brings the unlaquered side strips up a treat as well ;)

Anyways, you wanna do mine lol

No offense but thats bs. you might get alot of shite but u will be just covering the swirls in the paint. Get it under and spot lamp and you will see what im talking about. Would love rich to get his finger out and do mine like he has promised for the last 3 months!!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I got my side strips lacquered, makes clening much easier, looks better too! :)

DSC01152.jpg

Last edited:

Si

RS Clio 172
superb work and a good read!

need one of those tyre brush thingys!!! what APC do you use?

Coiley'd Clio PH2
Wow! Those scratches by your door, amazing!
Ddint think it would get ones like that out, seriously gotta get mine done.

Car looks real good though, good effort!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the comments!

APC wise I use megs. I've got some stardrops for when I get round to doing the rear axle etc lol.

As for the sidestrips they would look better lacquered, but I'm pleased with them for now as it cost me sod all lol. I think with a bit more time on them I can get them even better.

Slammed172: Yeh I want a D40 or something along those lines, but keep spending money on mods instead lol.

Sir_Dave: Yeh sometimes I do stand back and think I could get as good a finish with SRP, but with this detail I honestly don't think I could. You gotta see if before and after in the flesh to appreciate the difference paint correction makes really. There's not a lotta difference in the general finish as it looks like it's been well looked after i.e. there's minimal swirls.

1PBY: My fingers aint chubby! Just the way the pic has come out haha.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeh sometimes I do stand back and think I could get as good a finish with SRP, but with this detail I honestly don't think I could. You gotta see if before and after in the flesh to appreciate the difference paint correction makes really. There's not a lotta difference in the general finish as it looks like it's been well looked after i.e. there's minimal swirls.

lol, yeah i know, was messing, i do clay/polish/wax mine fairly often, but yours looks stunning!! Would love to do mine properly like that if im honest, but doing 30k a year in it means there isnt much point, mines a shed :(

On an entirely different note, what mm have you dropped the coilovers by - need to know what to set mine up like ...

Evo 6, E92 320d
Pretty impressive, just bought a udm myself so i will get around to doing mine soon (it desperately needs it)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
lol, yeah i know, was messing, i do clay/polish/wax mine fairly often, but yours looks stunning!! Would love to do mine properly like that if im honest, but doing 30k a year in it means there isnt much point, mines a shed :(

On an entirely different note, what mm have you dropped the coilovers by - need to know what to set mine up like ...

lol no worries mate. Mine's a daily driver too, I only do about 12k ish a year though. There wasn't much point doing it now because of the weather, but I wanted to do it and sort the scratches out etc.

I'm not sure mm wise what they're lowered by mate, it's 4 threads higher on the front than I did have it atm because it was scrubbing a lot. It's only about an inch and a half down from the top though, it can still go about 6 inches of thead lower lol! On the rear I've got the adjuster removed, sits a bit too low IMO but when I get some buckets I'm hoping that taking the stuff outta the back will raise it a little.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
How did you learn how to detail? I wouldnt know where to start with the paint correction

Bit of trial and error tbh mate, seeing what works for you. If you go on detailing world there's a guide to dual action polishing by dave kg thats got a lot of good info :)

You gotta be patient with it though, and it is hard work lol.

Last edited:
  320d
Also are the halogen lamps essential. I wiuldnt mind investing in a machine polisher but lamps etc will cost mega £££'s

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
nice write up rich defo learning the dw way of write ups lol.
have you got your thread up over there yet?
i thought you might use a nice wax instead of collinites just had a feeling you can
slap some on before full on winter sets in a see dodo lasting 2days! with the winter
we get! bet you were gutted the pics were at night the sun would had shown a whole different detail to guys who think it looks the same as an srp jobbie.
some day pics would look awesome mate.
gal

09 GIXXER 750!!!
Hope much was all your detailing kit?? Where did you get it all from? All I use is autoglym!! Which does ok but your cup looks awesome after all that work!

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
nice write up rich defo learning the dw way of write ups lol.
have you got your thread up over there yet?
i thought you might use a nice wax instead of collinites just had a feeling you can
slap some on before full on winter sets in a see dodo lasting 2days! with the winter
we get! bet you were gutted the pics were at night the sun would had shown a whole different detail to guys who think it looks the same as an srp jobbie.
some day pics would look awesome mate.
gal

Cheers! I think I've got the last of the glass pot batch so not sure if that's the more durable recipe or not. It seems to last ok, may put a layer of collinite over it when I next clean it. I usually use clearkote yellow moose and carnauba wax over the top, but I think the dodo brings out the colour a little better. Guess it's probably the polishing that has done that though.

Not put it up on dw yet, I will do at some point today. I was quite pleased with the way the colour looks in those pics, especially seeing as my cam is usually awful for night pics! There's a good place where I took my old car to get pics, hoping to go there again at the weekend if it's sunny lol.

phantom: I don't like to think what I've spent, it's definately near 1k lol

Cheers for all the comments :approve: