ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Different ECU

which is what i have not said......

they are not the same....i realise that they are different characters from teh same family. But its not the same as the 16v/willy relationship. the ENGINES are exactly the same. They are off the same production line, and run the same thing. The only diffs are very minor and the only actual chassis change is the hub orientation to increase castor. Thats it. Lights and aircons aside, im afraid theya re teh same car, although in reality they go about things ina very diff way. And i would love to have a cup, not saying anything bad against it. But in REALITY.....its got new wheels, no jazz (as in aircon and junk) and diff hub orientation.

Sure we could debate it, but whats the point when there is a clear defined answer......;)

No harsh feelings mate......

Cupsize/BenR - whoooa! Step back from the heated debate for a second and think about it....I personally reckon that the 172 and Cup have the same ECU. All the measurable differences in performance, in-gear times are purely down to the weight saving in the Cup.

BenR - regarding your comments about racing a Mk1 in your Mk2. Surely this is, again, a result of the Mk1 being -lighter- rather than anything else. I remember gunning my Mk2 172 down the 1km straight at Bedford, with a Mk1 172 next to me, and he pulled ahead. QED!

The person to settle this debate is none other than Jeremy Towsend...surely he will know? Or maybe Renault are happy to let the debate continue, after all, it only helps their whole marketing scheme for the Cup!

Jeremy!!! thats it!...ROb johnston.....where did i get that!? lol

Thats what i am saying, NO diff ECU.......

Re the point on the ratios......what i was saying is that @ the SAME RPM the MK1 goes faster than the MK2...not a matter of weight.

Why did i notice this, because, if you read, i did say that i was at 7750rpm, going the same speed or loosing ground than him in teh MK1 @ 7250....which is a 500rpm diff. I at no point in the drag race gained any on the MK1.

Which Must mean some change in the final ratio as we changed at relatively the same time, although i was at higher rpm at that time......sorry, hard to understand....

I give up with you lot, It is a different ECU, So there !!!!!

Ive seen it on some official sites and spoken to Reno Sport even my Reno dealer confirmed.

There you go, my last word on it......

320d M Sport

i think Cup owners would like to think its a "better" ECU, again, all helps reno sell the things!!! Well see just how quick they are if one goes to york...... ill be there

i have given supportive theory and evidence and when our cup comes, ill tell u straight.....

But in the end, they will NOT bother with reprogramming and building 2 ECUs for the same engine........totally illogical.

Think what you want,

The ecu has to be diffent -the cup doesnt have side airbags, air con, traction control, ABS, xenon lights, ESB etc so therefore a new ecu would be required to deal with less info! Afterall the ecu is the brain and controls all things in and on the car - the 172 has all these addtional electronic things, so I would imagine the 172 ecu would not work in the cup - logical if you think about it for more than a second!

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 February 2003

I highly highly highly doubt doubt doubt that the actual ENGINE map for ignition, fueling, WOT and accelleration enrighment are any diff from a 172. Im ignoring the computer fiddly bits to do with aircon, abs, winscreen wipers, auto lights and wipers etc etc....

Why, simply because since the parameters ARE so easy to change, why bother having 2 production lines making 2 flippin ecus......economies of scale.

And if they did develop the new map for the cup, then it will auto matically be sent to dealers to update the 172s are we get a new patch every few months when they come in for a service. and the current best map will be used in all current production cars.

End result, its no diff........they just wouldnt bother....if they cant get rid of the clunking noise, why should they bother with the ECU....lol
Which is hwy i specifically said this earlier on!

APART fom the amenities the ECU will be the same. I think most people here are talking about the way the ECU controls the negine, rather than what it does with the climate control and rain/light sensors so on and so forth.

If we are going to be completely silly and pedantic, then YES, the two ECUs WILL ultimately be different as the cup is missing some items that the ECU would normally control. But its simple matter of turning these off. Not removing them from the ECU or even as simple as not putting them on.

Shall we narrow it down to the ENGINE MAP is the same.

is it just one ecu that controls engine and body electrics ? i only ask as usually these would be kept seperate in my experience there is a body electrics ecu which deals with electric windows cl etc etc and a dedicated ecu for fuelling timing etc so specifically dealing with engine control

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 01 March 2003

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 25 February 2003

I highly highly highly doubt doubt doubt that the actual ENGINE map for ignition, fueling, WOT and accelleration enrighment are any diff from a 172. Im ignoring the computer fiddly bits to do with aircon, abs, winscreen wipers, auto lights and wipers etc etc....

Why, simply because since the parameters ARE so easy to change, why bother having 2 production lines making 2 flippin ecus......economies of scale.

And if they did develop the new map for the cup, then it will auto matically be sent to dealers to update the 172s are we get a new patch every few months when they come in for a service. and the current best map will be used in all current production cars.

End result, its no diff........they just wouldnt bother....if they cant get rid of the clunking noise, why should they bother with the ECU....lol
Which is hwy i specifically said this earlier on!

APART fom the amenities the ECU will be the same. I think most people here are talking about the way the ECU controls the negine, rather than what it does with the climate control and rain/light sensors so on and so forth.

If we are going to be completely silly and pedantic, then YES, the two ECUs WILL ultimately be different as the cup is missing some items that the ECU would normally control. But its simple matter of turning these off. Not removing them from the ECU or even as simple as not putting them on.

Shall we narrow it down to the ENGINE MAP is the same.
I agree that we should and that they are the same.