ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup economy

PB 182 (1 of 29)

I am currrently the owner of a Honda Civic Type-R and a Willams 1.

I use the Civic for the daily slog to work (400 miles a week) and the clio for fun at weekends (the civic is fast but not as much fun as the Clio!).

However, the Civic likes a drop or two of the unleaded (24-28mpg on a good week) and when you are doing 400 miles a week the £50+ fuel bill hurts.

Have considered buying a diesel (the potential boredom pains me though), then I saw a magazine state that their 172 cup was returning 35mpg despite being driven fairly hard.

What kind of figures do you guys and gals get from your 172s and 172 cups?

Tell me the right figures I will soon be the proud owner of two great clios!

Cheers people

deZ

34 ish on the motorway sitting around the ton, low 30s for short fast journeys in town, they are pretty good on fuel, its a cup i have

Meg on pistonheads £6995

I get 72mpg from my TURBO D Sport.

Youd save a GRAND a year on fuel on 20K miles! Plus grp 3 insurance, 18K service intervals and £110 Tax.

These are nippy as standard, but better with a few mods. Ive just had lowered springs and 17s fitted (what a difference!). Superchips NEXT -172lb/ft torque in a 980kg car! (thats 25lb/ft MORE than a 172)

I wanted a 172, but Im more than happy with my D!

Even with ALL the mods including superchips, it will only have cost £11K with air and metallic.

Clio Williams No123

35mpg in me Cup

I dont thrash it too much to be honest. Its mostly driving on the back roads to work, not a lot of ton driving.

Cup 172

I get between 32 & 34mpg knocking around town. For the performance per pound on offer there arent too many cars that match the 172 for economy.

Mine is returning 30 MPG and it gets a good caining all the time, varied driving, no motorway!!!!

But yeah you can see 35+ as an average no problem - with less spirited driving!!

PB 182 (1 of 29)

Cheers chaps, will head for a test drive at the weekend and I am sure my mind will be made up, the diesel modded option is also one I am considering too, I will still have the Williams for the weekend so I might be better off with £1000 quid in my pocket and a DCi on my drive.

Am also a little concerned over the reliability of new cups etc, carsurvey.org has loads of scare stories!

what do you chaps think?

Quote: Originally posted by Si172 on 23 February 2004

My record is 54.6 in the Cup. Regularly get 35-40mpg.
i get around the same in a cup, down to low 20s on track though hahaha ! ohwell !

Definetly look at a DCi.. very good on fuel. Ok, so not as quick.. but you do have a Williams for that! :D

and the mpg average for those 172s/Cup that have done 138,000 between them is, at a guess, 35 !! and that includes London driving, motorway driving, and short distances as well - so pretty much a good cross section !

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Driving like a granny at 60-70mph I have seen a steady 45MPG, again this is by the onboard computer, but I have found it to be quite accurate.

I manage to get around 41mpg driving on A5 every day doing 500 - 600 miles a week going at 70mph to 80mph most of the time

For my 172, worst was 28mpg town driving, best ~39mpg long motorway run. These are calculated at fill-up.

The trip computer has ranged from 31mpg to 46mpg+ but seems to be reading ~20% over.

The onboard computer is very accurate According to my calculations its over reads by 0.5%.

I recomend buying a diesel with the miles. Youll save a fair bit. I get ~55mpg driving my DCI 65 hard all the time. Seems a waste gettign performacne car for the drive to and from work. Best thing about a diesel as well is you dont have to stop all the time to fill it up so less time wasted standing round in the cold and less impulse buys at the petrol station so it saves you even more money.

EDD

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 23 February 2004

The onboard computer is very accurate According to my calculations its over reads by 0.5%.
My GFs 1.6 RXE is fairly accurate, but my 172, no chance! Can a dealer rectify this?