ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup faster than M3..

i dont think so. Just read the test of Porsche SUV in Evo issue #55. Cayenne Turbo around Bedford Autodrome 1.26.85 same as BMW M3, impressive for a SUV!! EVO issue #50 Clio Cup 1.26.30

Enlighten me.

Lars

Clio v6

Seriously though. I do think an M3 would have blown away a Cup.

Either that or with a light breeze behind it, the Cup would just simply have blown away.

M3 would murder a cup........? and the handling of the cup is pretty sh*te really.......very boaty.........gonna have to do something soon about that..........any suggestions?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 30 April 2003

M3 would murder a cup........? and the handling of the cup is pretty sh*te really.......very boaty.........gonna have to do something soon about that..........any suggestions?
buy an m3..

Nah, I meant to cure the boatiness - but buying an M3 is another option - sorry BenR but why the attitude? Am I not a lot a say or something anymore?

ooooops

Sorry.....totally my fault....my humble apologies!

i thought you were someone else who is constantly moaning and moaning about his clio (dont have time for whingers)....then i remembered that it was a MK1, not a cup..

Again, hope you can forgive me!!! im crying.....oh the shame!

Soz mate

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by CUPSIZE? on 30 April 2003

Nah, I meant to cure the boatiness - but buying an M3 is another option - sorry BenR but why the attitude? Am I not a lot a say or something anymore?
I guess some suspension mods are in the works then.. I would never really describe my 172 as boaty.. although there is certainly room for improvement.

when people say "boaty" i think VW Golfs (the new ones anyway)

Cupsize.

Finally got the White 17" Speedline Turinis on the car and put Bridgestone SO3s on and can say that it transforms the handling of the car. I live on the road where Ford Europe do most of their B-road testing in the UK and its full of neg cambers etc and the CUP will now drive true and straight through them and wheels load up nicely rather than getting that skittish/squirmish feeling of the car not knowing which way to go next.

I am now very happy with the handling and the tramlining/tourque steer sensation under heavy acceleration has been virtually erradicated.

I did 0 - 62s the other day with GPS and a stopwatch in the dry and got the follwing: 6.6;6.7;6.65 & 6.6 so I can say its pretty rapid and you can get the power down better.

Ill get some piccies up with the new wheels on asap.

172CUP

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by 172Cup on 30 April 2003

...and the tramlining/tourque steer sensation under heavy acceleration has been virtually erradicated...
Same happend to me.. all gone.. and all I did was change the crappy contis to toyo proxes..

BMW X5, Exige 260.

The cup could be in the M3 league around certain tracks, with a preponderance of tight bends and no long straights - is the Evoconfigured Bedford track like that?

why?

the pure grip level of the M3 would mean it can hold more corner speed and chanign directions isnt a problem for it either.

Same driver, it will got faster......325bhp does that. lol

Quote: Originally posted by zoog on 30 April 2003

The cup could be in the M3 league around certain tracks, with a preponderance of tight bends and no long straights - is the Evoconfigured Bedford track like that?
um no mate i work for bmw and have been out in the 341bhp E46 M3 and can safelt say it would chew you up and spit you out, these cars are awesome and pull hard from idle right through to the limiter :D

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

sorry but an M3 V. a Cup/172 .. unless the cup is 2x faster than the 172 with 100x better handling then there is no way.. same driver in both cars a cup would get wasted..

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 30 April 2003

sorry but an M3 V. a Cup/172 .. unless the cup is 2x faster than the 172 with 100x better handling then there is no way.. same driver in both cars a cup would get wasted..
voice of reason £13,000 of car against £45,000 mmmmmm ill go get nasa to work it out for me

Well it depends on conditions, who was driving, might of even been a typo?

It is true though, an M3 would wipe its ass with a Cup, its quite fun watching 330s with the M-tec bodykits overtaking everybody and then whizzing past them in the M3.

-Rob

fruitless argument, the m3 is a fair bit faster. i know its not the be all and end all but comparing power/weight:

cup approx 175bhp/tonne (depending on which weight you believe)

m3 (343bhp, 1570kg) = 218 bhp/tonne.

still i think potential for a race providing there are no significant straights and the m3 driver is a girl (generic girl, i.e. drives like a fanny/over sunbedded nancy boy)

but yeah, the m3 is faster.

conclusion

the cups bluer than the red m3

pugboy

finally somebody bothers comparing bhp/ton and actual weight. Your stats show the M3 has the advantage although it has to shed half as much energy to stop given its weight.

Now a 200hp cup would be an other matter..