ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup Knocking

Knocking seems to be coming from the back of the Cup. You can recreate the sound each time when driving along really steady say in third and you just tap the accelerator and release and its as if something at the back of the car has gone forward with the momentum and then because the car has slowed immediately its gone back and knowcked against something. If you accellerate really smoothly then no problems its only as I say of the momentum of the car changes abrubtly.

Does anyone recognise this, I of course checked everything in the bootwell to see if anything is loose but all seems ok, seems to be something under the car at the back or something.

Cheers

Chris

Nippy white cup

Mine does the same thing, but I think it sounds like its near the front and you can feel the knock through the floor near you feet.

Chris

Are you considering taking your in for them to have a look at?

Anyone else had this and been advised what it is?

Cheers

Chris

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

is the exhaust hitting the heat sheild?(centre section).the heat sheilds are quite fragile and easily bent if you catch something on the road.

Cars only done 800 miles and granted Ive only heard the knocking start over the last few days so probably only covered 100 miles at the absolute most. Im 99.9% certain I have not hit anything under the car.

Any other ideas anyone?

Quote: Originally posted by The Maive on 26 January 2004

Are you considering taking your in for them to have a look at?

Anyone else had this and been advised what it is?

Cheers

Chris
Sounds like my problem. Its most obvious if Im crawling in traffic in first or second gear.........let the revs build a little then lift of the accelerator abruptly and theres a single clunk/knock from the front of the car.........sounds like its high up on the drivers side. Had a thorough look and theres nothing obvious. Dealer said theres been a problem with the engine mountings (high up on drivers side) being too "soft" so it allows too much movement. It was changed and I couldnt provoke the noise again despite trying........then it came back after a few hundred miles. Im still not sure that it really was the engine mounting and no-one could tell me what was knocking.......any ideas ?

Youre right I can recreate the problem each time beween 1 and about 20 miles an hour in first or second and sometimes third if doing a low enough speed. Speed up a little and lift off and then clunk. Its really annoying as I spend 30 minutes of my journey to work every morning on the M56 doing this kind of driving and this is driving me up the wall. Im going to ring the garage and have it taken in, anyone else out there with a Cup/172 noticed this problem? I dont want to be fobbed off my Renault as Ive done this journey in five different cars and none of the others ever did this.

Cheers, Chris