ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup or 172

Mmmm well thats the question really. Ive decided that i am going to get a nice new clio. Well not quite new but a 02 plate. The main problem is i will be 20 this wednesday so the insurance will be a f**ker but hey, it worth it.

What im wandering is what are the main differences in the cup and 172? the insurance for a cup is cheaper than a 172 aswell. Duno why!

Also is red the rarest colour because i havnt seen and red cups for sale anywhere.

Cheers Phil

Id go for the 172 as imho its an easier car to drive over the cup.

The cup is a more raw down to earth vehicle, it was meant to be a track day car, thus the reason it was stripped of its little extras, it will also take a more experienced driver to drive one quicker and even at 20 i wouldnt say you would be overly experienced, so the 172 is a more sensible choice (plus you have the added bonus of the likes of ebd and abs, and you will miss that a/c in summer ;)).

Tony

You cant get red cups.

Id wait a year if I were you. It will be cheaper when you are 21. Maybe get a VTR or VTS/106 to aquaint you with a quicker car first.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!

cup and the 172 are both good cars wouldnt really say there was that much difference!!!!

Remapped derv Golf

Gonna pay the insurance companies managing directors wages for the year are you?:)

Insurance depend lots on where you live! I have a friend who got a Cup when he was 19 and Tesco did it for around £1800 I think.

Yeah insurace will be about £1700 on either. Im thinking 172 aswell as i want a red one. also the comforts of a/c and abs will be nice.

Im 20. Bought a 172 as i do alot of miles and it really nice when the weather crap like it is now. Late at night in the dark on the way home from work you can drive like a complete ring piece and the ESP and ABS just sorts it out!!!

Problem ive found with the 172 is it SO comfortable that it s very easy to travel VERY quickly without reaslising it. The 172 isnt that focused as a "Hot Hatch" so im getting a De-cat supersprint this week to hopefully sort that problem out!!

Oh and the insurance at 20 is well worth it. Dont think of it as £2000 think of it as £20 per week extra than a cack car!!!

Cup all the way!!!

You get used to no ABS, it just requires you to brake differently. There is a lot of feel on the pedal, you know if it is about to lock up on the limit. Personally I dont get into situations where ABS is needed, I think its called awareness and good driving, and yes I do drive hard all the time!! Must admit though in an emergency situation in the wet especially, ABS would be usefull. But an emergency by definition is thankfully few and far between.

The Cup is a racing car, the 172 a compromise, depends what youre after.

Quote: Originally posted by wackojacko on 30 November 2003

Im 20. Bought a 172 as i do alot of miles and it really nice when the weather crap like it is now. Late at night in the dark on the way home from work you can drive like a complete ring piece and the ESP and ABS just sorts it out!!!

HAHAHA BullSh?t, you think if you drive to fast for the conditions ABS/ESP will save you thats complete and utter rubbish.

The Cup was intended as a product for the more discerning enthusiast - as the Williams was. If youre happy paying relatively more (used, at least) for a car with less equipment and will appreciate the extra 10% (?) driving enjoyment that the Cup offers, then go for it.

Just my 2ps worth, but I cant see how ABS is so imperative. Yes, its a useful safety tool and I wouldnt delete it as an option. Remeber though that the Cup wont get you into any worse situations than a Williams or 205 GTi would - neither of which have ABS. If you think like that, then you dont really need ABS. The Williams also deliberately came without ABS (an option on the 16V), so the ABS debate is nothing new.