ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup or 172?

clio 1.2 16v
iv jus got back from lookin at a 172 cup. i like it but i am unsure on a few things so i was hopin someone could help me!

is there any difference in the engine peformance between the cup and the standard 172, also is there any difference in insurance? i cant decide which to get!!

Monaro VXR
No difference in engine. And sholdnt be much difference with insurance. The cars are basically identical the cups just more of a drivers car hence the no ABS bit and a few other bits and pieces.

SLK 350
No, both are insurance group 16.

The engines are also exactly the same, only difference is a Cup is 80kg lighter, and has no refinements like leather seats/ac/headlamp washers/auto wipers/abs/esp.

Personally unless your an out and out racer who will be competing in track days i think the full fat 172 is the better option. The Cup has better suspension setup and nicer alloys but thats all i can really say aobut it.

Black Gold 182
i have always thought that I dont want a Cup. But there seems to be alot more of them for sale than full fat 172's . i do like the Blue of the Cup.....but want my creature comforts!!!

im really not sure which i would go for, much prefer the looks of the cup, and would hope the suspension is better, but things like the leather and ABS are more appealing in the full fat..

Ad

MK2 FRS
Cup was a bout £80 more expensive than the fullfat to insure when I bought my 172.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
sit in a cup then sit in a full fat......
difference is huge

clio 1.2 16v
i think to be honest a cup would b wasted on me i wouldnt really appreciate it! plus me and a car with no ABS probly shouldntr evr b put together, and i do like my comforts in a car. plus i can get a 172 in black which is the colour i really want.

RS Clio 200
It depends how much driving you expect to do - I only drive my Cup at weekends so the missing "full-fat" extras aren't much of a problem.

The ABS in my GTi6 only cut in once in 2 years so I didn't think that much of a problem either.

If you expect to do a lot of miles then I'd be tempted to go for the full fat.

However 172 Cups are much rarer (or exclusive!)

All depends what you want, there the same engine same bhp, but quite different in some respects.

My brother for instance likes how my cup looks but likes his leather, ABS, traction control etc etc.

So hes thinking of buying a full fat 172/182 next year when he changes his car.

He can live with the slightly slower acceleration and not as lively handling as he has a bike for that and wants something that get him from A to B in a certain amount of comfort but still has some poke to it.

I on the other hand have never given a t*ss about creature comforts, and in the past have owned some seriously basic yet seriously fun cars.

I like a car that I can throw around some bends at speed, only two cars I have ever owned have had ABS and only one had leather so I don't miss that, if I want air con I will open a window and I don't mind getting a cd out of my glove box and putting it in myself instead of having a changer do it for me.

Both cars are fun to drive, the Cup being that bit more fun, so it depends on who you are.

If you want to get to your destination in comfort and click on your AC when its gets hot, getting out of your car feeling relaxed and refreshed then get the full fat.

If you want to arrive at your destination by going through the back roads, throwing you car into every turn before screeching to a halt and getting out of your car wild eyed with a big grin on your face shouting "AGAIN, AGAIN!" then get a cup.

Its horses for courses and depends on what you want from a car....

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
if you drive hard imo ABS is essential .dont care how great anyones driving is its still saves lives, i drive all over the country (20k pyear) on unfim roads and abs has kicked in a few VERY important times) ive driven both (have a 172) and didnt find much diffrence really.

this will upset some people--- sorry imo---cups seats just say corsa to me. The cup didnt feel as cool (from inside the car) to.

sorry cups---still a wicked car though either way

A lot of Cup owners (me included) dump the stock seats and stick in buckets anyway, as they are as you say cr*p!

The Cup no matter what people say is the better handling car but this is only going to be really apparent depending on how/where you drive, after all thats what the Cup was designed for.

The ABS argument can go on and on, ten or so years ago ABS was a luxury, theres as many accidents now as there were then, I have only had ABS kick in on me twice and that wasn't through driver error on my part, but I admit that the first time it saved my life (when some a*sehole decided to cut me up when I was doing 90 and he was doing about 60!).

And someone with ABS can still end up being cut out of a car as many fast cars with ABS lose it all the time.

It really depends what your used to, I am old enough not to have had many cars with ABS and I have lived through it, if you take chances and drive recklessly in any car ABS or not you may not live to regret it.

And even F1 drivers crash its just whether you see ABS as a must on your car or not, we all take risks everytime we step out of the door.

I like both the full fat and the Cup and have driven both and prefer the Cup, if interior looks and driver aids are what floats your boat then the full fat is for you, In an ideal world I would have a Cup for weekends and a full fat to get me around in the week, but we don't live in an ideal world unfortunetly!

BigD said:
A lot of Cup owners (me included) dump the stock seats and stick in buckets anyway, as they are as you say cr*p!

The Cup no matter what people say is the better handling car but this is only going to be really apparent depending on how/where you drive, after all thats what the Cup was designed for.

The ABS argument can go on and on, ten or so years ago ABS was a luxury, theres as many accidents now as there were then, I have only had ABS kick in on me twice and that wasn't through driver error on my part, but I admit that the first time it saved my life (when some a*sehole decided to cut me up when I was doing 90 and he was doing about 60!).

And someone with ABS can still end up being cut out of a car as many fast cars with ABS lose it all the time.

It really depends what your used to, I am old enough not to have had many cars with ABS and I have lived through it, if you take chances and drive recklessly in any car ABS or not you may not live to regret it.

And even F1 drivers crash its just whether you see ABS as a must on your car or not, we all take risks everytime we step out of the door.

I like both the full fat and the Cup and have driven both and prefer the Cup, if interior looks and driver aids are what floats your boat then the full fat is for you, In an ideal world I would have a Cup for weekends and a full fat to get me around in the week, but we don't live in an ideal world unfortunetly!

You could just get a Cupped 182 thats the best of both worlds imho.

Remapped derv Golf
In the "real" world there is hardy any difference in performance. The Cup feels more responsive due to it's lighter weight. The Cup does handle a bit better though.

If I was buying again it would be a Black 172 with Turini's and Cup spoilers.

172 Cup & 600BHP supra
I have driven my mates 172 and loved it, then i got my cup and i cant stop grinning! The full fat is a great car, but the cup is sooo much more fun to drive. Trust me, you wont really miss the creature comforts, and dont worry about ABS as the brakes are setup so they should not lock unless you stop on them v. heavily.

Cup all the way (and dont go for the half harted 182cup)

Adamf said:
In the "real" world there is hardy any difference in performance. The Cup feels more responsive due to it's lighter weight. The Cup does handle a bit better though.

If I was buying again it would be a Black 172 with Turini's and Cup spoilers.

Its not about Performance in a Cup, I think thats the point all the Cup owners are trying to make, the 0-60 difference is pretty minimal and they have the same top speed, straight line performance isn't what driving a Cup is about.

The responsivness and better handling is what makes Cup owners love there Cup's, Cup packs on a 182 make the car better, but its not the best of both worlds in my eyes.

I like the rawness of the Cup and I am the first to admit its not for everyone, but its the closest car I've had to my 205 GTI which was a laugh a minute and didn't really have much in the way of driver aids or toys.

I would like to drive a 182 Cup to see how it compares to the 172, people say its the softer option but I wouldn't like to say until I had driven it for myself.

If I had the money like I said I would have both the full fat and the cup but I would seriously mod the Cup for the track and keep the full fat standard.

The debate could just rage on as full fat drivers and Cup drivers love there cars and rightly so, we just want different things from our driving experience, for the starter of this thread I'm thinking that a 182 with Cup packs would be the perfect choice, don't have to give up your toys and its that little bit edgier than the normal full fat.

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine
kitty kat said:
me and a car with no ABS probly shouldntr evr b put together, and i do like my comforts in a car. plus i can get a 172 in black which is the colour i really want.

You don't want a 172 Cup then.

172 /megane cab
reckon a cup will all ways be worth more waht with there not as many about and yeah look at the 182 s most go for the cup pack

182BG
as mentioned before, it all depends on what you want from a car.
i only do short trips in my car, im not bothered about luxurys and the brakes on the cup are pretty impresive even know its not abs (if you drive safely then abs or not it wont matter) so in light of that, for me, its a 172Cup all the way :p

Not everyone wants the trivial toys that notoriously break though do they? Seriously, I know the 182 is a better all rounder, but I've never understood why some people dont understand that for other people, the Cup is a better choice?

Some folk would rather lose the 'toys' in favour of a (small) weight loss and a price drop. Others wouldnt. I think the full fat is the better all round car, but I've honestly lost count of the times I've read posts on here with people complaining about something broken and I've thought "my cup doesnt have that"

Off the top of my head - Xenon problems, whirring climate fans, windscreen wipers packing up for no reason, leaking lamp washers, vibrating engine covers...etc. etc.

Last edited:
  Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
was at pod in my cup, with group n ecu, exhhaust etc and it was a lot quicker than most 182's that were there. i got v high 14's at quickest, i didnt see one dip below 15.5.....

id like to thinkk it was the driver but i think id be kidding myself!! lol

Scirocco GT 210
davesrealgood said:
was at pod in my cup, with group n ecu, exhhaust etc and it was a lot quicker than most 182's that were there. i got v high 14's at quickest, i didnt see one dip below 15.5.....

id like to thinkk it was the driver but i think id be kidding myself!! lol

I know of someone who got 14.6 in his standard full fat 182 at the Pod

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Roy Munson said:
I think the full fat is the better all round car, but I've honestly lost count of the times I've read posts on here with people complaining about something broken and I've thought "my cup doesnt have that"

Off the top of my head - Xenon problems, whirring climate fans, windscreen wipers packing up for no reason, leaking lamp washers, vibrating engine covers...etc. etc.

Talking a lot of sence there mate, like your thinking

Roy Munson said:
Wow they've really taken to weight saving to the extreme on the cups these days haven't they! :eek:

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Pete said:
Wow they've really taken to weight saving to the extreme on the cups these days haven't they! :eek:

i think you will find hes referring to the automated wiper machanism :p

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
lol bloody good point, its like the bulls**t civic type r debate - who really gives a fu*k!

Black 172
If you want slightly better handling and aint bothered about creature comforts go for the cup, if you want the creature comforts and still have performance go for the full fat 172. I own a full fat black 172 and i have been in a cup and for me personally i prefer my 172 any day. Thats just my opinion, if i was going on track every weekend and wasnt bothered about air con leather trim, abs etc then i would get a cup!. For every day driving my 172 is great i have the power and the comfort.

If you want a slightly more comfortable car and aint bothered about having superior handling, more responsive, more performance then go for a full fat 172. I own a 2003 172 Cup and I have been in/driven a full fat 172 and for me personally I prefer the Cup any day. Thats just my opinion, if I was doing 100 business miles a day and wasn't bothered about handling,performance etc i'd get a....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................DieselVectra :p

Peddled device
My Cup was £10.5K with just 17 miles on the clock.......f***ing bargain!
If l'd had more cash l would have gone for a secondhand Focus RS not a new full-fat 172 mainy because its rarer and more full-on. If l hadn't had the £10.5K to spend l would have kept my 205gti.Its all about what YOU want....not what you think your mates would like!

MKIII 138
RALLYPUG said:
My Cup was £10.5K with just 17 miles on the clock.......f***ing bargain!
If l'd had more cash l would have gone for a secondhand Focus RS not a new full-fat 172 mainy because its rarer and more full-on. If l hadn't had the £10.5K to spend l would have kept my 205gti.Its all about what YOU want....not what you think your mates would like!

true. as an example id bet my shoes that a 205gti is more FUN than a 310bhp Subaru impreza sti ppp i just know it would be. all those computers and 4wd keeping it together where is the fun in a modern car ??? the cup could have 150bhp and a.) power to weight would be simular as 172MKII and b.) it would still be more fun

the cup is about thrills and the fact that you could have spills. whats more exciting bungee jumping with a safety rope or base jumping !

Remapped derv Golf
trills and spills mean feck all round here. I envy you people who live in the sticks with decent roads, fewer speed cameras, less pot holes and less police.