ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cup or subaru

i have a clio cup and have just seen this car - impreza turbo 2001 Y plate. full leather interior, air con and 18" oz supperlegger alloy. The car is mint the engine bay was cleaner than my cup. OH the best bit - has fully subaru history has had oil change every 3,000 miles and 7 stamps in book!. 15,000 miles covered. £12,000. should i get it. was going to offer 11,500.

Street Triple R

its up to you really, it depends which car will suit you best for the type of driving you do. The subaru will cost more to own though, insurance/petrol/servicing etc

From my experience i would say stick with the Cup, although ive never actually been in a UK Impreza Turbo, ive been in some of the import versions, old shape WRX STIs etc and in my opinion, for my type of driving, (mostly town) the Cup is the better car, sure its not quite as quick, but its more fun In my opinion.

Still, im sure the UK model is better for this country than the WRX STIs that ive been in so basically its up to you lol

if youve got the cash for petrol and servicing (and just in case something goes wrong and you dont have warranty) then get it.

Is it the bug eye?

If so I have had one, and the cup is more fun.....and about as fast.

If you must get an impreza, make sure its a fast one!

Dave

LY 200

If you have plenty of spare cash you dont mind chucking at a car then of corse, why the need to ask il never know!!!;)

Scooby all the way!!!

Massey6465 & saxo1.1

I used to have a Skoob,I wouldnt have another due the running costs-but they are great cars,everyone knows that. If you have plenty of spare cash(it WILL eat it!) and your hearts in it,go have a look!

The slow Subarus are so unbelievably gay...the last time i drove one was at castle combe and the thing was a horrible slow piece of poo. In laymans terms, that means it was sh*t!

Do not get confuse it with the higher powered STI+ versions, youll be disappointed after having the Cup.

-Rob

as above ^^ i seriously pissed off a lad i know who used to be a member of the "i own a subaru its clearly the fastest thing on the road even if its a uk 215bhp version" crew. told him my car was as quick if not quicker and would outhandle his, didnt believe it until i proved it by going head to head with him, funnily havnt heard from him since lol.

UK Specs are ok - for 12k you could pick up an early type r - 280bhp, adjustable diff, water spray, close ration box - makes sense!!

for example on autotrader:

javascript more_info200507181920598,56, CARS ,1,200507181920598,490,560;"> SUBARU IMPREZA STI TYPE R 2000 cc Turbo/U Japanese Imports UK ltd 2 Doors, Manual 5 speed, Coupe, Petrol, 56,000 miles, White. 16" alloy wheels, airbag double, beautiful condition, bumper and mirror in color, CAT 1 ALARM, intercooler water spray, long mot, mirrors . . . . (trade)

£10995

1998 S Reg SUBARU IMPREZA TYPE RA 2 DOOR V LIMITED
20,000 miles, In Sonic Blue. You are not looking at your run of the mill scooby we believe there are only 300 of these made, this is one of only 3 or 4 version subarus with 300 bhp standard from factory to celebrate the 96, 97, 98 World Rally Champions. The RAs where the base for Subarus Prodrive rally cars and come with fully uprated and toughened engine and transmission system including thicker drive shafts heavy duty bushes and aluminum body panels that along with the up-rated super close ratio gearbox make it one of the quickest 0-60 imprezas ever built (4.2 secs) also has very rare factory fitted rally spec roof vent, s/s exhaust and after market 17" alloys with new Goodyear tyres.This car is so rare we have never seen one in 9 years of tradeing. Finished in the most sought after Sonic Blue. Will come with mot and tax R.A.C. warranty available. Not often does the chance to get your hands on an impreza like this come along, i will say it again this is a seriously rare impreza. Serious buyers only. Decals can be removed if not to your taste £11,995.

it may be older than the one u are looking at but they are a much better car and hold there value so much more!!

Anything you need to know about the type r just give me a PM!

[Edited by Justy on 25 February 2005 at 9:47am]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

STis are great, though the WRXs arent too bad either - even if they arent as mental or as quick.

If you can be patient, the new 2005 model WRX is out in the spring. This will undoubtedly push down the prices of the current models. In fact, some of the guys on ScoobyNet are quoting your budget figure of £11k-£12k for a 53 plate WRX.

Question is, can you wait that long?! :D

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

go classic shape if any! the others are too heavy and not really that quick unless they are the sti upwards models!

i miss my classic since the day i sold it.........would have another like a shot..........thats if i hadnt bought a house instead !

still regular sex is better than any car !

It would be the clio all the way for me. I best thing is that it can be driven like a little hatchback, and if you feel like it you can leave people for dust aswell.

I love my 172, but I do agree with homer, sex is better, just.

Dont even think twice about it. Ive got a 172 now, having sold my Impreza turbo a year ago. 172 is OK but Scoob was the business. Ok, its not that much faster than the Cup, but so much better in terms of driving position, build quality and SOUND.

If you can afford to run the Scoob, theres no competition in my book. I WILL have another one one day.

Very difficult IMO. Ive had both and If someone offered me my Scoob back tomorrow It would take me a while to decide. Mine was only 215bhp when I got it but I modded it to 240bhp very easily. Yes I agree with those that say the RSClios are more fun and they definately handle better but from a standing/slow start they are nothing like as quick...sorry but they arent. If you can run it because as people have said they ARE expensive to run then the car you have described sounds like a good un.

Mike

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I murdered a Bug Eyed WRX (non sti I think) at Santa Pod. To make it worse I didnt even get a good time so his must have been terrible.

I suspect you may be disapointed with the straight line speed, they are an old car now. But throw it down a lumpy B road in the wet or dry and they are great fun.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

buy eye wrx are slow, you should batter em mate! they only run in the 14s which is poor for a 4x4 2.0 turbo imo

Street Triple R

in my opinion i really think that the old shape UK turbo model is the best one to go for

ive been in a few Imprezas and personally i found the STI to be too harsh for out sort of roads we have over here, and that the UK turbo is a better suited car

I also think that the Cup is more fun than pretty much any Scoob.

however i would take my Lancer Evo 2 back right this second if i could, better than any scooby if you ask me

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 25 February 2005

in my opinion i really think that the old shape UK turbo model is the best one to go for

ive been in a few Imprezas and personally i found the STI to be too harsh for out sort of roads we have over here, and that the UK turbo is a better suited car

I also think that the Cup is more fun than pretty much any Scoob.

however i would take my Lancer Evo 2 back right this second if i could, better than any scooby if you ask me
Spec C, Type 25 ;)

If you going for a scoob then I would said get a Tyre r as been mentioned allready.

Friend owns one and its a very good car, thats comming from an Evo owner :)

actually sitting in it it feels very much like my Evo3, raw and fun.

Friends tyre r is tuned etc and he has just had a front mount and oil cooler(not standard) + with all his other things like motec/turbo he is touching 400bhp so will make bit of a monster.

also a bit of fun with the diff control :)

Quote: Originally posted by Chief Brodie on 26 February 2005

Spec C, Type 25 ;)

Awesome cars.

suggest you watch best motoring factory fighters

Evo 8mr rs 1

Scoob Spec C 0 ;)

mind you if anyone actually believes they use out of the dealer cars for these test then they need to wake up :p (both evo and scooby)

I,ve had a bug eye and an sti8, sti8 - good all round car but always going at least 20 mph faster than you should and fuel/servicing/insurance bit of a nightmare if you do many miles. Have just ordered 182 cup ( shock horror - not full fat ) because I enjoyed test drive so much- was so much more responsive and hopefully will be more on the twisties.

renaultsport clio 182

my cuz as got a turbo 2000 standard and beleive me theirs nothing in it mines a ph1 172 set off hes got the edge upto 40 fuc all in after and he will even admit this(says hed wished hed bought a clio 172 sport to save a lot of coin)lol.bless him scoobys and rs clios 172 +182 will kick ass,give me a clio rs lol.;)