ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Cup suspension - a question

Clio 182, Audi A3
I've asked this before, but everyone thinks I'm mad. Is it possible to fit the Cup suspension to my 182 but retain the standard springs and dampers? I want the Cup geometry but our local roads are awful and a hard ride would wreck both car and driver.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
If you retained your standard springs and dampers would you not just be retaining your standard 182 setup. I am not exactly sure what the subtle differences were but am pretty sure those 2 components would play a large part.
Could you not have the geometry set up as per a cup?

Grandad said:
I've asked this before, but everyone thinks I'm mad. Is it possible to fit the Cup suspension to my 182 but retain the standard springs and dampers? I want the Cup geometry but our local roads are awful and a hard ride would wreck both car and driver.

I've fitted 172 Cup springs and dampers to my MK2 172. I was worried about a harsher ride as my local roads are fcking miserable too, but I've been really suprised by the massive improvement in turn in, stability, getting power down out of corners and general fun factor....and the extra stiffness is barely noticeable.

I know the 182 Cup suspension is a bit lower and stiffer than the 172 Cup suspension, but remembering the test drives I had in a 182 Cup a 182 Trophy on the same roads that I drive in my car, there's not that much in it. If I were you I wouldn't hesitate in fitting the springs and dampers.

I have a cupped 182 and do not find the ride harsh.
IMO the car rolls too much under cornering and braking. I am hoping to resolve this with a set of coilovers but for me I would be willing to give up some comfort for a sharper better handling car.
One option would be to go for a set of Eibach pro springs which would lower the car and tighten up the handling without upsetting ride quality to much (do not know this from experience but they are rated on here).
At the end of the day making the car stiffer and sharper is going to make the ride harsher.